Good Article about the Offense

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Here's an article about the offense that has some interesting tidbits in there about the schemes and pace that the offense will utilize.....

I really like the idea of using the zone blocking schemes....

Darks sounds pumped up about the offense and i REALLY like the reference to more DOWNFIELD opportunities!!!!!!

By the way, Kelly Beaton is a huge clone hater so getting a good article about anything thats not out of iowa city is good to see!!!!!

CycloneManai.com | Sports*»*Isu*»*Football: Cyclones embrace Herman's new offensive scheme

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
Does anyone know if Herman will employ a similar type of audible system that the Clones used last year? I HATED how they did it last year. The entire offense looking over to the sideline cost us five yard delay of game penalties quite a few times.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Does anyone know if Herman will employ a similar type of audible system that the Clones used last year? I HATED how they did it last year. The entire offense looking over to the sideline cost us five yard delay of game penalties quite a few times.

He will not

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
I know we should wait until actual results are produced at ISU but Herman is a boy-wonder super genius! I hope he is grooming someone to take his spot because I don’t look for him to be around for more than a couple of years. I had the pleasure of sitting next to him on a plane in January – very personable and very intelligent!

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
I dont like him saying they never do double tight end sets. I think TE could be our deepest position, and not utilizing all of them would be silly.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
I dont like him saying they never do double tight end sets. I think TE could be our deepest position, and not utilizing all of them would be silly.

The "double TE set", as I understand it, is where there is a TE on both ends of the OL. I've read elsewhere that the TEs will be lining up all over the field. So when they say they won't do double TE sets, I don't think they're necessarily saying we won't see 2 TEs on the field at the same time, we just won't see that particular set.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo

The funniest part of that whole process tamjam is that the look over was to potentially audible out if the defense was not in our advantage. Well, from the games i saw it was exactly what you said, i look over that would cost us time and yards because we never used it for what it could be used for - getting out of a bad play call.

I remember against KU in the second half, they were at the 6, strongside to the offenses right and KU was stacked on that side. They looked over, yep looks good ran right into the teeth of the defense and we ended up kicking a field goal.......no creativity, no audibles, and hardly any red zone scores - YES i welcome the new offense......if i see ONE audible this season i might pee in my pants!!!!!

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
The funniest part of that whole process tamjam is that the look over was to potentially audible out if the defense was not in our advantage. Well, from the games i saw it was exactly what you said, i look over that would cost us time and yards because we never used it for what it could be used for - getting out of a bad play call.

I remember against KU in the second half, they were at the 6, strongside to the offenses right and KU was stacked on that side. They looked over, yep looks good ran right into the teeth of the defense and we ended up kicking a field goal.......no creativity, no audibles, and hardly any red zone scores - YES i welcome the new offense......if i see ONE audible this season i might pee in my pants!!!!!

there is loads of audibles in the Hermann offense...lots of strange quirks to it.

Last edited:

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA

You will still see audibles in Herman's offense. No offense is complete without a set of audibles. If they are truly running a no huddle attack you will probably see that look back just as frequently this year.

The key difference will be the lookback will either happen as the team moves up the field or Austen will be the only one to do it then call the play from the line.

I guess the other key will be that we all believe, and the numbers have shown, Herman knows what he is doing in this offense. The lookback last year was not something McFarland had done in the past from what I could see and they learned it in the off season.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
The key difference will be the lookback will either happen as the team moves up the field or Austen will be the only one to do it then call the play from the line.

See I have no problems with that at all. That is what the QB should be doing. I am really looking forward to football season, just to see how different the team will be.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
There was an article in the Ames Tribune late last week that talked about the TE's and how they've been lining up in the slot, the backfield, out wide - all over the place.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
You will still see audibles in Herman's offense. No offense is complete without a set of audibles. If they are truly running a no huddle attack you will probably see that look back just as frequently this year.

I guess the other key will be that we all believe, and the numbers have shown, Herman knows what he is doing in this offense. The lookback last year was not something McFarland had done in the past from what I could see and they learned it in the off season.

I like what I'm hearing as long as we can assume that he can incorporate a series of hand or silent signals for loud environments such as in Lincoln, College Station, etc. I would guess that at Rice he didn't have to contend with very many large crowds that disrupted audibles.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm guessing that the audibles in this system will be much more up to Austen. This will result in less "look to the sidelines". I think Austen will be given enough lee-way that if he sees something in the defense that makes him want to switch things up, he won't have to look to the sideline for guidance...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron