Thursday's Weather

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
It sounds like most of the local news channels are saying that most of the precip. on Thursday is going to be rain here in the Des Moines area. Does that mean we are going to get a foot of snow? They haven't gotten it right much this winter. People on this board have been more accurate that most of the local channels. What are the weather gurus thinking this storm will do? Any chance we get more snow, I would rather have the snow personally (I like snow and winter)?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It's tough to tell at this point. As I told other people today, something will happen and it will be different kinds of precip. Temperature will be very important. I think your love of winter will have to wait awhile I don't think we have much winter left, which makes me VERY happy its about time for some severe weather.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
It's tough to tell at this point. As I told other people today, something will happen and it will be different kinds of precip. Temperature will be very important. I think your love of winter will have to wait awhile I don't think we have much winter left, which makes me VERY happy its about time for some severe weather.

Is the extended outlook saying that winter is fizzling out? Last year we had a ton of snow in March but you aren't seeing that happening again this year huh? It looks like there is a lot of moisture in this system so as you stated it will be interesting to see what the temps do.

matmann22

Dec 31, 2007
Pleasant Hill
matmann22.spaces.live.com
It is FAR more likely that Central Iowa sees ice accumulations than heavy snow. By the time we get enough cold air aloft to be snow, the event will be mostly over.

I'm a little surprised the National Weather Service just has a Winter Storm Watch box for far Northern Iowa.

I'm thinking some kind of Freezing rain/Winter Weather Advisory for I-80 and points North (say 6 am to noon) should be issued. If you take the forecasted temps around 30 for the first couple of hours of the event Thursday morning it will be freezing rain with a tenth of an inch or so of accums.

The big event to watch today is how warm it gets. If the warmer NAM model verifies (which is what the forecasted temps are based on per the NWS forecast discussion this morning) then more rain and less ice are in the cards. If the colder GFS verifies, ice storm !

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I think it's great that people cheer the weatherman at games when he gives a good report. It makes me laugh.

Even better was the Nebraska game when he didn't move to show the weather cause it was so cold out. When he moved to show something like -30 he got booed fairly heavily.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm no weather man, but I didn't get the impression there would be much for precipitation in central iowa at all. Sounded like northern Iowa would get ice, and there wouldn't be snow till a ways into Minnesota...

MrsWx4Cy

Dec 5, 2007
I think it's great that people cheer the weatherman at games when he gives a good report. It makes me laugh.

I've heard that there is a section that gives me a big "Thanks Metinka" afterwards. Thanks, it warms my heart:wink:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron