~ How soon will you mow the lawn? ~

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
No sooner does the last snowflake melt, and my wife has me out raking the yard and blowing out the garden! I know that cutting the grass for the 1st time, initiates growth, but I think I'm going to wait for things to dry out a little bit more.

CycloneSupt6

Dec 18, 2008
Davenport
Warm weather, with that comes warmer soil temps is what makes your grass start to grow. Plus, I will probably mow this wkend, to clean things up.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I'm going to wait until it is LONG and THICK before I mow. I want some good root growth this spring.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
My lawn service people were out mowing this morning... I think it's the second time they've been out...

(yeah I live in an apartment... so I'm kinda full of it with that "my service people" thing

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Probably as soon as I purchase a house that has a yard that requires mowing! :biggrin:

(one of the benefits of living the condo life)

cyinthesky

Dec 12, 2006
Warm weather, with that comes warmer soil temps is what makes your grass start to grow. Plus, I will probably mow this wkend, to clean things up.
I think Psy-Bri meant that once you start cutting the grass for the 1st time all year... your grass will grow even faster & you'll really have to keep up on it then. And actually it's the angle of the sun that turns things green. Naturally the angle of the sun will create the warmth of the soil and higher ambient temperatures.

CycloneSupt6

Dec 18, 2008
Davenport
I think Psy-Bri meant that once you start cutting the grass for the 1st time all year... your grass will grow even faster & you'll really have to keep up on it then. And actually it's the angle of the sun that turns things green. Naturally the angle of the sun will create the warmth of the soil and higher ambient temperatures.

That is great to know. They didn't teach me that when I was getting my Horticulture degree. Mowing does not make your lawn grow. A verti-cut mower which we use on our greens helps to promote lateral growth.

Reactions: dustinal

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
just mowed for the 2nd time in Kansas City. i was glad the first time but its growing quick

Yep, it has been mowing season for a while here in KC. I started seeing lawn mowers out about 3 weeks ago. I have done mine once but it is about ready to be cut again.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

:eek: what are u serious :eek:

AutisticCy

Mar 14, 2009
I cut the grass last week. One individual blade at a time. My organizational skills allow me to perfectly cut the entire lawn to the same length with a ruler and a scissors.

CycloneSupt6

Dec 18, 2008
Davenport
I couldn't help but share this with you. A couple of local DJ's put this on their website.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvFSgXpyhoM]YouTube - Mow the Lawn[/ame]

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I post this map to show as of today what the 4 inch soil temps are in the state of Iowa. Even though grass is starting to turn green, it isn't going to start growing much until these temps are above 54 degrees. So I wouldn't worry about wearing out any lawnmowers in the next 2-3 weeks anyway.

soilt_day1.png

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
If I could get away with it - August.

But this year my oldest boy is probably old enough to start mowing the lawn.