Recruiting Bust

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
“You can play the game as a 4.7 40-yard dash player nearly as well as a 4.3 guy if you know exactly where you need to go and to get there as fast as possible." -Chris Ash

I think this is true about a lot about some 4 and 5 star players. A lot of the time you see the guys that are so athletic but don't have the football smarts to be all that good. When some lower rated recruits who aren't that fast and aren't as athletic are just better football players.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
I'd have to agree. Sometimes all that speed will just get to the wrong spot that much quicker if you misread a key. Of course, that same speed will help you compensate for your mistakes better, also.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
That happens rarely and when it does the announcers of a game make a huge deal about it. 75% of the time, the more athletically gifted player is the better player. They go to college and learn the game and once they do that they have the ability to be a notch or two better

I like hearing Ash say that but he is just saying that b/c we have 4.7 guys right now and not 4.5 guys

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Good instinct are a big help, but it is alway great to have the guy that coming fling in out of nowhere to bat down a pass or pick it off. Unfortunately we have seen a lot of guys that are not super fast or in the right place.:sad:

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
“You can play the game as a 4.7 40-yard dash player nearly as well as a 4.3 guy if you know exactly where you need to go and to get there as fast as possible." -Chris Ash

This is only true if the 4.3 guy doesn't also know exactly where he needs to go. Top players can both run a 4.3 and know where they need to go.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Wow...I certainly hope our coaches understand the critical importance of having great overall team speed in CFB. All you have to do is look at the teams that are in BCS bowl games and you will see one common denominator...GREAT OVERALL TEAM SPEED.

You can "try to put lipstick on the pig" of a team lacking speed and say they can make up for it with "smarts" but reality shows us something far different. CFB is all about speed.

Cycloin

Feb 5, 2009
Johnston
Wow...I certainly hope our coaches understand the critical importance of having great overall team speed in CFB. All you have to do is look at the teams that are in BCS bowl games and you will see one common denominator...GREAT OVERALL TEAM SPEED.

You can "try to put lipstick on the pig" of a team lacking speed and say they can make up for it with "smarts" but reality shows us something far different. CFB is all about speed.

Does that mean Sarah Palin is going to start at FS this year?:smile:

DumbFan

Mar 15, 2009
Central Iowa
Looking back at past recruits....wasn't Hobbs a 2 star? Ever since seeing that I don't get all bent out of shape about lower rankings and put faith in the coaches to develop the athletes into players.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Read the article about CPR on Cyclones.com. He knows full well we are really slow as a team and he also knows weight training can only do so much. No doubt the team needs to get faster, but the guys that they have are going to have to get things done with what they have. That means being smarter and tougher, and in the right place at the right time. I would not consider the Hawks as having great defensive speed, but they do have a very good defense, because guys are tough, relentless and in the right place.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

Read the article about CPR on Cyclones.com. He knows full well we are really slow as a team and he also knows weight training can only do so much. No doubt the team needs to get faster, but the guys that they have are going to have to get things done with what they have. That means being smarter and tougher, and in the right place at the right time. I would not consider the Hawks as having great defensive speed, but they do have a very good defense, because guys are tough, relentless and in the right place.

Memo to you:

1) Iowa plays in the Big 10...which recently has barely qualified as a DI conference in FB.

2) Defense is easy in the Big 10 because most of the offenses lack any imagination (think 3 yards and a cloud of dust) and overall team speed is very poor amongst Big 10 schools...there is a reason they get drilled in the bowl season.

3) I do not care a wit about what is going on at Iowa.