Downtown DM Bars and Restaurants?

theodore

Sep 24, 2008
Wife and I spending Saturday night at the Marriott and am in need of some suggestions with where to eat and bars to visit. I know we're gonna check out Hessen Haus for sure but any suggestions would be appreciated.

isu200023

Aug 19, 2008
It would help to know what you like. I'd recommend Myabi9 for sushi. It's in the East Village right next door to another good one, Grand Piano Bistro. Court Avenue Restaurant and Brewing Company is very underrated as far as the food goes. It's way more than a bar, and a lot of people do not realize that. A little bit west of Downtown is Bistro Montage at about 29th and Ingersoll. Very good, but be prepared to pay for it. Azalea is another nice restaurant in the Kirkwood, but I have not been as of yet. I have it on good authority that it's a very nice place.

theodore

Sep 24, 2008
thanks for all the suggestions...has anyone seen the Pianopalooza Band that's at Court Ave. Brewery this weekend?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If you're looking for great italian, hit up Tumea and Son's, just south of Principal Park (across the Raccoon River) on 1st St. Excellent food, and very reasonable price. If you're a fan of microbrews and craft beers, check out El Bait Shop/High Life Lounge, as Bait Shop has about 150 beers on tap. The East Village has good bars too. The Underground, Locust Tap, AJ's, Beechwood are all good times. And as someone else said, Centro is excellent. It routinely wins awards for best overall restaurant in Des Moines, and it's hard to deny that.

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Los Rios by far, ask for Don Cook and tell him Dave sent ya he will NOT steer you wrong with drinks or food. More the 90 diferent types of Tequila on the shelf

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Los Rios by far, ask for Don Cook and tell him Dave sent ya he will NOT steer you wrong with drinks or food. More the 90 diferent types of Tequila on the shelf

I have to go back to that place and try it out. I went the first week it was opened and it just didn't do it for me. Not my type of Mexican food and overpriced.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I second Johnnys. My favorite restaurant by far.

It's Dos Rios. And I agree with DM Clone. Has alot of ambience, but not worth the cash IMO. I'd say it's closer to authentic Mexican, and not tex-mex.

I've never been there, but alot of people say good things about La Trattoria off 4th and Court.

El Bait Shop is alright, but unless things have changed much - you can count on only about 85 of those 150 on tap beers actually being available. Big problem - I know. :wink:

Tumea & Sons is a DSM staple - but I feel like it's fallen off in recent years and prefer Tursi's Latin King, but that's a ways away from Court. Those two are your best Italian choices and both are moderately priced.

If you like Seafood - Splash is the only way to go and it's a few blocks from the Marriott. Count on dropping $100 there pretty easy.

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
Yeah, Trattoria flooded last year. You can eat at Splash (seafood) for about $50 (No king crab legs or lobster) a couple, it's the drinks that get you. 801 Grand is a great steakhouse right across the street from the Marriott. Django (French) has great food and you can take your own bottle of wine with you to keep costs down, they had some of the best duck confit I've ever had. I've also heard Azalea is good from multiple sources but I've never been. Myabi 9 sushi in the east village is best in town. For Italian I would venture up to Gino's on 6th Ave before heading to Tumea's but both are really good.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Yeah, Trattoria flooded last year. You can eat at Splash (seafood) for about $50 (No king crab legs or lobster) a couple, it's the drinks that get you. 801 Grand is a great steakhouse right across the street from the Marriott. Django (French) has great food and you can take your own bottle of wine with you to keep costs down, they had some of the best duck confit I've ever had. I've also heard Azalea is good from multiple sources but I've never been. Myabi 9 sushi in the east village is best in town. For Italian I would venture up to Gino's on 6th Ave before heading to Tumea's but both are really good.

Dang - I always wanted to try Trattoria. Oh well, snooze for 15 years and that's what you get.

Took my wife to Azalea for Valentines day last year. Ehhhh. Wasn't bad, but I'm not going out of my way to head back.

Is Django in Hotel Ft Des Moines? Used to be 43 or something like that? I know that last year Raccoon River came out with a Django beer.

BTW - on the way out of town, if you want a greasy spoon breakfast. Waveland up on University & Polk Blvd is a must. Everything hashbrowns. Mmmmmmmm.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Consider eating at the upstairs above the Royal Mile. Fantastic food that you won't find at a lot of places.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
thanks for all the suggestions...has anyone seen the Pianopalooza Band that's at Court Ave. Brewery this weekend?

Yes, they are really fun! It is the two guys that do this a dueling pianos act, but they add a backup band. You'll have a blast. BTW....there is no way there would be enough room at Court Ave Brew for this. I just checked and they are at People's Court. That makes more sense and that is where we saw them about a year ago. They have a pretty big following, so there should be a nice sized crowd.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
If you're staying downtown, there is zero reason to not eat somewhere within walking distance given the number of great choices. Can you be more specific on what you're looking for? When people are throwing out High Life Lounge and Splash (on completely different ends of the spectrum in price and atmosphere), it says you need to provide some more clarification or you're going to be drowning in suggestions that are all over the board.

Do you want to keep the car at the hotel? Do you want something urban and hip? Very casual? Ethnic? What do you want to avoid? Near Court Avenue since you may be going to Pianopoolza?

theodore

Sep 24, 2008
Yes, they are really fun! It is the two guys that do this a dueling pianos act, but they add a backup band. You'll have a blast. BTW....there is no way there would be enough room at Court Ave Brew for this. I just checked and they are at People's Court. That makes more sense and that is where we saw them about a year ago. They have a pretty big following, so there should be a nice sized crowd.

my bad...it is at peoples court (thanks). We like all types of food so all the suggestions have been awesome. I think we'll probably take the skywalk down to court ave..prolly no need to drive.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron