306,000 alumni could turn the tide

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yes, the physical work they put in on top of other responsibilities is a lot. Same with coaches (hours working etc.).

But financially when were they in a bad spot?

Let’s also remember that they are (hopefully) doing something they enjoy and are passionate about if they’ve made it to the P5 level.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
You mean like the Ray's or A's?

Tampa has made 8 playoff appearances in the last 15 years with 2 World Series appearances. Oakland has made 7 playoffs in the last 15 years, both with minimal funds.

This isn't the doomsday scenario that you are predicting. Congress is already starting to get involved, just need to let it sort itself out for now. Iowa State will be fine.
Congress is looking at it - Joe Manchin and Tommy Tuberville. Couple of years away......if ever.

Gotta love universities - everyone should be equal and fair for all, except in athletics. They are all exercising extreme capitalism and destroying the system.

Pro football owners, all extreme Capitalists, except Green Bay, and they have equal revenue sharing to protect the system.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I'll repeat again: even if ISU raises as much as possible, it will still not be as much as others. Ever.

Aren't athletes still coming to ISU even though they're not getting as much as others?

I know NIL would be involved in next year's highly rated bball recruiting class...but even now those players had chances to get more at other places.
Correct. It will now be a combination of expected playing time and money/NIL. Iowa State, in BB as an example, has potential for playing time. Hence, high-level recruits will look at us for less money.

In '24-'25, if all of our guys return for BB, then recruiting gets harder for us since we don't offer top dollar. It will be a cycle.

Please note though that we are utilizing NIL as we speak and need it to stay even. People aren't coming and staying for nothing.

We would have lost 3-4 starters in FB lastbyear without NIL payments.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Boy I wish I could find an employer that paid for my housing, all my food, gave me access to athletic trainers and personal health coaches and dieticians, gave me a wardrobe of branded clothes, my pick of Nike footwear, and tutors to help me through my work and that is BEFORE they pay me my salary.
Correct. That is the market. Play in it or decay.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
You're projecting and ignoring what I'm saying.

Money is a factor. It's always been a factor. Always will be. ISU has always been behind other schools in this and if they had a bump in NIL money, the other schools will just increase theirs.

ISU bball still has a top ten recruiting class coming in despite NIL. Football's recruiting has been steady. Are you ignoring that?
You don't think NIL played a role in this class?

Reactions: Tom Buch

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Correct. That is the market. Play in it or decay.

What exactly does “decay” look like to you? There’s no change in the TV money situation (actually going UP). Cyclone fans have always shown up to Hilton and JTS in the best of times and worst of times. I don’t get it. You don’t know what is going to happen. There’s no precedent for any of this to look back on.

Just stfu with your fauxtradamus crap. You’re only making people hate NIL more so it’s your choice in how you continue to operate.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
What exactly does “decay” look like to you? There’s no change in the TV money situation (actually going UP). Cyclone fans have always shown up to Hilton and JTS in the best of times and worst of times. I don’t get it. You don’t know what is going to happen. There’s no precedent for any of this to look back on.

Just stfu with your fauxtradamus crap. You’re only making people hate NIL more so it’s your choice in how you continue to operate.
You are hilarious. Really, u are.

U look up what decay means in the dictionary since u don't know.

I hate NIL - everybody does.

Without NIL, our recruiting classes in FB, BB, and starters on the FB team last year would have been different. Thank goodness we have givers to the NIL.

• Haha

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Nothing like fear mongering to solicit donations LOL

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Without NIL, our recruiting classes in FB, BB, and starters on the FB team last year would have been different. Thank goodness we have givers to the NIL.

Link?

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022

To me, decay looks almost exactly like ISU circa 1978-1995. Except without recent wrestling championships to hang our coats on.

The good news is that we have JP at the helm at least for a little while longer.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
To me, decay looks almost exactly like ISU circa 1978-1995. Except without recent wrestling championships to hang our coats on.

The good news is that we have JP at the helm at least for a little while longer.

So with record TV deals for FB, a vastly stronger fan base with vastly improved facilities and fan experience, with a potential mega project getting underway…what is the decay? Tell me what is decaying and will decay.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020

What you hate or don’t hate won’t matter. What people give might.

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
So with record TV deals for FB, a vastly stronger fan base with vastly improved facilities and fan experience, with a potential mega project getting underway…what is the decay? Tell me what is decaying and will decay.
I appreciate the insight. Our fan base does set us apart (i think we got a kid to commit shortly after the texas game).

But everyone in the b12 got the same TV deal. We've only gained against the G5 schools. If we were previously competing with G5 (and we were, which is sad to think about), we have nothing to worry about. But if the goal is to compete against P5 / P6 programs (in particular PAC12, ACC, and Big East) we are not making up any ground with the TV contract alone. And if I'm not mistaken we are in the bottom 10 P5 AD departments today. If someone knows different I would very much appreciate the good news as it may change my perspective because I am in the camp that AD revenue is the primary measuring stick. Followed shortly after by football win percentage.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I appreciate the insight. Our fan base does set us apart (i think we got a kid to commit shortly after the texas game).

But everyone in the b12 got the same TV deal. We've only gained against the G5 schools. If we were previously competing with G5 (and we were, which is sad to think about), we have nothing to worry about. But if the goal is to compete against G5 / G6 programs (in particular PAC12, ACC, and Big East) we are not making up any ground with the TV contract alone. And if I'm not mistaken we are in the bottom 10 P5 AD departments today. If someone knows different I would very much appreciate the good news as it may change my perspective because I am in the camp that AD revenue is the primary measuring stick. Followed shortly after by football win percentage.

I guess I’m just not on that plane. Fan base, winning at a level commensurate with our conference/location/budget, continued upgrades to facilities, and continuing to grow our brand are my priorities. The school as an institution is decaying (losing AAU status) and will probably relegate us to some hypothetical “lower tier” before anything to do with this joke called “NIL” will.

Reactions: Cyclone Pfan

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016

NIL sure helped the record last year. Should have saved it.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Do entities (businesses, non-profits, universities, etc) go through cycles?

For the first time in the history of Iowa State, we had equal revenue sharing, except for the Longhorn Network, for 6-7 years? Have we benefitted? Yes.

Is it now gone due to NIL.

If coaches don't have NIL money they will leave. And that includes Campbell and TJ. Both of them are utilizing NIL. What kind of coach will u get if we don't have NIL.

If u can't see how decay sets in under this scenario then I don't know what else to say.

Please talk to Danny Mac if he saw and witnessed decay in our athletic department.

Reactions: Cyclone Pfan