Abs Diet

jeff0514

Apr 12, 2006
Ankeny, ia
Has anyone tried the Abs Diet before? I am in my second week. Its been very difficult trying to stock up on all the ingredients for the various recipes, but I think i've done an OK job of sticking to it. Unfortunately, we've had things going on at night this week, so I didn't get my Monday or Wednesday workout routine in.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Has anyone tried the Abs Diet before? I am in my second week. Its been very difficult trying to stock up on all the ingredients for the various recipes, but I think i've done an OK job of sticking to it. Unfortunately, we've had things going on at night this week, so I didn't get my Monday or Wednesday workout routine in.

I haven't "done" the diet, but I have read the book and it seems like a pretty good guide to follow. I use some of the recipes and they are very good but it can get pretty pricey to follow the diet to the T.

jeff0514

Apr 12, 2006
Ankeny, ia
Yeah I agree. I signed up for the 30-day free trial of the website. It gives your shopping lists, menus, workouts each week. I spent a ton of money on groceries for the first week. Unfortunately healthy food costs a lot. I'm going to try to stick to it and see whether it works.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I would suggest sticking pretty close to the diet for about 6 weeks or so, then you should pretty much get the drift of it and what your eating habits should be... A great book is Eat This Not That for suggestions after that...

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
This has always been an issue that I don't understand! I mean that I do understand why it is...but it is frustrating!

I guess I don't understand that. Fruits and vegetables are usually about the cheapest things in the grocery store.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
I guess I don't understand that. Fruits and vegetables are usually about the cheapest things in the grocery store.
You need a lot more than fruits and vegetables to have a healthy diet. Anything that has any decent nutritional value is not cheap. Anybody can buy iceberg lettuce, but you could get the same effect from drinking a glass of water.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Personal pet peeve - First of all, you can't target a body part with a diet. So "abs diet"? riiiight. Second, healthy food is not expensive. Provided you use common sense, and know how to substitute.

Goodbody-1.jpg

This is my torso, after losing 70 pounds, at age 45. (Actually, between age 43 and now) I did this on around $20 a week, total food cost. Lots of oatmeal, canned or dried fruit (fresh bananas are dirt cheap) soup, and the cheapest forms of protein I could find. Oh, and root vegetables. Lots and lots of dirt cheap root vegetables. My resting heart rate is 39, my BP is 114/52 and my cholesterol, while between 180 and 211, is off the charts on the good side, when adjusted for HDL/LDL.

Much ado is made in the fitness community about nutrients. I think, based on my own experience, the fascination with over-nutrifying is a bit wacked. Of course, I only have my own experience, losing a ton of weight, getting in terrific shape, and rolling back my physical clock 20 years; I guess I don't have a book, a TV show and a fitness magazine article to rely upon....

Most people overthink nutrition. Exercise more, eat less usually works. If you feel fatigue or have cravings, find the source of the missing nutrient that you can afford.

I have a co-worker that spends a fortune on supplements/******* constantly about the food selection/exercize equipment here.
DSC00165.jpg
One of us continues to get results; the other doesn't. Who do you suppose gets the results? "Hint - that would be me."

Last edited:

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Personal pet peeve - First of all, you can't target a body part with a diet. So "abs diet"? riiiight. Second, healthy food is not expensive. Provided you use common sense, and know how to substitute.

Much ado is made in the fitness community about nutrients. I think, based on my own experience, the fascination with over-nutrifying is a bit wacked. Of course, I only have my own experience, losing a ton of weight, getting in terrific shape, and rolling back my physical clock 20 years; I guess I don't have a book, a TV show and a fitness magazine article to rely upon....

Most people overthink nutrition. Exercise more, eat less usually works. If you feel fatigue or have cravings, find the source of the missing nutrient that you can afford.

I have a co-worker that spends a fortune on supplements/******* constantly about the food selection/exercize equipment here. One of us continues to get results; the other doesn't. Who do you suppose gets the results? "Hint - that would be me."

LOVE THIS GUY!

