Peyton Robb

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA

Very scary deal. Amazing he took the mat Saturday morning feeling like he was. Here's to hoping for a full recovery and the wrestling community rallying around him and his family.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Also, they need to stop using the UV Lights to clean mats at NCAAs. Those don't do anything and clearly don't keep the mats clean.
Not sure if that was a good sales pitch or if there is really any data to back that up. Of Course, data can be manipulated to back any sales pitch.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I’m not sure if the specific UV lights used on the mats have been studied, but there is very solid evidence that UV light kills the bacteria that causes something like necrotizing fasciitis.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Read his entry on wikipedia and, yes, that was the same disease. They talked about taking Smith's leg but were able to save it.
It sounded a lot like it when reading the donation post. Crazy stuff

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
Our school implemented those UV lights when they were allowed to return post Covid...superintendent claims a lot of good data supporting them.

In certain hog barns they have UV boxes that they put supplies into to "clean" them.

I have no idea how this translates to a wrestling mat and how quickly bacteria lives/dies in that scenario.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Seems odd that just a split second of the light can disinfect the mats. I mean they aren't running with them, but they aren't standing still for any time either.

ISUTKD

Nov 9, 2009
Portland
UV light to take care of sweat, blood, dirt f
Also, they need to stop using the UV Lights to clean mats at NCAAs. Those don't do anything and clearly don't keep the mats clean.
UV sterilizes. It is extremely effective. However, you must clean first. Clean, then sterilize. That's how it works. With wrestling mats if there are micro tears in the in surface of the mat then the cleaning and the disinfecting agents need to be able to penetrate into the cracks or there will be a pocket of diesease pressure that will re-infect the mat over time.

ISUTKD

Nov 9, 2009
Portland
Seems odd that just a split second of the light can disinfect the mats. I mean they aren't running with them, but they aren't standing still for any time either.
UV works by destroying DNA. It takes very little time to be effective with enough UV radiation.

Help Support Us

Become a patron