Cowboys Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
First NFC East Team to join this thread madness...Holla

Saw on ESPNews that we are looking at Brad Johnson...Never really been impressed with him, but I suppose he could be a good mentor for Romo and I suppose we do need another QB BADLY. Thoughts? Opinions? If not, who should we go after or go for in the draft?

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
He's visiting Dallas. It was on their official website. I've also heard that Joey Harrington is an option.

While the backup QB is important, I'm more concerned about RT. We really need to get Colombo re-signed. Hopefully it's rather reasonable because we're going to have Romo and Newman as free agents next offseason. Based on what Clements got, Newman is going to break our bank to keep him.

And I just saw on ESPNEWS that we signed Gramatica to a two year deal, so it's good that we got that out of the way.

It will be interesting to see what we draft. All of the projections have us taking Reggie Nelson, but I don't think so. Unless we're convinced that Pat Wakins can't do it, I think that'd be a stupid pick. I see us taking a CB (like Aaron Ross or Leon Hall if he somehow falls to us) and moving Henry to FS, drafting a T if we can't sign Colombo, or getting a front seven defender to help in the pass rush if we don't land Porter.

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'd like to vomit at the thought of Brad Johnson. Joey Harrington doesn't thrill me yet I'd take him 10 times out of 10 over Brad.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I'd like to vomit at the thought of Brad Johnson. Joey Harrington doesn't thrill me yet I'd take him 10 times out of 10 over Brad.

If Romo went down for a game or two late in the year when we're in the hunt, I don't think I'd want Harrington. I know Johnson was awful last year, but at least he's a veteran and has won a Super Bowl.

I've also heard rumors of Tim Rattay

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Just signed Leonard Davis today...GOD he is huge...

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=236E7614-B202-C78B-EBFB87E57D10D0B1

With the QB situation...as much as you'd like to have a veteran behind Romo...I think we should look at a QB in the draft...what happens with that is people will always say "OMG, they are drafting a QB, that means the starting QB's job is in jeopardy" which is stupid in Dallas' case. Romo is the starter, but Dallas has addressed defense for many years in a row now under Parcells, I would really like to see a bit more balance in this draft.

Another Cowboys sidenote, I was sooo glad they resigned their Aussie punter McBriar, that guy looks goofy on the field at times, but he has an absolute cannon for a leg and special teams like that are sooo underrated, field position means A LOT throughout the course of a game (IOWA STATE TAKE NOTICE!!!!!!!!!)

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
If we draft a QB, it better not be until the 5th round or later. We can use linebacker depth, even though it sounds like Greg Ellis will be able to contribute next year. We could use a D lineman that can collapse the pocket, a wide receiver, at least one DB, and OL depth, and possibly a starter if Colombo leaves.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
CF really needs an NFL section.

Is anyone really excited about Wade Phillips? I really don't know much about him...will he run a similar offense? Defense?

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com

Is anyone really excited about Wade Phillips? I really don't know much about him...will he run a similar offense? Defense?

more excited than I would have been for Norv Turner :rolleyes5cz: ...All I know is he was a HC at Buffalo for awhile and most recently been with San Diego, and he is a completely defensive-minded guy, much like Parcells was. I was a little depressed to see Parcells go, but at least Phillips looks like an easy-transition.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006

Wade Phillips excites me. He's a 3-4 mastermind and completely turned the Chargers defense around. We didn't have someone with experience with the 3-4 last year with Mike Zimmer.

I can't wait to see what he does with Ware and Carpenter.

As far as the offense, former Aikman backup Jason Garrett is the new OC. I just listened to an interview with Romo, and he said that a lot of our offense will be similar, but that Jason will add a few things and hopefully make it more dynamic. He said that it's pretty much built off of last year, but the termonology will be new and Garrett will add a few wrinkles.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
more excited than I would have been for Norv Turner :rolleyes5cz: ...All I know is he was a HC at Buffalo for awhile and most recently been with San Diego, and he is a completely defensive-minded guy, much like Parcells was. I was a little depressed to see Parcells go, but at least Phillips looks like an easy-transition.

And he had the number one defense in the NFL while in Buffalo. I believe he had a 3-4 there, too, with Sam Adams being his big DT in the middle. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
First NFC East Team to join this thread madness...Holla

Saw on ESPNews that we are looking at Brad Johnson...Never really been impressed with him, but I suppose he could be a good mentor for Romo and I suppose we do need another QB BADLY. Thoughts? Opinions? If not, who should we go after or go for in the draft?

As a Vikings fan, Dallas is more than welcome to him. Just never thought he was that big of a deal. Makes me wonder what Minnesota has up their sleeve for QB now.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Just signed Leonard Davis today...GOD he is huge...

they waaay overpaid for Davis considering how dominating the Arizona lina has been with him imho.

I like Brad Johnson over Harrington or Rattay, Brad won't win you many - but he won't give 'em away either.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
they waaay overpaid for Davis considering how dominating the Arizona lina has been with him imho.

I understand that, but they paid market price for him. That's what happened with the salary cap increasing. I would have been happy with Dockery, but Leonard Davis makes more sense for the following reasons:

1) If we don't sign Colombo, and Marco Rivera's injury doesn't force him out, we'll need him to play RT. He has experience on the NFL level playing both G and T.

2) Flozell Adams is an unrestricted free agent after next season, and he will be 32. Considering we'll need to extend Newman and Romo, and that will not be cheap. If Flozell is not retained, then Leonard Davis probably becomes our new LT.

Another thing to consider is a change of scenery. He has incredible talent as evidenced by him being the number two pick in the draft. And look at the guys who were considered busts in Arizona and emerged elsewhere: Simeon Rice, Thomas Jones, etc.

With anything that happens, he'll fill a need. If the change of scenery does him an ounce of good, it could be a steal.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I just saw this on a Cowboys message board.

"Calvin Watkins just chatted with Cowboys exec Stephen Jones, who said he expects deals to get done with a backup QB today and soon on kicker Martin Gramatica. Calvin thinks Gramatica will sign a two- or three-year deal today.

Jones wasn't specific about which QB, but it's common knowledge that Brad Johnson is in town today.

The Cowboys remain confident that Marc Colombo will return as the team's right tackle."

The Gramatica deal has already been announced. While Brad Johnson doesn't excite me, it doesnt' mean we're screwed by any means.

I think the Colombo news is the best of the bunch. We really need him back.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I was kind of disappointed that the Cowboys signed Gramatica. I was hoping they would take a top of the line college kicker such as Crosby as that is the only position that I think is a spot for major improvement. I know Gramatica did alright but I never felt confident with him with a kick over 40 yards.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Adam Schein of sirius radio is reporting Colombo to the Jets.

Awful news.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Ick...Brad Johnson. Yeah...he's got a title - on his team's defense. I just never cared for the guy. Harrington was bad in Detroit - so are most players up there. I liked what I saw out of him in Miami though - he made some significant improvements.

As far as Phillips, to me Wade Phillips = Brian Kelly.

Phillips doesn't excite me yet will likely be a good coach.

Adam Schein of sirius radio is reporting Colombo to the Jets.

Awful news.

This is completely untrue. He hasn't even visited a team yet.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
This is completely untrue. He hasn't even visited a team yet.

Yeah, I read it on a message board, and the more it's being discussed, the more unsubstantiated the rumor is. It sounds like it was more of a projection than a report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron