Floyd Goes Nuts!

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Defender was nowhere close to set. Tim had a right to be upset. The thing is, any good official talks to the other official on contradicting calls.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think McDermott has been damn close to blowing a gasket a few times this year...I wouldn't be surprised if it happens by the end of the season...

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Some of the charge calls I have seen this year have made me want to puke... First of all, the NCAA NEEDS to get the semi-circle like the NBA. Second, they need to start dishing out technicals for obvious flops to keep people from sliding under guys. Too many times people try and slide under and take a dive and it's going to get someone hurt. The Hansbourough charge towards the end of the UNC game was a joke... They really need to take control of it...

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
PAC10 officiating has been suspect all year. Last week in the UCLA/ASU game there was a terrible charge called against Collison late in the game where DC made a great move to the basket and moving his body to the side of the defender as he was in the air. You could cleary see via replay that the defender was moving into collison as collison was in the air. This should have been a and one situation but ASU shot the FT's and changed the game in the last couple of minutes.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Some of the charge calls I have seen this year have made me want to puke... First of all, the NCAA NEEDS to get the semi-circle like the NBA. Second, they need to start dishing out technicals for obvious flops to keep people from sliding under guys. Too many times people try and slide under and take a dive and it's going to get someone hurt. The Hansbourough charge towards the end of the UNC game was a joke... They really need to take control of it...

Couldn't agree more... I'm sick of watching the Vlade Divac show in college basketball. There is a time and a place for a charge.... everytime a big guy backs down a smaller guy isn't the time. There needs to be some sort of penalty for obvious flops.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I think McDermott has been damn close to blowing a gasket a few times this year...I wouldn't be surprised if it happens by the end of the season...

I think McDermott knows how far he can go and goes that far but not over it. He sure works the refs good at times. His feeling him taking a T hurts the team. But after some calls his team gets at some point he needs to stand up from them.

clintr

Nov 12, 2007
Ames, IA
Can't say I blame him. Horrible call. I am not a huge Tim Floyd fan but I wish Greg showed some emotion every now and then...

Have you been attending any men's basketball games this year? Not watching on TV, but actually sitting/standing in the stands...

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Didn't look like a good call on that one, but when will people realize that you don't have to be 'set' to take a charge. You just have to establish defensive position first. Heck, you can even be jumping and taking a charge.

Reactions: clones_jer

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
Defender was nowhere close to set. Tim had a right to be upset. The thing is, any good official talks to the other official on contradicting calls.

First, let me say after viewing the video, it was indeed in my opinion a missed call, and not even that close of one. I would also say that the block/charge rules are one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. I often here people say "he wasn't set when contact was made." Point is he doesn't have to be "Set". There is part of the definition that includes having established initial position on defense, but after that point, they can be moving. For example, if a defender jumps straight up in the air and the offensive player comes into him, it can be a charge even though both the defender's feet are off the ground...seldom called that way I know, but that is how the rule reads in high school, and in college I beleive.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
PAC10 officiating has been suspect all year. Last week in the UCLA/ASU game there was a terrible charge called against Collison late in the game where DC made a great move to the basket and moving his body to the side of the defender as he was in the air. You could cleary see via replay that the defender was moving into collison as collison was in the air. This should have been a and one situation but ASU shot the FT's and changed the game in the last couple of minutes.

I saw that too, terrible, felt bad for UCLA, but then I remembered they were UCLA.

jdmillen

Mar 14, 2007
Can you say Floyd goes Eustachy, looks very reminiscent of Michigan State in '00. But if you remember Floyd got ejected from 2 games while he was at Iowa State, but never making a scene like he did in this video. This video was sweet though, way to go Floyd, I agree it was a HORRIDLE call, I dont even know how you call that a charge. I wish McD would at least get after the officials in games. I mean he talks to him during the whole game, but he never blows up on them. He is too nice, and im not saying I want McD to get ejected from every game but for him to stick up for his team would be nice.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Can you say Floyd goes Eustachy, looks very reminiscent of Michigan State in '00. But if you remember Floyd got ejected from 2 games while he was at Iowa State, but never making a scene like he did in this video. This video was sweet though, way to go Floyd, I agree it was a HORRIDLE call, I dont even know how you call that a charge. I wish McD would at least get after the officials in games. I mean he talks to him during the whole game, but he never blows up on them. He is too nice, and im not saying I want McD to get ejected from every game but for him to stick up for his team would be nice.

Did you watch the end of the OU Game? I'm still shocked McDermott did not pick up a T there...

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
The big thing with this call is the defender never established a legal guarding position as he was still moving into the area of the offensive player. The kid deserves credit though because he sold it like a charge. In 3 man mechanics that call is right in the middle of the lead official (baseline) and the center officials primary zone. The center official did the correct thing in raising the fist to designate a foul but never motioned a mechanic. He waited for the lead official to make the call or to confer with him before making the call.

If you watch the video again the center official stands with his arm raised the whole time, never once does he motion "block".

I think the idea of giving out technical fouls for flops is a waste of time. No official will call a technical foul for a flop. Right now many high school associations have that as a rule already but you never see officials calling a T for a flop. The appropriate call (if any call is to be made) is just to make a block call and not give the defensive player the opportunity to be rewarded for "acting". Really good officials don't have this problem because they TALK to the players on the court. They emphasize that they are not going to call flops when they see them.

Tim Floyd had the right to be upset but the official to blame is the lead official, not the center official.

Help Support Us

Become a patron