if you guys want to win the instate battle

AntiSnob

Mar 1, 2009
you need to offer AJ Derby and Andre Dawson. They are the gems of the Iowa Class of '10 and are great football players.

Oh, BTW, why do some of you guys call Iowa EIU? I know it stands for Eastern Iowa University, but why do you call them that?

Reactions: Wesley

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
you need to offer AJ Derby and Andre Dawson. They are the gems of the Iowa Class of '10 and are great football players.

Oh, BTW, why do some of you guys call Iowa EIU? I know it stands for Eastern Iowa University, but why do you call them that?

Go figure, the gems of the class as told to us by a hawk fan are the guys that are leaning towards the hawks.

As far as EIU, they are in Eastern Iowa, yes? They are an university, yes? But I then ask you, why is Iowa State referred to as the clowns on hawkeye boards. It's all the same.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
why would our staff waste any time at all on these guys who have ZERO intrest in ISU?

in-state i would rather focus on Scherff, Hoch, and others who we have a legit shot at.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
THey are the gems of the class for the state because they are the only 4 stars per rivals as of right now.

Great, and they're only 3 stars on scout. That doesn't mean there are more guys out there that haven't been ranked yet. Those rankings are based a lot on who's going after them. If a coach was smart he'd try and keep anyone he's after off the radar at this point. Way too early to go off on who's got the stars behind their names.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Oh, BTW, why do some of you guys call Iowa EIU? I know it stands for Eastern Iowa University, but why do you call them that?[/quote]

I think mostly because Iowa State is the state of Iowa's university (it being a land grant u.) and UI is mostly for Chicago suburbanites and people from eastern Iowa. The "E" conotes proximity to Chicago. There is also the notion that schools with directional names are lesser programs i.e. Eastern Michigan, Northern Colorado, Western Illinios etc. (all state schools).

Before you get off a UNI blast or bring up USC or Northwestern note that the former has been discussed ad nauseum and the latter two are private schools which chose directional names when they could've chosen surnames as Stanford, Rice, Vanderbilt etc. did.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Derby has offers from Alabama, Florida State, and Florida and will surely get more as time goes on. Why would a kid who lives in IC and has that growing offer list even consider ISU? Frankly, unless he has a man crush on Kirk Ferentz, I'll be suprised if he ends up at EIU.

As for Dawson, good Washington kids have a history of either going to EIU or out of state, like Adrian Arrington.

In state recruting will change, just give it time...:yes:

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Andre Dawson is up for the hall of fame and should probably get in... in my opinion. He was a pretty feared hitter in his day. Huge gun from right field too....

oh wait.... wrong guy, who is this Andre Dawson you speak of?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Derby's dad also played for the Hawks. I'd be the equivalent of Harrison Barnes going to the Hawks - absolutely shocking and any phone call from Lick to him is likely a waste of time.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Derby has offers from Alabama, Florida State, and Florida and will surely get more as time goes on. Why would a kid who lives in IC and has that growing offer list even consider ISU? Frankly, unless he has a man crush on Kirk Ferentz, I'll be suprised if he ends up at EIU.

As for Dawson, good Washington kids have a history of either going to EIU or out of state, like Adrian Arrington.

In state recruting will change, just give it time...:yes:

I agree 100% - i think ISU has very little to any chance at these two kids similarly to Iowa having a chance at Harrison Barnes - just not going to happen.

Derby -if Iowa gets good for them, but, with his list of offers, i too will be surprised if he stays in state. But, the allure of playing in his backyard with the following including his parents may be the ticket to keep him at iowa but ISU has no chance on this kid.

Dawson - if i were Dawson, i would look at Wisconsin very hard. Similar to Iowa, they focus on the running game but Iowa has been recruiting some very good running backs as of late and i think he would stand a better chance at early playing time in Madison then at Iowa. With a schollie from Cincinnati also would be interesting because they play in a conference where he could be in a good bowl game every year and after watching them, he's the type of scat back that could really prosper in their system.

Its not that they don't have the talent to be recruited by ISU, its just i don't see these kids in Iowas backyard not either going to Iowa or out of state to a better situation then ISU at least for the time being!!!!!!

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Iowa fans have to be sweating. Derby is becoming their Harrisson Barnes. All thought he was a lock to go to Iowa and now he is getting offers from past National Champs.

Rumor is that Dawson may be leaning towards KU

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I like the comparison of Derby to HB.... hes not as big of a deal, but he is a really good player from right in their backyard, and now the big boys are coming

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City

While I'm curious as to why hawkeye fans come to this website in the first place, I'm doubly amused when they tell ISU how to succeed and express dismay at perceived slights.

Serious question for AntiSnob and the other hawk faithful who post on Cyclone Fanatic: What's the attraction?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

It refers to them as a minor, more insignificant directional school, as opposed to the natural center of the athletic universe.

I've always taken it as a poke at their superiority complex over there.