Practice 6, Rhoads Q&A

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
“Yes. From the first day of your first workout, all the way through every spring workout you are laying a foundation for your philosophy in what you’re teaching technically and what you’re teaching schematically. And if you don’t gradually build that foundation, then it’s never going to be strong as you continue in the future. So every opportunity we have right now to teach and instruct and build the program from the ground up right now is very important and a big part of that is spring football.â€

How have your days been structured so far?
“Most of the staff is in here before 7 a.m. and a lot of them are here past 9 p.m. and 10 p.m., which is exciting because we’re getting a lot done. We’re catching up with the evaluation process of current high school juniors. We are coaching coaches as (offensive coordinator) (Tom) Herman and (defensive coordinator) (Wally) Burnham install offensive and defensive packages. Instruction time with our players has begun, and we went with our off-season program. Strength and conditioning takes place year-round also, but the off-season program involves more mental toughness training in the form of conditioning and change of direction work. To me, the higher up you take your team in mental toughness training, the faster you progress towards a championship.................

Rhoads Q&A Part I; Practice No. 6 Complete - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
“I think if Leonard Johnson asks me one more time if he can be a punt returner too, I’ll scream. But it’s exciting that a guy wants to do something so much that he is a squeaky wheel. If someone really wants to do something, they must think they can do it well. I think we’ve got a number of kids that can return kicks, Leonard being certainly one of them.

Looks like we finally got a punt returner.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
"I think if Leonard Johnson asks me one more time if he can be a punt returner too, I’ll scream."

LJ is the man.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
We have reason to be excited about the offense.

Let's see if he shows the same enthusiasm for the other side of the ball.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I love how in the videos, Rhoads is actually coaching and not just making his assistants do all the work while he watches for his ivy tower. I don't think I ever saw Chizik get hands on with the players.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Man, I could read PR interviews all day. That guy has got me pumped for football! He really doesn't seem to have any coach-ism's that make me pull my BS flag...straight shooter. I really like this guy.

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
I love the fact that Leonard Johnson is begging to be the punt returner, but I think it's a tough call for Rhoads. On one hand, you want a punt returner who's a threat to score every time he catches the ball. On the other hand, returning punts is one of the more dangerous responsibilities in terms of potential for injuries.

LJ is so valuable to our defense that I think I'd be inclined to have someone else return punts - that is, if we have someone who's safe in terms of always catching the ball and who's a decent threat to get good return yardage. But then again, I'm no coach.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I like the fact that PR legitimately feels that A-Rob, Schwartz, and Bo will be seeing significant PT, and all bring different strengths. Depth and diversity at a position like RB can never be underestimated. I know a lot of us felt we had it last year, but A) Chizik refused to give Bass a fair amount of PT, and B) I think Schwartz and Bo are similar in style to Scales and Bass, respectively, but may be more talented. Combine that with one hell of a QB, and a (hopefully) improved O-line, and I think the offense will be extremely exciting next year. That said, they're going to have to be...

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
There was some solid pass blocking in an offense vs defense drill, I think in the d-line video. 72 at right tackle did an outstanding job towards the end of the video. Good to see, though it doesn't help to answer any questions about our d-line.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
There was some solid pass blocking in an offense vs defense drill, I think in the d-line video. 72 at right tackle did an outstanding job towards the end of the video. Good to see, though it doesn't help to answer any questions about our d-line.

More a statement about our D-Line than our O-Line IMO.

I saw it too by the way.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I like how here's more open. Not to start another Chizik bashing session, but his answers were always so close to the vest and I feel that PR seems to let us in a bit more.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
It concerns me that the offense is ahead of the defense right now. At this point in the season, it should be the other way around. I also saw the o-line handling the d-line, speaks volumes about how we need better players on the d-line, but I am also excited about the possibilities of our o-line.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It concerns me that the offense is ahead of the defense right now. At this point in the season, it should be the other way around. I also saw the o-line handling the d-line, speaks volumes about how we need better players on the d-line, but I am also excited about the possibilities of our o-line.

Well, the offense has a lot more talent too, and look at the discrepancies last year. I'm not a bit surprised by it...

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site

Let's just hope KO and the rest of the OL has gotten that much better. On the other end for the DL playing against better competition them better in the end.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
That's the worst thing about watching practice film - it's hard to know how good your guys really are. About the only thing you can really take away from it is form, pad level, foot work, etc. Too hard to tell if the guy is really putting it all together to the point that he will beat his man on Saturday though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron