Not Another PS3 HDMI Thread...

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Alright, I do have to apologize for starting another thread. I did search through the old ones, but I couldn't find the topic that I remember being discussed before.

I recall us discussing how some TV's don't accept HDMI audio from the PS3 and only support video. Well I have one of those TV's because anytime I turn on surround sound nothing happens for sound out of my theater speakers. Originally I had HDMI to the TV and optical from my TV to my reciever. But his didn't work. After moving and rehooking everything up this weekend I tried HDMI to the TV and Optical to the reciever from my PS3. But again still no sound. HDMI still works for 2.1 sound to the TV, but the 5.1 to the reciever does nothing. I tried switching the PS3 settings over to optical, but the only thing that does is take away my 2.1 from my TV since it's not using the HDMI anymore..

So what am I doing wrong? I've also now considered getting a new reciever that has HDMI inputs, but I want one that will upconvert component to HDMI as I will be hooking up my Wii via Component. Any recommedations on this type of reciever?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Make sure you set the optical out on the PS3 to DD 5.1. That is not turned on by default. Just check that box to enable it. You should be able to have 2.1 out of the HDMI to your TV and 5.1 out of the optical at the same time.

I have it setup that way.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Make sure you set the optical out on the PS3 to DD 5.1. That is not turned on by default. Just check that box to enable it. You should be able to have 2.1 out of the HDMI to your TV and 5.1 out of the optical at the same time.

I have it setup that way.

See I know for sure I did it that way, but I'm having to select to use either HDMI or optical, but not both?

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
When you are selecting Optical for audio you wouldn't want to select "Both". Audio will output to one of those two. Select optical.

That's how I originally had it hooked up and it worked fine.

Video - HDMI
Audio - Optical

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I'm clearly doing some thing wrong then. I've had the HDMI selected as the desired auido output into my TV with only 2.1 sound. The moment I select the opitical for sound and selected my desired sound outage. DD 5.1 DTS 5.1, etc. the HDMI sound in my TV is gone.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I'm clearly doing some thing wrong then. I've had the HDMI selected as the desired auido output into my TV with only 2.1 sound. The moment I select the opitical for sound and selected my desired sound outage. DD 5.1 DTS 5.1, etc. the HDMI sound in my TV is gone.

or right....it's likely that maybe the PS3 can't do audio to both.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
You are correct, PS3 sends sound to one type of output only, not to both concurrently.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
You are correct, PS3 sends sound to one type of output only, not to both concurrently.

That is not true. I only have HDMI from the PS3 to my tv. I also have a optical cable from my ps3 to my stereo. If I forget to turn down the tv I get a really weird effect where the TV audio is a few milliseconds ahead of the stereo, so I know they both work at the same time.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
That is not true. I only have HDMI from the PS3 to my tv. I also have a optical cable from my ps3 to my stereo. If I forget to turn down the tv I get a really weird effect where the TV audio is a few milliseconds ahead of the stereo, so I know they both work at the same time.

So it kinda works then but not really. :eek:

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA

You and I are both right...sort of. I decided to go to Playstation.net, and I found a pretty good manual which explains this phenomenon.

Note the *Hint* area at the bottom, and I quote: "[Linear PCM 2 Ch.] audio is set to be output from all output connectors by default. If you change the audio output settings, audio will be output only from the connectors that were set."

Thus...if you changed your optical to be 5.1, you would only receive sound out of optical (which is what I do!)

PS3™ | Audio Output Settings

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
or right....it's likely that maybe the PS3 can't do audio to both.

Well I went home for lunch to check this all out. And I'm right, at least for my PS3. It even says. "Select audio output for TV OR amplifier, NOT BOTH!

So the moment that I want 5.1 and select DD 5.1, my PS3 only uses optical not HDMI. So my TV gets no sound.

How have all of you combat this issue then? (Excluding brianhos show seems to have the freak of nature PS3)

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
does your receiver accept HDMI? if so couldn't you just doe HDMI to the receiver, and then HDMI to the TV?

My current one does not, but am looking at upgrading to one. The only issue with that scenerio is I always have to have the reciever on to transfer the HDMI signal to the TV right? For Audio and Video? Sometimes I just play my PS3 using my TV speakers, I would hate to have to turn on my reciever just to do that.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I had an issue when I first hooked my PS3 up to the tv via HDMI. I then had RCAs out of the TV to the receiver (yes - it's that old).

But when I first hooked it up, I had sound and no pic, or pic and no sound - don't remember which.

Fix I found online was simply to hook up the PS3 to the tv and restart the PS3. The audio/video out on the PS3 "autodetected", prompted me for my setting and life has be fine ever since. (I'm thinking I had sound, no picture)

Might not be what you're looking for, but I did have a similar issue of the HDMI not "immediately" working.

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
Send all your equipment to me along with all your HD nudie films for a full analysis.

Results will be be available in 6 to 8 years.

CloneFan96

Apr 11, 2006
OK... I had trouble with this at first. What type of receiver do you have?? I had a Yamaha. My optical inputs had to be setup so they matched what I was selecting. You can do this manually. Also.... on the receiver make sure that it's expecting the Optical signal and not a L/R signal. I had to change the input type on my receiver for it to work....

Let me know if this helps.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
OK... I had trouble with this at first. What type of receiver do you have?? I had a Yamaha. My optical inputs had to be setup so they matched what I was selecting. You can do this manually. Also.... on the receiver make sure that it's expecting the Optical signal and not a L/R signal. I had to change the input type on my receiver for it to work....

Let me know if this helps.

Mine is also an older Yamaha. I'm not sure I'm following you yet though.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Well I went home for lunch to check this all out. And I'm right, at least for my PS3. It even says. "Select audio output for TV OR amplifier, NOT BOTH!

So the moment that I want 5.1 and select DD 5.1, my PS3 only uses optical not HDMI. So my TV gets no sound.

How have all of you combat this issue then? (Excluding brianhos show seems to have the freak of nature PS3)

This is really odd because both connectors work for me.

I will go home tonight and look at my settings and post them. I really am not nuts, I have stereo sound out of my TV and DD 5.1 out of my stereo.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
This is really odd because both connectors work for me.

I will go home tonight and look at my settings and post them. I really am not nuts, I have stereo sound out of my TV and DD 5.1 out of my stereo.

The only way you can get sound out of both, is if you didn't change any of the default sound settings. Most likely you are not getting DD 5.1 out of optical, but the 2.1 default. That's the only way both will work. If you set optical to PCM Linear 5.1, then you will only get sound from the optical port.

Please see my previous post above....for further sound information!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron