Hotels in Los Angeles

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I have no idea what are good areas or bad, but we are looking to maybe make a trip to LA this weekend. Anyone know of any good hotels that aren't TOO expensive. Is the area near Dodger stadium worth looking into, anything walking distance?

Longhorns3131

Oct 22, 2008
I have no idea what are good areas or bad, but we are looking to maybe make a trip to LA this weekend. Anyone know of any good hotels that aren't TOO expensive. Is the area near Dodger stadium worth looking into, anything walking distance?

Bad areas would be. South Central, Compton, Watts, Long Beach.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I lived in LA for eight years. Not sure what you are planning to do in LA, but sounds like maybe something with Dodger Stadium? The area around Dodger Stadium is mostly residential, but not one of the greatest neighborhoods. Any hotels in that area I think I would avoid.

Dodger Stadium is only a couple of miles from downtown. Not sure of your price range, but one of the better hotels downtown is the Bonaventure. There is also an Omni, a Sheraton, and a Marriot downtown. A couple of the older hotels are the Biltmore and the Mayfair. I used to stay at the Mayfair quite often, related to working downtown. The rooms were kind of small, but it was an old hotel that had been renovated. All depends on what you want to spend.

Nobody walks in L.A, and there is not a lot of mass transit that you would want to use. You almost have to have a car, or hire a driver. All depends on what you want to do.

Last edited:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
We would be going down for the WBC. I would stay with friends in Orange County but don't really want to spend half the weekend in the car.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Yeah, if you stay with friends in Orange County, you will spend some time on the freeways. I would suggest checking out some of the downtown hotels. There is a variety of price ranges, but be careful. If anything is too cheap, the area is probably not good. Again, don't think about walking anywhere, epescially at night downtown. There is bus service, but don't think I would suggest using that. If you don't want to rent a car, your best option is probably to take a cab wherever you need to go, but again, that will not be cheap. But, Dodger stadium is really close to downtown, just off Sunset, or just off the Pasadena Freeway.

You can pm me if you want.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
There's plenty of room at the Hotel California. Such a lovely place.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Yeah, if you stay with friends in Orange County, you will spend some time on the freeways. I would suggest checking out some of the downtown hotels. There is a variety of price ranges, but be careful. If anything is too cheap, the area is probably not good. Again, don't think about walking anywhere, epescially at night downtown. There is bus service, but don't think I would suggest using that. If you don't want to rent a car, your best option is probably to take a cab wherever you need to go, but again, that will not be cheap. But, Dodger stadium is really close to downtown, just off Sunset, or just off the Pasadena Freeway.

You can pm me if you want.

I lived in L.A. for a long time as well, Dryburn has good advice. You really aren't going to find anything within walking distance to the stadium, and even if you did you would still want access to an automobile to take in other things around the city.

Downtown is the closest and has quite a few nice hotels. Listen to Dryburn's advice though, it can be sketchy after dark even in the nice parts (My office was right downtown).

One potential option is South Pasadena. It's a straight shot up the 110 (Pasadena) Freeway from Dodger Stadium and has some really nice areas. With no traffic it would be about a ten minute drive, it could take twenty minutes to a half hour depending on the day and time. Lots of shopping and nightlife in the oldtown area. The Rose Bowl is right there as well if you are into seeing stadiums.

Burbank would be another option, about the same distance up the 5 Freeway.

The beach communities are my favorite, but you would be looking at a tough commute during rush-hour. Santa Monica would be about fifteen minutes with an empty freeway, more likely 45 minutes with traffic though.

PM me if you have questions.