NIL op ed

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The moment they move in the direction of better care or compensation of athletes, the same exact group that is now saying these athletes are exploited would be screaming employees! and use these things to hook college programs into that designation. That's half the reason that the NCAA was dragging their feet in the first place.
Yep. Also while I know the point of the board is debate I am kinda surprised anyone on here would be in favor for this because considering people constantly post about how cheap ISU fans/alums are, making athletes employees would be pretty devastating for ISU.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Going from one model to another one could be really difficult. They would undoubtedly have more expensive facilities than DIII would warrant, and debt to match.

I don't profess to have even an basically understanding of small school economics.

But for the major conferences, if we live in a world where Jack effing Swarbrick can make probably close to 3 million dollars a year we can find a way to find at least that amount to pay players. It's just intellectually dishonest to state otherwise.

Reactions: cycloneG

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don't profess to have even an basically understanding of small school economics.

But for the major conferences, if we live in a world where Jack effing Swarbrick can make probably close to 3 million dollars a year we can find a way to find at least that amount to pay players. It's just intellectually dishonest to state otherwise.
Once you pay them, then they'll be employees with all the costs attached to that, and also there will be a bidding war on players that creates a steep divide of have and have nots, worse than what we see with NIL. A lot of programs (and not just small ones) will just bow out.

Paying one dude (particularly one dude in charge of one of the largest, most prestigious athletic departments in the country) a lot of money doesn't translate to having the money to pay hundreds of people any significant amount of money (again, especially with all the related costs that would come with that).

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Once you pay them, then they'll be employees with all the costs attached to that, and also there will be a bidding war on players that creates a steep divide of have and have nots, worse than what we see with NIL. A lot of programs (and not just small ones) will just bow out.

Paying one dude (particularly one dude in charge of one of the largest, most prestigious athletic departments in the country) a lot of money doesn't translate to having the money to pay hundreds of people any significant amount of money (again, especially with all the related costs that would come with that).
Also we are paying players now, it’s called NIL. The best revenue generating athletes are all being paid in addition to their scholarships and other benefits

Reactions: Cyclonepride

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I think they should be employees and they'll need to figure out a way to handle that, and if they can't with the amount of dollars being thrown around everybody in these AD's are dumber than I thought.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
ND AD

IMO schools are starting to see the reality of athletes being treated as employees.
They should reap what they have allowed to happen. No protection from government.
It's my understanding that schools rely on individuals insurance to cover competitive injuries. Am I wrong?
It seems to me that it's starting to get out of control. Unfortunatley, for the have-nots, it will have to get worse and more out of control, and the Covid year to be done, etc., before it matters. Before it matters to anybody who can somewhat fix it, that is. And my definition of fixing, would likely include some measures of equity, disclosure, monetary caps, taxation, etc. Some rules and governance, in other words.

Yes, and taxation. Who decides or knows how much some of these players are getting, and are they fairly taxed for this income? I don't see that as possible in today's climate of NIL, with basically no rules. I haven't been following it that closely.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Swarbrick, earning 2.5 million as of 2019, and earns way more than 99% of all AD's... says the money is out of control and athletics is in crisis.

He's correct though.
So yes, ND and Swarbuck, are part of the "haves", the bluebloods of the athletic world. So criticism against him speaking out, is somewhat valid.

It's going to takes a wide assortment of people, who want to save college athletics, people of the "haves" and the "have nots", coming together, to come up with some solutions.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
It seems to me that it's starting to get out of control. Unfortunatley, for the have-nots, it will have to get worse and more out of control, and the Covid year to be done, etc., before it matters. Before it matters to anybody who can somewhat fix it, that is. And my definition of fixing, would likely include some measures of equity, disclosure, monetary caps, taxation, etc. Some rules and governance, in other words.

Yes, and taxation. Who decides or knows how much some of these players are getting, and are they fairly taxed for this income? I don't see that as possible in today's climate of NIL, with basically no rules. I haven't been following it that closely.
Pretty sure they are paying taxes to avoid tax fraud. Most schools have depts to handle this and help the students out with this part.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Pretty sure they are paying taxes to avoid tax fraud. Most schools have depts to handle this and help the students out with this part.
OK. I hope the schools are doing it right. How do we know though?

Sure, it's all right on their W2's, clear as day. Nothing under the table, at all.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Right now you have to have 14 programs to be in the NCAA's. I think they'd have some sort of minimum going forward.

I think they'd just switch to a DIII type model.
So if there is a legal determination that D1 players are classified as employees, why would that same classification not apply to D2 or D3? There is clearly way more money at the D1 levels, but the lower levels also earn revenue from sports played by players who get a scholarship at most.

