**** Vitale in HOF??

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Sounds like Bob Knight and a bunch of other coaches are trying to get him in the Hall Of Fame for College basketball. Now I don't like Vitale and his Duke antics, but when it comes down to it. The guy fully deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. All of the stuff he does when nobody is watching with the V foundation. His camps that he speaks at. His book's about college. I think the guy deserves it.

Any thoughts?

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I'm a big fan of Vitale, despite his ACC bias. Some tire of his antics, but I think his reactions during the game are genuine and due to his passion for the game as opposed to a lot of color commentary guys that have pre-planned catch phrases. Plus he's perhaps the most knowledgeable (sp?) color man in college basketball.

Whitey

Apr 4, 2006
Ames, IA
I don't care for the man's broadcasts. However, he's become iconic in college basketball. If Keith Jackson, whom I don't find annoying, is in the football HOF, then I suppose that Vitale might belong in the basketball one.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
Whoooa Nelly!

Both guys were the voice of their sport for decades. Personally I can't stand listening to Vitale anymore but he's been such a huge part of the explosion of college basketball on TV that he deserves to be in the Hall.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I agree the ACC bias is strong, but he does deserve it as he has promoted the game and is known by everyone. He has reached iconic status and I always love hearing the story about him and Johnny Orr going at it on TV.

isu_bub

Apr 10, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I don't care for Vitale at all. Wasn't much of a coach, and his antics have worn me completely thin. Sure, he is an icon and gives good exposure to the sport, but when you reach that type of cult status that Vitale has, his bias becomes the flavor of the season for the media.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I don't think he deserves to be he HOF at all. His coaching merits don't deserve it, and he certainly hasn't been a broadcaster as long as Keith Jackson. On that basis you could say someone like Brent Mussberger should be in the Football Hall of Fame, or **** Enberg. Enberg's been a sports broadcaster for like 50 years and has done Championship games.

The HOF does give out awards to people, which Vitale I would say probably deserves, but enshrinement absolutely not.