Student Income Tax Question

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
I just did my sons taxes and thought his refund was a bit low and wondered how other students were faring. He made about $8200 paid $630 in fed and is getting back about 300. I claim him as a dependent so he gets no tuition deduction. I figured he would get more but perhaps he made more than I did when I went to school and he went over the income threshold. I used a program to do it so i doubt its wrong but it just didnt feel right.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
When I was in that same situation, my parents claimed me as well, a couple of years back I got even less than $300 back and I made right around $8,000.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
That's about right. Since you claim him as a dependent (which you should) he doesn't get the standard deduction others get.

Make sure YOU take the tuition credit - and in many cases it's doubled this year since most of Iowa is in a disaster relief area.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
He only had to pay $360 in federal income tax? I pay more than that every week!

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Im sure he would gladly trade you paychecks any week that you'd like.

This is why we need a flat tax, no deductions. A calculator is all you need at the end of the year.

Income x .whatever = how much you owe.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
This is why we need a flat tax, no deductions. A calculator is all you need at the end of the year.

Keep the withholding though. A lot of people aren't smart enough to set money aside for paying their taxes a year later.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Keep the withholding though. A lot of people aren't smart enough to set money aside for paying their taxes a year later.

Yeah, but people would pay a lot more attention to spending if they had to write a check for $20k in April. Suddenly those earthparks are not such a great idea.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Yeah, but people would pay a lot more attention to spending if they had to write a check for $20k in April. Suddenly those earthparks are not such a great idea.

You'd think that but a lot of people don't pay attention to having to pay bills each month. Have to keep the withholding.

Unless there is some magical way to do something to the people who don't pay up and still collect their money.

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
yes i checked with an accountant friend and he said its probably right. 0 tax on first $5500(standard deduct) and about ten percent on the rest so he actually made 8700 and owes 328 in tax . I must have always made under the standard deduct when i was a student. Tx for your help.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

A calculator is all you need if you are taking the standard deduction and dealing with W2 Forms. It isn't rocket science.

If you think there will be no deductions when implementing a flat tax and applying it to business you are certainly naive and have never ever owned a business.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
That's about right. Since you claim him as a dependent (which you should) he doesn't get the standard deduction others get.

Make sure YOU take the tuition credit - and in many cases it's doubled this year since most of Iowa is in a disaster relief area.

And if he goes to a college that is located in the disaster area you will be able to deduct his housing costs up to the amount that the school charges for its housing costs.

Help Support Us

Become a patron