Reactions: Urbandale2013

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
OK. I hope the schools are doing it right. How do we know though?

Sure, it's all right on their W2's, clear as day. Nothing under the table, at all.
How do we know if anyone is paying their proper taxes? We don’t, that’s why tax fraud is a crime.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

The IRS does that, just like they do for all of the rest of us. And if someone doesn't pay their taxes, then they'll pay the price, just like the rest of us. We don't need special rules and/or protections for these people, just because they're athletes. Non-athletes get endorsement deals for their name, image and likeness all the time, and nobody worries about if they're getting taxed fairly on it. Some folks seem to throw up their hands at problems that already have solutions, when it comes to this new landscape of college athletics.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The IRS does that, just like they do for all of the rest of us. And if someone doesn't pay their taxes, then they'll pay the price, just like the rest of us. We don't need special rules and/or protections for these people, just because they're athletes. Non-athletes get endorsement deals for their name, image and likeness all the time, and nobody worries about if they're getting taxed fairly on it. Some folks seem to throw up their hands at problems that already have solutions, when it comes to this new landscape of college athletics.
All of this is new. And NIL has been a legitimate enterprise for professional athletes for some time, yes. That doesn't mean the blending of new and old here, will be a saintly endeavor.

It just seems to have so many ways to play the game, so many ways to hide income. There are no rules yet, that I am aware of, of any substance, that is. How can someone fairly pay tax when the government, or IRS, does not know how much income for NIL was involved? Are the alumni and boosters following W4 instructions and submitting W2 forms? Good luck with that.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Regarding the tax aspect of this, I see two avenues here. 1) a company pays an athlete for a sponsorship/advertisement. This creates a 1099 from the company to the athlete so that the company can claim it as a tax deductible expense. 2) someone donates to a collective/charity, gets a tax deduction that way. Collective/charity then uses money to pay athletes to do some charitable activity. Collective/charity then sends 1099 to athlete.

In both cases, a 1099 is produced and thus recorded for the IRS to know about and expect from the athlete.

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
So if there is a legal determination that D1 players are classified as employees, why would that same classification not apply to D2 or D3? There is clearly way more money at the D1 levels, but the lower levels also earn revenue from sports played by players who get a scholarship at most.
This is an interesting thought, what is stopping the classification from going to even lower levels? Some private high schools will give scholarships to play on their sports teams, is it just the fact that D1 football and basketball make money that is the problem?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
All of this is new. And NIL has been a legitimate enterprise for professional athletes for some time, yes. That doesn't mean the blending of new and old here, will be a saintly endeavor.

It just seems to have so many ways to play the game, so many ways to hide income. There are no rules yet, that I am aware of, of any substance, that is. How can someone fairly pay tax when the government, or IRS, does not know how much income for NIL was involved? Are the alumni and boosters following W4 instructions and submitting W2 forms? Good luck with that.
Again, you're talking about a problem that already has a solution mechanism in place. Both the entity that's paying and the payee are required by law to report those payments to the IRS. Failing to do so can result in significant punishment. Now, do some people still cheat on their taxes? Sure. Do some get away with it? Sure. And some NIL payers/recipients are going to do that too. But the legal guidelines are already in place for this, and have been for years and years. Just because legal payments to college athletes are new, doesn't mean that the rules for paying taxes on those payments are as well.

Last edited:

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Again, you're talking about a problem that already has a solution mechanism in place. Both the entity that's paying and the payee are required by law to report those payments to the IRS. Failing to do so can result in significant punishment. Now, do some people still cheat? Sure. Do some get away with it? Sure. And some NIL payers/recipients are going to do that too. But the legal guidelines are already in place for this, and have been for years and years. Just because legal payments to college athletes is new, doesn't mean that the rules for paying taxes on those payments are as well.
Yep. If the people targeting tax audits are smart (which is debateable) they will target the **** out of College NIL for a few years to raise revenue and to help "encourage" compliance.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
The 1099 rules are pretty easy to interpret. I can see a lot of people potentially getting caught not executing them. Especially after taking a deduction.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
How do we know players weren't paid as recruits before NIL? We don't, that's why NIL is fine.
Not fine. In its present form.

I would be in favor of more regulation, caps, an equity bias, so that the "haves" cannot simply outspend the "have-nots". And while they are at it, make NIL something that the advertisers, the universities, etc., pick up, rather than the fans. The fans pay for too much (or enough) as it is.

Also, when the fans have to pay for NIL (I realize that advertisers are set up to pay the athletes for NIL, to some extent), schools like ISU lose out because they cannot compete with even minimally similar cash flow.

Help Support Us

Become a patron