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I drink alcohol and mountain dew, too much of it. Go to the rec once every three weeks. I stay toned and defined. :yes:

Side warning- Avoid asking CycloneErik any workout tips/questions especially abs , he obviously doesnt know anything! :jimlad:

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
You need a lot more than fruits and vegetables to have a healthy diet. Anything that has any decent nutritional value is not cheap. Anybody can buy iceberg lettuce, but you could get the same effect from drinking a glass of water.

While I agree about iceberg, I think the above statement, with that caveat, is demonstrably incorrect.

loki8838

Nov 27, 2006
Phaedrus is absolutely dead on. No matter how hard you try you cannot target your abs with a diet. If you think you can get 6-pack abs by doing thousands of crunches or other ab exercises without changing your diet, all you are doing is wasting your time. In fact, if you don't reduce your overall bodyfat percentage, you will actually make your gut look bigger, as the added abdominal muscle under the fat layer just makes everything stick out further.

It boils down to this: There is no miracle diet, there is no miracle exercise. If your body burns 3500 more calories than you consumed you will lose 1 pound. Forget every infomercial you have ever seen, and forget every magical weight-loss article you have ever read. You don't necessarily need to go to the gym, but find yourself a good personal trainer (operable word being "good").

Reactions: Phaedrus

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
It boils down to this: There is no miracle diet, there is no miracle exercise. If your body burns 3500 more calories than you consumed you will lose 1 pound.

Whoa! Are you telling me that you can improve your appearance by using "math?"

Now THAT'S some crazy talk, there! [/supportive sarcasm]

But how many books can you sell doing math???

hall4cy

Oct 22, 2007
Dallas, TX
The most beneficial thing I have learned about a good diet is portion size and buying the right foods. Here is a good thing to think about when you go into a grocery store. The outsides of the store are where your produce, milk, meats etc are. aka...your natural more healthy foods. The inner aisles are typically a place you want to stay away from when you are working to lose weight and dieting because everything in those aisles are processed foods minus the frozen foods aisle. So think about that the next time you buy food at a grocery store, how much are you buying from the outer/inner aisles and it is usually a good indicator as to what kind of diet you have.

jeff0514

Apr 12, 2006
Ankeny, ia
From what I have read about the "Abs Diet" so far, its really not a "diet". Its just learning to eat foods that are better for you, combined with weight training/exercise. Basically it focuses on eating more fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains, and dairy to name a few. I think they just call it the "Abs Diet" to sell their book, DVD, website, etc. I guess I just need the structure to get in the routine of eating better and exercising.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

Most people overthink nutrition. Exercise more, eat less usually works.

As usual, Phaedrus is dead-on. I have been doing a "Biggest Loser" challenge at work since mid-January and have lost 17 lbs in 7 weeks, and probably 2-3 inches off my waist. I'm working out about 3-4 days a week at the fitness center at work, doing roughly 30 minutes of weights (dumbbells and machines) and about 10-15 minutes of moderately intense cardio each day.

The biggest thing has been eating less. I'm not doing any sort of fad diet or following any book. Eat less pasta and bread, replace it with fruits and vegetables, and eat lean meat. That's it. I'm probably in the neighborhood of 1500-2000 calories per day, though I don't really keep track all that much.

The challenge is 12 weeks long and I hope to lose a total of 25-30 lbs. Other than the effort to work out, it's been pretty minimal effort on my part, and I'm not exactly starving either.

Oh yeah, I haven't done a single ab exercise in 7 weeks either.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
The biggest thing has been eating less. I'm not doing any sort of fad diet or following any book. Eat less pasta and bread, replace it with fruits and vegetables, and eat lean meat. That's it. I'm probably in the neighborhood of 1500-2000 calories per day, though I don't really keep track all that much.
I know that you were referring to with eating healthy vs. unhealthy foods, but just eating less is where most people go ary. They try to drastically drop their calorie count when going on their "diet" which is a horrible idea. Doing this will slow down your metabolism and send your body into conservation mode, which means storing more fat. Then they give up on the diet because they don't see any results in the mirror, they go back to eating like they were, with a slower metabolism and end up gaining more weight.