Larry Cotlar

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Did Larry really deserve the ax?? He really got screwed in this whole deal. The only things I heard from him were defending himself. Marty should have more class and not bring down people with him.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
He did drop some F bombs. I bet that is frowned apon. Conn is what shocked me.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Despite Larry's show not being very good....he was always a good guy whenever I met him. Conn is a pretty good guy (and a Cyclone)as well.

Too bad they got caught up in that idiot's poop storm

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
He did drop some F bombs. I bet that is frowned apon. Conn is what shocked me.

I didnt hear any F-bombs by Cotlar. Still don't think he deserved to be fired since it was in defense and thought it was off-air. Unlike most, I liked his show.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
There's probably more to this story. Chances are there was some truth to what Marty was all over Larry about. And chances are Geoff saw it as an opportunity to get Marty in trouble, so he left or turned the mic on when Marty started going off.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I agree cytheguy, I doubt we know all the facts and I doubt we ever will.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Despite Larry's show not being very good....he was always a good guy whenever I met him. Conn is a pretty good guy (and a Cyclone)as well.

Too bad they got caught up in that idiot's poop storm

I've don't recall hearing many positive Cyclone comments from the conman.

I wonder if this will effect the "voice of the Bulldogs"

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I agree cytheguy, I doubt we know all the facts and I doubt we ever will.
I think you might be right. The crappy thing about a guy like Moron though, is he may have wronged Cotlar a thousand times, and nobody got in trouble because Larry stayed classy about it....possibly this one time that Larry didn't do the right thing, he gets canned because Marty can't keep his mouth shut. Just doesn't seem right. On the flip side, I'm happy cause I get to here Dan Patrick on the way in, and I haven't listened to M&M on the way home in a long time....so I'm happy with things.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I think you might be right. The crappy thing about a guy like Moron though, is he may have wronged Cotlar a thousand times, and nobody got in trouble because Larry stayed classy about it....possibly this one time that Larry didn't do the right thing, he gets canned because Marty can't keep his mouth shut. Just doesn't seem right. On the flip side, I'm happy cause I get to here Dan Patrick on the way in, and I haven't listened to M&M on the way home in a long time....so I'm happy with things.

When I was in high school, I would listen to Cotlar on my drive in to school. I really liked his show and his rants with Geoff Conn werent flat out stupid like Tirrell's. If there is only one fan of Larry Cotlar in this world, it's me.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
There's probably more to this story. Chances are there was some truth to what Marty was all over Larry about. And chances are Geoff saw it as an opportunity to get Marty in trouble, so he left or turned the mic on when Marty started going off.

Agreed. Marty doesn't surprise me. He has a list of troubles as long as my arm and this isn't his first suspension, even in the past year.

Cotlar does surprise me, as does Conn. I presume all these guys have contracts so KXNO would have to show cause for firing them - and that poor ratings isn't enough. I guess you have to assume that they were either responsible for the incident that sparked the tirade, or there's merit to the idea that they tried to set Marty up (that one I doubt)

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I didnt hear any F-bombs by Cotlar. Still don't think he deserved to be fired since it was in defense and thought it was off-air. Unlike most, I liked his show.

Larry called Martha a F-ing Whoosh (only it started with a D) on the audio. I didn't think he did either but listened again to the youtube version.

My guess is whatever Martha was so ticked off about was what got Cotlar canned. My guess is also that we probably will never really find out.

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
I was left wondering how big of an operation KXNO is. I always imagine sports talk radio studios as being closets with maybe two micropones in them. So much of what they do is phone interviews, and the live location spots are done on something that looks like a kids schooldesk.

My point was, maybe the studio monitors are so cheap that the engineer couldn't tell what was going on the air, they must have been yelling real loud in there.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I was left wondering how big of an operation KXNO is. I always imagine sports talk radio studios as being closets with maybe two micropones in them. So much of what they do is phone interviews, and the live location spots are done on something that looks like a kids schooldesk.

My point was, maybe the studio monitors are so cheap that the engineer couldn't tell what was going on the air, they must have been yelling real loud in there.

I'd guess they have a rather professional setup there. WHO Radio is in the same building.

And I'd guess that although it may be his responsibility to make sure the mics are secure, Conn is the producer for Cotlar and Cory Kuhn (??) for Miller and M&M - who were on next. It's entirely possible that Geoff wasn't around. I'd also guess that the on-air personalities have some control over their mics as well.

jbing

Dec 27, 2007
Ankeny, IA
www.jeremybingaman.com

The KXNO studios are actually state of the art. The CC operation moved into a new building about 3 years ago. It's a large studio where the board operator is pretty much in an entirely separate room from the studio with the "talent."

Reactions: kingcy

jbing

Dec 27, 2007
Ankeny, IA
www.jeremybingaman.com
Agreed. Marty doesn't surprise me. He has a list of troubles as long as my arm and this isn't his first suspension, even in the past year.

Cotlar does surprise me, as does Conn. I presume all these guys have contracts so KXNO would have to show cause for firing them - and that poor ratings isn't enough. I guess you have to assume that they were either responsible for the incident that sparked the tirade, or there's merit to the idea that they tried to set Marty up (that one I doubt)

Cotlar blew an F bomb over the air. In this town and in this industry, that's enough to get canned. Not to mention whatever the incident with the passes was all about.
Geoff was on the controls. He was responsible for what went over the air. Pure and simple. If nothing else, an example was made of him.