Adam, Native of Iowa, is a Student of more than the Game

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Updated: March 2, 2007, 11:12 AM ET
Iowa's Haluska selected Academic All-American of Year

ESPN.com news services

Iowa senior guard Adam Haluska, who leads the Big Ten in scoring at 20.4 points per game, has been selected to the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-American of the Year for the University Division, as selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA).
A starter in all 126 games in his career, Haluska also is among the Big Ten leaders in free throw percentage, 3-point field goals and steals. He has a 3.50 grade-point average and is majoring in finance and marketing.
Joining Haluska on the Academic All-America first team are Florida's Lee Humphrey, Cornell's Graham Dow, Butler's A.J. Graves and Western Michigan's Joe Reitz.
Washington (Mo.) University forward Troy Ruths was the Academic All-American of the Year in the College Division. He is joined on the Academic All-America first team by Beau Bauer (Florida Gulf Coast University), Patrick Hannaway (University of Colorado at Colorado Springs), Aurimas Truskauskas (Gannon University) and Steve Dagostino (College of Saint Rose).

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
adam.jpg

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I noticed Carroll Iowa received 17 inches of snow right after he won the honor. God made Adam pay.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Hey....he's a good guy.....we're all Iowans.....and he was just doing what he thought was best for him when he transferred. Its his life....you people get so detached from the human element of things, like everyone is supposed to be loyal to us. I applaud him and wish him the best. We've got the right pieces in place, we are headed for one of the best times in ISU athletics! Lets not worry about who we are not, but who are, and be proud of who we are!!!!!

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Hey....he's a good guy.....we're all Iowans.....and he was just doing what he thought was best for him when he transferred. Its his life....you people get so detached from the human element of things, like everyone is supposed to be loyal to us. I applaud him and wish him the best. We've got the right pieces in place, we are headed for one of the best times in ISU athletics! Lets not worry about who we are not, but who are, and be proud of who we are!!!!!

I don't care how good of a guy he is, he left us to go to our biggest rival. For that I hate him. On the other hand, I know his dad is a POS that runs his life and pushed him towards the dark side, so I hate Mr. Haluska a lot worse. I'm sure Adam is a nice guy if you get to know him, and it's not like I hope he gets run over or anything, I just wish him the worst on the basketball court for the rest of his life. Is that so terrible? :wink0st:

Cymaster

Jun 14, 2006

I don't know Adam personally, but I agree completely. Some people need to realize that there is more to life than athletics. Did he handle the situation wrong? It seems like it, but few people know the specifics of what actually happened. Maybe he was fully intending to stay when he said he was going to, then something happened in the next week or so that made him change his mind. He did what he thought was best for him, which is what everybody should do. It has worked out pretty well for Adam, and I'm glad.

Part of me wishes he had stayed, but part of me is glad he left. I firmly believe that if he had stayed, Wayne Morgan would still be coaching the Cyclones. Maybe that would be good, maybe not. (I'm in the probably not camp) I'm just glad we have McDermott as our coach....

jparker22

May 1, 2006
Ames
I don't know Adam personally, but I agree completely. Some people need to realize that there is more to life than athletics. Did he handle the situation wrong? It seems like it, but few people know the specifics of what actually happened. Maybe he was fully intending to stay when he said he was going to, then something happened in the next week or so that made him change his mind. He did what he thought was best for him, which is what everybody should do. It has worked out pretty well for Adam, and I'm glad.

Part of me wishes he had stayed, but part of me is glad he left. I firmly believe that if he had stayed, Wayne Morgan would still be coaching the Cyclones. Maybe that would be good, maybe not. (I'm in the probably not camp) I'm just glad we have McDermott as our coach....

First I'll start with the fact that I am not bagging on you Cymaster, but I am very tired of this arguement. Do any of us really believe that WM would get more out of the tem if Adam were on it? Do you think Adam being on the team is going to get Stinson to pass out when he is double/triple teamed? No, I just don't believe that he would add all that much to the team we had last year. Remember he was either going to take minutes from RC or Stinson, so I don't really see where he fits in last year's team.
He left us high and dry by going to Iowa and could give to shts what we are doing so we should return the faver. Don't post this crap here, leave it for the squawk boards. That said... good for him...(all sarcasm)

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
Ehhhh......Let it go, he made a decision, whether it was his own or not is irrelevent. The move seems to have worked out for him, so good for him. I have heard that he is a pretty good guy, and he received a tremendous honor. Yeah his hair is bad, but he might be a big Matchbox 20 fan.

Good luck to him, he has gotten better, and there aren't many players that have played for Steve Alford that can say that. Their season is almost over too, and then we can get ready for the football onslaught of how great they are, and how bad we suck, I can hardly wait.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Some of you have a very unhealthy complex towards Iowa. Seek help.

Cymaster

Jun 14, 2006
First I'll start with the fact that I am not bagging on you Cymaster, but I am very tired of this arguement. Do any of us really believe that WM would get more out of the tem if Adam were on it? Do you think Adam being on the team is going to get Stinson to pass out when he is double/triple teamed? No, I just don't believe that he would add all that much to the team we had last year. Remember he was either going to take minutes from RC or Stinson, so I don't really see where he fits in last year's team.
He left us high and dry by going to Iowa and could give to shts what we are doing so we should return the faver. Don't post this crap here, leave it for the squawk boards. That said... good for him...(all sarcasm)

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. We were a three point threat away from being a pretty damn good team. I know Stinson was a a bit of a ball hog, but if you look at the early season games, he tried passing the ball off, especially to the post players. They didn't deliver then, and he gave up passing to them.

I'm a little surprised that you think Morgan wouldn't have sacrificed playing time for Clark, maybe even Stinson, if he could get the consistent 3-point threat we desperately needed. You sort of contradict yourself, also. You insinuate he wouldn't get playing time over Clark or Stinson, but go on to say he left us high and dry....

Of course, my opinion is irrelevant, which is why I'm typing on a message board and not coaching.....

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
You people that "hate" someone for leaving need to let it go. Are you all going to hate on Alex Thompson for doing the same exact thing in reverse? His dad even said he would stay at Iowa and then about a week later the announcement came out he wanted to leave. No big deal either way. These guys get to make their own decisions for what is in their best interests.