Sports Radio

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
Remember not to many years ago when we had 3 sports radio stations in Des Moines? Now, we have two crappy ones. I really wish 940 AM would have made it, as it had the strongest signal of the three. Oh well, I guess I will just have to find an alternative.

ETL2424

Nov 9, 2008
Remember not to many years ago when we had 3 sports radio stations in Des Moines? Now, we have two crappy ones. I really wish 940 AM would have made it, as it had the strongest signal of the three. Oh well, I guess I will just have to find an alternative.
I hope we can get a solid local show soon because Jon Miller just doesn't get it done for me. And we need something local because those national shows on KXNO are brutal.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
what national shows are brutal? In CR about as 'local' as we get is the coach's shows or whatever that announcer guy for UNI does.

you really can't beat the DP show ... and ESPN radio is a staple.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I hope we can get a solid local show soon because Jon Miller just doesn't get it done for me. And we need something local because those national shows on KXNO are brutal.

I was listening to Jon's show on and off today and it was pretty good. Started off with KF :)swoon:), But had Fennelly on and then Lickliter. Granted it was mostly hawk-talk, but there were good local interviews.

I'd expect he'll have CPR on one of these days???? Jon?????

ETL2424

Nov 9, 2008
I was listening to Jon's show on and off today and it was pretty good. Started off with KF :)swoon:), But had Fennelly on and then Lickliter. Granted it was mostly hawk-talk, but there were good local interviews.

yes, the show today was good...I will agree. But for the most part, it just doesn't interest me. I liked it when Deace was on 1460.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

The talent just moves around in Des Moines. They are at station A. Something happens at station A, they lose their job then station B hires them. Station B thrives puts station A out of business, the rest of the talent goes to station B. Station B fires someone they go to station C. Stations C start to do well and puts station C out of business. The talent goes to station C. Anyone see the cycle. IMO the problem is there are too many egos involved to keep everyone happy at the same station.

Dolokaju

Jun 8, 2006
a couple of guys I think would be good...BJ Schaben, Rick Silvestrini...and my fav would be to have Chris Williams and Brent Blum reunite...

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006

I can't wait. When he was first hired, Larry and M&M had him on, and I just figured I'd wait until after spring to get him, to not rehash things. Plus, after the spring, he will have a better idea of the lay of the land. I loved Mac because I loved his passion, and I sense the same things in CPR...I love that by the way...

Talking to CBF is always great, and I felt bad today that it was the first time I had done that in a long time...I will not make that oversight next year, because he is a great coach, and a class act of a human being. I have said it on air before; if my girls are ever in a position to play college hoops, and if CBF is still around, it would be hard to say no to him.

I am going to attempt to get Cael and Jamie on the show soon as well, and I have a call and a text into Coach Mac to come on, too.

There are a lot of ISU people that I would love to speak with on a regular basis. Here is something I will share with you now:

When I started at KXNO in June of 2006, I filled out what I wanted my daily show to be come football and hoops...I hadn't listened to Larry's show, because I am not a morning guy. And I printed out my list, and went to the printer, and saw that Larry had recently done the same thing, like that same day, and the lists were similar with regards to guests. So I spoke with him about it, and learned that his lineup had been pretty static for years.

I had enough respect for someone that had been there before me to mostly scrap the plans I had, and I went my own way. I don't like interviewing people the same day as another local host, or even the same week. Sometimes, that's hard to get around in a market of this size.

But I can tell you now that there are people I am going to be speaking with this week, to try and set up a schedule for next year, a regular schedule, and that is going to include more ISU folks...people I will be contacting are Eric Heft, who I love to speak with, John Walters...finding an assistant ISU FB coach to speak with each week, and an ISU MBB assistant each week...I feel good enough about my interview style and abilities that I don't think something like that would get stale, and it would certainly spicen up what I am currently doing, and I think make it a lot better, and more balanced.

Believe it or not, that does matter to me, and it's just been pretty crowded since I started at KXNO. That has now changed, and I am going to try and set things up to make the program have as wide of an appeal as it possibly can. I want to get away from having Hawkeye Tuesdays and Cyclone Wednesdays, because that might alienate a good portion of the listening audience for two days a week. I want to balance things out not only weekly, but daily, and give everyone a reason to want to tune in.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Believe it or not, that does matter to me, and it's just been pretty crowded since I started at KXNO. That has now changed, and I am going to try and set things up to make the program have as wide of an appeal as it possibly can. I want to get away from having Hawkeye Tuesdays and Cyclone Wednesdays, because that might alienate a good portion of the listening audience for two days a week. I want to balance things out not only weekly, but daily, and give everyone a reason to want to tune in.

It will take some work to win some back to your show. It would be great to hear more ISU talk during the day. When you do start to change things around you will have to post when you have ISU people or talk the day before so we can be sure to tune in. Any word on what they are going to do with the newly opened slots.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
When you do start to change things around you will have to post when you have ISU people or talk the day before so we can be sure to tune in.

I have resisted doing that, because when I have in the past, it turns into a ***** fest about using this site for ratings and other trivial things.