That one person at work

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Jack34

It's Fun to have Fun.
Jan 16, 2007
Does anyone at work have that one person at the office that has to tell the same story to every single employee that works for the company? Sorry, I had to vent this morning.

We have an employee here that regardless of the importance of there day/weekend/evening they have to give the play by play of every second. I mean seriously is this necessary? I hate to be bitter and walk away but give it another month.

Last edited:

Jack34

It's Fun to have Fun.
Jan 16, 2007
Yep...I'm fairly sure every office has one of these.

Does it take you to the verge of insanity? It's the worse first thing in the morning b/c they are just full of useless stories.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I don't think my office has one of the guys.

On another note, let me tell you about what happened to me this weekend...

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This also coincides with someone who is unnaturally and insufferably cheery and peppy in the morning. I want to smack them, especially on Mondays.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
We have guy at our work. Thinks he so cool. Has the chin strap light beard. Huge one upper. Every story you have he has one that is a little better. If you got 14-16 teams in the sweet 16 he got 15-16. It never freakin stops. Everyone hates him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack34

It's Fun to have Fun.
Jan 16, 2007
We have guy at our work. Thinks he so cool. Has the chin strap light beard. Huge one upper. Every story you have he has one that is a little better. If you got 14-16 teams in the sweet 16 he got 15-16. It never freakin stops. Everyone hates him.

Oh no, the bracket guy. So I take it fantasy football season is pretty rough as well?

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
Yes, and luck for me this person works pretty close to me so I get to hear all about her day, her kids, her ex-husband, and every other single thing in her life.

cycloneace55

Nov 22, 2006
Gardena, CA
I got someone in the office who just loves to let people about how bad her life is going. The worst was when one of her cats was uber sick and she had the thing in cat ICU. She would not shut up about it and practically demanded that everyone be sad about it. My theory is that the cat tried to kill itself by drinking household cleaners because it could no longer stand living with her.

I can see the thought process of the cat now: "Hmmmm, free food and shelter vs. living with the crazy lady...... where's that drano?"

She has pictures of her cats all over her cubicle, she is an official crazy cat lady.

Reactions: balken

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
The worst is the night after a poker game when a guy tries to re-live every hand that was played last night. They make sure to tell you exactly what the cards were, exactly what was bet, so on and so forth. By the end of the story you have said "oh yeah" or "really" so many times that you want to staple your ears to your head. Drives me nuts!

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009

I remember working with a jerk like this years ago. Always bragged on how he should enter NCAA tournament pools because he always awesome brackets. Finally we got him to fill one out, and he did horrible. Off course he just claimed he did it quickly and his real picks are at home.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I avoid the 'close talkers' in the office. They need to occupy my space while chatting. Their moist eyeballs nearly touching mine.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I remember working with a jerk like this years ago. Always bragged on how he should enter NCAA tournament pools because he always awesome brackets. Finally we got him to fill one out, and he did horrible. Off course he just claimed he did it quickly and his real picks are at home.

The funniest part is the guy sitting next to actually nailed 16-16. One upper guy was unaware so when he broke out that he had 15-16 with no evidence. The 16-16 guy was in the office pool so we knew he nailed it. When pressed for documentation that he had 15-16 he went with the "It's at home" gig.
For the record my all time best was 15-16.

Cycloin

Feb 5, 2009
Johnston
I have worked with a few of these over the years. Here are some tips that have worked for me.

After a story, look at them and say, "If I did or said anything that made you think I was remotely interested in your weekend, then that's my fault and I am sorry."

Or, you could stare at them, expressionless, during their story and eventually the uncomfortable stare will drive them away.

If they are telling the same story to a coworker in the next cubicle, feel free to jump in and tell the story along with them. Maybe ruin the punch-line, or just skip to the end. I guarantee they will not be happy with you.

I have also interrupted said offender in the middle of a story to politely ask if there is an end to the story in my near future.

Again, these are a few things that have worked for me. You may think that this will make you unpopular in the office, but I can almost assure you that your other coworkers will appreciate your effort to end the madness.

Good luck

clintr

Nov 12, 2007
Ames, IA
I have worked with a few of these over the years. Here are some tips that have worked for me.

After a story, look at them and say, "If I did or said anything that made you think I was remotely interested in your weekend, then that's my fault and I am sorry."

Or, you could stare at them, expressionless, during their story and eventually the uncomfortable stare will drive them away.

If they are telling the same story to a coworker in the next cubicle, feel free to jump in and tell the story along with them. Maybe ruin the punch-line, or just skip to the end. I guarantee they will not be happy with you.

I have also interrupted said offender in the middle of a story to politely ask if there is an end to the story in my near future.

Again, these are a few things that have worked for me. You may think that this will make you unpopular in the office, but I can almost assure you that your other coworkers will appreciate your effort to end the madness.

Good luck

+1

That... was... perfect...

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007

Not as bad as the know it all at my work who has 18 teams left in the Sweet 16.................:biggrin:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Does it take you to the verge of insanity? It's the worse first thing in the morning b/c they are just full of useless stories.

No. I have one co-worker that simply doesn't remember that he's repeated the same story over and over and over. He just can't remember that he has. Sure, if I want to do it, I can recite a handful of the stories word for word, but it's just not kosher to do that and embarrass him.

Most of the folks I work with keep conversation to entertainment and sports topics, which is nice.

CO4Cy

Nov 19, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Had a person at work whose GTO caught fire and was gutted. I heard that story over 10 times in a week. And since he is a "painter" when it comes to storytelling it took `15 minutes per story. Do the math...almost 3 hours of the same story in a week. I wanted to gouge out my eyes.