Our favorite Ref at it again

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Our favorite ref is running the game on ESPN right now. Anyone suprised that the foul count is not very even? Its like 9-2 in favor of pitt.

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
Our favorite ref is running the game on ESPN right now. Anyone suprised that the foul count is not very even? Its like 9-2 in favor of pitt.

I will lead with the statement that I am not watching the current game you are referencing, but rather am replying to a genereal thought: Who ever said the foul count has to be even? The only time I hear that is from the coach of the team getting less calls. When an attacking style team (lots of dribble penetration) plays versus a primarily 3-pt shooting team, there is often a big desparity in the amount of fouls called. Same goes when an aggressive full-court man to man is played versus a pack-it-in-the-lane zone. Please don't take these comments to be as from an apologist for said official!

Reactions: clones_jer

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
It does seem rather odd, that isu seems to commit a lot more fouls than the other team in these last few games. I don't have the exact numbers, but it is just odd.

My point would be that if a team is being agressive on defense, i.e. full court pressing for most of the game, it would seem logical that their foul count would be higher than our half court style of defense. But somehow we always seem to have more fouls.

It also makes me really mad when the refs bailed out byron eaton several times when he was in the lane, off balanced and throws up a shot, and they call body on haluska, what every happened to if your going to come into the lane you better go strong?

Oh, and where is the ref "big steve"???? He always let them play, and has been the most consistent ref i've seen, and he will talk to the students before and throughout the game, he just tried to make the mood light. Anyone know where he's at, havent seen him at a game this year.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
I am fine with a little one sided but when there is a difference of 7 and the two teams arent that much different.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
It does seem rather odd, that isu seems to commit a lot more fouls than the other team in these last few games. I don't have the exact numbers, but it is just odd.

My point would be that if a team is being agressive on defense, i.e. full court pressing for most of the game, it would seem logical that their foul count would be higher than our half court style of defense. But somehow we always seem to have more fouls.

It's unfortunate to say, but less skilled teams also collect more fouls as they try to catch up with the quicker or more skilled teams - and that's discounting the end of the game when we have to foul.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
he has 4 fouls is that what you mean. he should be coming in any time now.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Ted Hilary is horrible also.

Hightower invented the make-up call, and it changed the game forever.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
How about this ref!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8aAC4jrPM"]YouTube - "He was giving him the business!!!"[/ame]

Reactions: CYdTracked

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
Yea, that's "big steve" several years ago when my sister was chairperson of cyclone alley, I went to the game early with her, and was standing courtside, and could just here the guy talking to the players and he even came and talked to me.

throughout the game, during timeouts etc he would talk to the fans, just had a good time officiating collegiate basketball.

Is he injured this year? Is that why he hasn't been at hilton?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron