OT - Second Anniversery of Famous Boom Goes the Dynamite

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Video: http://emuse.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/137

3.5 minutes of pure agony as teleprompter stops, starts, slows down, goes fast, reading pages out of order, stories mixed up, people walking behind him, and sudden realization that his career was over just before he espouses his famous words; BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE. Go Ball State anmd Pacers....

Boom goes the Dynamite

brian2.gif

I've worked in student media. I know there are times you can be made to look foolish. But what happens when you mix in a inexperienced news anchor into the rigors of a three minute sports broadcast? Chaos? That's what happened when Brian Collins stepped in and did the sports for the Ball State student TV program earlier this year. Maybe there were teleprompter troubles. I don't know. What I do know is that Mr. Collins won't likely live this down. And that Dale Hansen must be proud - his job actually is harder than it looks. Hansen-style, baby!
You can watch the video here. Just right-click this link and save it on your machine.
Then tell me this: Why is this funny? I think it aligns perfectly with what one of our friends called the culture of awkwardness. I actually had to watch the video between the fingers of my hand covering my face. Could this be the most perfect example of the tingling sensation of embarrassment felt on behalf of others?

He gets the rebound and passes to the man! And Boom goes the Dynamite.

NEW YORK, June 13, 2005

var storeInfo = new Array (1); var cbsx = 1; storeInfo[1] = '
image701240x.jpg
Brian Collins on The Early Show Monday*(CBS/EARLY SHOW)

"I decided at least I'm going to have a little fun with this," he says. "I figured not too many people would see it. And I just threw it out there," thinking that would be the end of it.

Little did Collins know, that would only be the beginning.

But someone put the embarrassing tape on the Web, "as a joke," Collins explains, "I think without really realizing what all would happen when he did that."

In an instant, Collins' catchphrase not only made its way around the Internet, it began showing up on newscasts across the country, mostly as anchor video voiceovers. It became part of pop culture, so much so that he appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman.

Collins says there's been some negative mixed in with the positive: "You do get hate mail from people who just come after you. …You get lots of phone calls. At one point, we had to unplug our phone at school just because of how many phone calls we were getting."

However, he adds, "It was something I was kind of glad I went through, because it taught me a lot about media and taught me a lot about how to lick your wounds and get through a mess."

Collins says he's been mulling becoming a TV weatherman.

So, The Early Show decided to give him some trial by fire, and asked him to help out substitute weatherperson Audrey Puente.

Collins did just fine, even managing to work in a, "Boom goes the dynamite."

He later told Puente, "I think it's a career I might wanna go into. It's a lot of fun."

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
That clip was one of the funniest, most embarrassing things I've ever seen.

However it does seem like the guy not only made the best of the situation, yet learned from it while gaining popularity.

I know almost anyone would love to benefit from some of their most inept, embarrassing moments.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I haven't seen that in more than a year. I needed those tears of laughter on a slow Tuesday. :yes4lo:

"And he passes to the man"...best line of the segment.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
When he said passing to the man, he was he at least had one of the names right. Brian Collins made a national impression in four minutes.

http://hooverstreetrag.blogspot.com/2006/11/boom-goes-preview-ball-state.html

Despite 'worst' sportscast, Collins says he'd try again

By Gene Wojciechowski
ESPN.com
Archive

moresport_collins_195.jpg

AP Photo
Brian Collins, as he looks now.

Just in case you forgot, his name is Brian Collins. That's him to the right. Nice guy, too. Bad goatee, but nice guy. He's the kind of guy who travels to Appalachia and helps build houses for Habitat For Humanity. Wants to make a difference in the world.
On a March night in 2005, the nice guy volunteered to anchor the "Newslink @ Nine" sportscast on the Ball State University television station. The scheduled anchor had canceled, so Collins, a 19-year-old telecommunications freshman from Milan, Ohio, offered to help. He had never done a sportscast, but how hard could it be, right? You read some scores, breeze through the highlights, and before you know it, you're back in your dorm room doing English Lit homework.
But what happened next was, well, you can watch for yourself. Click on the link next to the column. I can wait.
See It For YourselfMissed Brian Collins' ill-fated nightmare of a sportscast two years ago? You can still see the disaster. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdG53AiNwBQ"]Video[/ame] Done? Sort of like watching someone perform open heart surgery on themselves, isn't it? It might be the most spectacularly painful 3 minutes and 54 seconds in sports broadcasting history. As we approach the two-year anniversary of the telecast, communications scholars everywhere now refer to it as, "The Collins Incident."
First of all, the teleprompter didn't work. Well, it worked, but there was a new person on the prompter who accidentally fast forwarded through the script. So Collins could pick out only a word here or there before it disappeared from the prompter screen. He sounded as if he were deciphering WWII secret code from the Germans.
But wait, he had the typewritten script pages in front of him for emergencies. Yes, he did. Except that the pages were hopelessly out of order. That's when Collins remembers thinking, "You know, tonight's not going to be a good night."
It didn't help that Collins kept looking at the wrong TV monitor during the highlight packages. Or that someone walked behind him during the telecast. Or that every nanosecond of the sportscast seemed to last a leap year.
"The one thing I was proud of, I didn't just get up and walk out," said Collins. "I didn't die. I took it until the end."
What was your favorite moment? The tortured script reading? The long silence punctuated by the sounds of frantic paper shuffling? The labored breathing? The heartfelt, plaintive sigh during the middle of the nightmare? The part where Collins glances to someone off camera and mouths the words, "I'm so sorry?"
It was so dreadful, so tragically funny, and best of all, so human. And yet, Collins somehow gathered himself during the botched Nets-Pacers' highlights and delivered the ad-lib line which became You Tube legend. Remember?
"Later he gets the rebound … passes it to the man … shoots it … and boom goes the dynamite."
Collins hasn't done a sportscast since. He did a gig on David Letterman (Letterman, a Ball State alum and financial contributor, donated a plaque to the school that reads, "Dedicated to all 'C' students before and after me!"). There was the CBS morning show appearance where he helped do the weather report. And there were some interviews with assorted newspapers and radio stations.
ESPN "SportsCenter" anchor Scott Van Pelt e-mailed Collins and told him, "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to you, life will be good." And then Van Pelt paid homage to Collins by using the "Boom" line on the air. He still does on occasion.
Other Ball State students did double takes when they saw Collins on campus. But apparently the chicks didn't dig his fame or appreciate the brilliance of his ad lib. He got zero dates out of it.
"I'm the, 'Boom Goes The Dynamite Nerd,' " he said.
Nah, I tell him. It was inspired stuff.
"Oh, c'mon," he said. "It was nerdy."
Collins is 21 now. He's finishing up his junior year at Ball State, has a girlfriend, lives off campus with four buddies, and begins an internship this summer at Indianapolis' WTHR-TV. He'll be working with the station's investigative team. Boom goes the hidden camera.
Collins would like you to know he's doing fine. Better than fine. The sports talk radio stations don't call anymore, and his last print interview was almost six months ago. But just to be on the safe side, he wouldn't agree to this interview until he confirmed it was really someone from ESPN.
"You'd be surprised what people would try to do," he said.
He still does on-air work, but mostly as the weather guy. When he graduates next spring (major in telecommunications, minor in political science), Collins wants to find a job on the news side. But before he leaves the Muncie, Ind., campus, Collins is considering one final sports encore.
"You know, I might try it," he said. "Just to get back up there and do the sports … end that chapter in my life. The thing that concerns me is that it would come back and haunt me if I tried to get a job somewhere."
Haunt him? If I'm a station manager somewhere, I hire Collins because he's totally fearless. The kid became must-see video disaster, but had the stones to survive it. And now he's thinking of a one-time sportscast return? The ratings would be huge.
"Don't be surprised if I come out swinging," said Collins, who reminds me a little bit of Kenneth on "30 Rock" (but in a good way). "It's a big world out there. I've taken a few shots, and I'm ready to take a few more … Yeah, things went wrong and everybody got a good laugh. But things have changed since then."
Here's the deal, Brian. Set the date for your return to the anchor's chair. Maybe we can get Letterman to punch up the script. Van Pelt can co-host. I'll work the teleprompter. We'll do it up right.
But you'll need a new catchphrase. "Boom" is so, well, 2005. Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at [email protected].

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Now the famous song
http://donchin.web.aplus.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/fuzzy_muffins_boom.mp3

The then-freshman at Ball State University was put into the limelight because of an emergency at his college TV station. They didn't have anyone to do sports for the 10 o'clock news. Brian stepped in and a legend was born. Yep, he's the "Boom Goes the Dynamite" kid. His sportscast featuring that phrase is world famous. The line has been picked up by ESPN announcers and local TV guys in every city.
boomgoesthedynamite20060615120857.gif
Brian says at first went into a shell, "I was walking home from class that day, ironically it was April 1st. Imagine that, April Fools Day. I started noticed people looking at me, some of them laughing and what not. I really didn't hit me until I got back to my dorm room and my roommates told me I was on the web. I then noticed what was going on." Brian says that really changed the way he views things and how he comfortable he was around people. His professors thought going deep into hiding would make the story go away. Instead, he became the Holy Grail of pop-culture interviews. Brian says "I was getting calls around midnight. Random calls from people trying to get information about me. I had to have me friends answer the phones because I never knew who was calling." He finally caved in, giving only two interviews. One to fellow Ball State alum David Letterman and, after I told him I wasn't going to make fun of him , me. Brian says since that sportscast two years ago, his life has been hell. He still can't go anywhere without somebody bringing it up, "people will come up to you and tell you sucked and you have to just stand there with a smile your face and say I know, you're the 343 person to tell me that today."​

Last edited:

dornstar44

Apr 10, 2006
Wichita, KS
For the record, the guy's teleprompter wasn't working - it was in "Fast Forward" mode and he could only read about every 10th word. Secondly, his hard copy had gotten all mixed up and he had no way to sort through it. Thirdly, I still found it hilarious! I'm glad he has been able to parlay it into success though.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
And Reggie Miller is lookin' good!

I now have this remix on an endless loop.

