Spring Game

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
After watching Florida's spring game i got really excited for football. I think this was because they played an actual game. When i went to the ISU game it was basically a practice. Does anyone know if CPR will play a game or have a glorified practice?

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I really hope its a more gamelike then a practice. Should be a good crowd this year assuming good weather. It's VEISHEA weekend, lot of people in town. I didn't go to last years spring game, I chose to go to VEISHEA instead which was on a separate weekend (so I am very pumped they're on the same one this year, so no choosing.) The two before that I went to were very gamelike and while there was obviously teaching going on, it wasn't much like a practice. That's what they have practice for, not spring games. They are more for the fans and to give the kids gamelike experience, it's really important for the young guys to feel game speed.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Will we only get to sit on the west side for this game because of the east side renovations? I hope the jumbotron works this year.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I really hope its a more gamelike then a practice. Should be a good crowd this year assuming good weather. It's VEISHEA weekend, lot of people in town. I didn't go to last years spring game, I chose to go to VEISHEA instead which was on a separate weekend (so I am very pumped they're on the same one this year, so no choosing.) The two before that I went to were very gamelike and while there was obviously teaching going on, it wasn't much like a practice. That's what they have practice for, not spring games. They are more for the fans and to give the kids gamelike experience, it's really important for the young guys to feel game speed.

I really hope it has a quasi-gameday atmosphere since I'll be missing other Veishea events for the 'game.'

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
After watching Florida's spring game i got really excited for football. I think this was because they played an actual game. When i went to the ISU game it was basically a practice. Does anyone know if CPR will play a game or have a glorified practice?

That's one of the reasons I didn't go to the spring game last year or the year before and when my BS alarm about Chizik went from a mild clang to a more rapid ding, ding, ding.

He didn't want to talk about individual players to reporters, information fans crave, then he doesn't want to play a real spring game, which should be a reward for the diehards. He wasn't a very fan-friendly coach, which wouldn't have amounted to a hill of beans if he had been a better coach and won a few more games.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I know why everyone likes the game like spring game, but that is one area that I agree with Chizik on. You only have so many times to practice, so why not make it worth while and do the spring game in a way that would be of greatest benefit to the team. If the team will benefit most with a game style setting, go for it, otherwise, do the spring game however you need.

After all, what really matters is how we play in the games this fall.

Last edited:

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I know why everyone likes the game like spring game, but that is one area that I agree with Chizik on. You only have so many times to practice, so why not make it worth while and do the spring game in a way that would be of greatest benefit to the team. If the team will benefit most with a game style setting, go for it, otherwise, do the spring game however you need.

Good point Lets hope game-style spring game is what is best for the team. :smile:

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Right now I'd watch linemen do footwork drills for an hour just to get some football. Then again, I do actually watch combine coverage when it's on and I'm not busy.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006

How'd that work out for Geno?

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Well, game style didn't exactly work out for Dan, either.

Happy medium?

I would theorize that whatever form the spring game takes it will have virtually no effect on the teams performance in the fall.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
speaking of tailgating....picked up this 3 drawered plastic see-thru office cabinet made by serilite. each drawer measures 12" by 12".

The whole thing is about 15-18 inches tall, and perfect for holding all the tailgating accesories.....such as paper plates, napkins, seasonings, and the grilling utensils.

Got tired of just hauling stuff in grocery bags and the wind blowing it all over.

Reactions: mustangcy

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
Right now I'd watch linemen do footwork drills for an hour just to get some football. Then again, I do actually watch combine coverage when it's on and I'm not busy.

If you wish, you can contact the football office and they will allow you into practice (they just want prior notification).

Now, of course, this brings up a question. Why did I not do this during the last two weeks when I was not working?:confused:

Help Support Us

Become a patron