Notes From the Big 12 Tourney

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

rte4st8

So far so good!

The OKC folks are friendly and wish us good luck. Its in the mid 60's and NO SNOW! We had one OU fan ask "Why you all have woodpeckers on your hat?" If anything looks like a woodpecker is that damn Lil' Jayhawk. KU upset OSU last night and I had to here rock chalk jayhawk (of Up Chuck Jayhawk is a better version).

If you can survive the drive across Kansas it is worth the Trip.

The ladies need to play better today if they want to make it past today. Looked like Bill was resting his players quite a bit.

Photos of Pep Rally between Ford and Cox Convention Centers and Kansas (really that is all you see south of KC until you see the red dirt of OU!

View attachment 226

View attachment 227

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
What? You get to drive through the Kansas Flint Hills, one of the most underrated scenic landscapes around.

Not that there isn't plenty of really flat land like in your picture but that part is beautiful rolling cattle country.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
nebraska is the most boring state i ever drove through

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006

I haven't had that displeasure, the farthest west I have been is Omaha. Although to get to Omaha I had to drive the entire length of the state of Iowa to get there, which is not fun in itself.

Maybe the fact that it was dark had something to do with it, but when we drove to Houston for the bowl game in '05 Kansas was by far the most boring part of the trip.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
I agree there are parts of Kansas that are pretty boring to outsiders but that heading south on the turnpike shouldn't be one of them (for most of it anyway). That part of the state is supposed to be featured in this month's National Geographic.

Besides what does driving through western Iowa have that Kansas doesn't? :biggrin9gp:

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
What? You get to drive through the Kansas Flint Hills, one of the most underrated scenic landscapes around.

Not that there isn't plenty of really flat land like in your picture but that part is beautiful rolling cattle country.

It looks like the Moon.

And do nmot eat the beans at Wilma's Fried Tortillas House.

Last edited:

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I would have to say that Kansas is much more scenic than the lower part of I-35 in Oklahoma (at least in the north).

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX

I know this isn't a Big12 state but the Pennsylvania tollway/turnpike on I-76, I think, it eventually runs into I-80, is by far the worst drive in any state anywhere. So long, so boring, and did I say so LONG. I had to make the drive from MD when I got out of Active Duty and man did it drag along through PA. I would rather see cows, crops, tumbleweeds, anything other than concrete jersey barriers. :sad9cd:

***EDIT*** Sorry for the continuation of the thread Hijack in progress.

Last edited:

clonefarmer

Apr 16, 2006
My preferred way to travel through either Kansas or Nebraska is at night. No wonder football is so big in Nebraska. What else is there west of Omaha? Be sure and fill your gas tank early at a brand name station. Twice I've gotten bad gas in Nebraska. Let me clarify that--I've gotten gasoline with water in it at some independent station.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
The PA Turnpike is awful. I can't recall going far east on it, but from the middle of the state (the infamous Breezewood) to the western border past Pittsburgh is not flat and boring at all. Its dangerous! The road winds around, up and down, and its narrow. That isn't the bad part, the bad part is the trucks flying along doing this too. If you're ever headed southward, go through West Virginia from I79 to I68 (or is it 64). Its only about 20 miles longer, but you can go faster and there's no traffic so it makes it worth it. Oh yeah, and PA is one of the worst states to speed in. Big fines!

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I didn't mind the drive through Pennsylvania. Driving completely through Nebraska from West to East or vice versa is the absolute worst state drive you can possibly make in the U.S. A lot of it has to do with the underrated width of the state...it takes FOREVER.