+rep for DJ Wesley

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Boom makes the list for internet pohenomena. The rest is also interesting.
List of Internet phenomena

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_phenomena#searchInput
An Internet phenomenon (sometimes called an Internet meme) occurs when something relatively or completely unknown becomes hugely popular, often quite suddenly, through the mass propagation of media content made feasible by the Internet. Some Internet memes are short-lived fads, while others remain popular for many years. Sometimes Internet phenomena can gain popularity by being featured on certain popular community-based websites, which include, but are not limited to 4chan, Albino Blacksheep, b3ta, Digg, eBaum's World, Fark, GameFAQs, LiveJournal, Newgrounds, Offtopic.com, Slashdot, Something Awful, YouTube, MySpace, YTMND, IGN, Tribalwar, or The Best Page in the Universe. Often, Internet phenomena are started by a single user on an Internet forum.
In William Gibson's novel Pattern Recognition an interesting kind of Internet phenomenon—"the footage"—plays an important role.

//
People

• The Bus Uncle — As the name suggests, the incident took place on a bus. A Hong Kong middle-aged man reacted furiously after the young man seated behind him tapped his shoulder and asked him to lower his voice while speaking on the phone. His outburst spawned catchphrases in Hong Kong and Chinese communities around the world.[1]
  • Cory Kennedy — A video of this 16-year-old girl rocking out to a song on her iPod while eating Indian food becomes one of the hottest things on the Internet.[2]
  • Star Wars kid — A Québécois teenager becomes known as the "Star Wars Kid" after a video of him swinging a golf ball retriever leaks onto the Internet. Many parodies of the video are made and distributed through video sharing sites like YouTube and Kazaa.[3]
Bands

• Beatallica — A satire band that played music combined from songs written by the Beatles and Metallica, and posted it online. The band was served with a Cease and Desist order by Sony/ATV Music.[4]
  • Hurra Torpedo — A Norwegian band that became part of a viral ad campaign by going on a coast to coast tour in the US that was paid for by Ford in order to promote the Ford Fusion car. As part of the ad campaign, a mockumentary movie called "The Crushing Blow" is being made. By the end of November 2005 a clip from The Crushing Blow was viewed more than 500,000 times in a couple of days from the web site iFilm. [1][2]
  • Lemon Demon — A one-man band by Neil Cicierega. Cicierega's Hyakugojyuuichi was a web animation hit. [5]
  • JerryC — Taiwanese guitarist and composer who wrote "Canon rock", a rock arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon in D. [3]
Videos

Some information in this article or section does not attribute its sources and may not be reliable.
Please check for inaccuracies, and modify and cite sources as needed.
Animation-based

Some information in this article or section does not attribute its sources and may not be reliable.
Images

• Little Fatty — A Chinese high school student named Qian Zhijun had his face superimposed onto various other images and created an Internet fad.[11][12]
  • The Saugeen Stripper — An 18-year-old female resident of Saugeen-Maitland Hall at the University of Western Ontario performed a striptease at a birthday party, and dozens of digital images of the party ended up on the Internet. The incident briefly attracted widespread media attention and was the subject of articles by a number of Canadian and American media outlets. The controversy sparked a discussion about just how much control, or in reality how little, institutions of higher learning have over what goes on in their residences.[13]
  • ORLY Owl-an image of a snowy white owl with the phrase O RLY? superimposed on its picture.
Films

• Snakes on a Plane — This 2006 film starring Samuel L. Jackson became an Internet meme due to the film's title and premise a year before its planned release, and before any promotional material was released. Producers of the films responded to the wide Internet buzz by adding several scenes to the film which catered to the fans. [11] The Internet buzz surrounding the movie has been featured several times by Keith Olbermann on his MSNBC news show Countdown.
Websites

Personal sites

Audio

• I Want My Western Barbecue Burger! — An irate woman places a 9-1-1 call demanding the police enter a Laguna Niguel, California-area Burger King and force the employees to make her and her kids a "Western Barbecue Burger". [13] [14]
  • Atomic — A song by Newgrounds artist Khuskan, it gained popularity when a flash game "Lars' Adventure" by Raitendo, was put on the website Digg. The song went double platinum on Newgrounds and it's lyrics, quotes from a PSA from the Cold War era [15] , became highly quoted. [16]

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
My favorite part of the whole thing was the last three seconds, when the news anchor said 'thanks for that look at sports' and the kid looks at him, and pauses, and says, 'yeah' with a breathy voice.

Oh my, I had forgotten about this...and having been a part of several student produced news casts in my day, I know what he went through.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
HOW THE HECK CAN YOU PUT MADDOX ON THERE AND NOT TUCKERMAX??? (don't know why i am yelling...) I find them both funny, but TuckerMax's stories are just enthralling and puts my often alcohol-induced, women-chasing wild evenings in perspective.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
HOW THE HECK CAN YOU PUT MADDOX ON THERE AND NOT TUCKERMAX??? (don't know why i am yelling...) I find them both funny, but TuckerMax's stories are just enthralling and puts my often alcohol-induced, women-chasing wild evenings in perspective.

Well, it's Wikipedia, so you could add it yourself...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron