Iowa State Transfer/Recruiting Class 2023

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Have there been whispers about Knecht or is that just your hopes that he'll come? A quick google indicates he's been in contact with a lot of "bigger" programs, so I just assume he'll be too expensive for ISU.
I was just playing the hypothetical game but as @WizardKelly mentioned, ISU was one of the few schools that the writer specifically discussed, rather than us being just a name in a list.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
This is what I was wondering. Because if it doesn't, then in your scenario, Lipsey and King might be kinda pissed that a guy playing "8-12" mpg is getting 50k.
Also, it's just absurd to think a guy playing 8-12 mpg is going to get any cash other than maybe lunch money. That's Watson and Ward level last year.
Exactly my thoughts...this is where this could get very tricky...sure, pro ball has various contracts on a team....but rewarding what you have vs "going to get talent" certainly could feel a certain way to many folks involved.

Michaelgraham

Jan 26, 2022
Rumored 3 open scholarship's... If I ran We Will and had $250K to allocate (Feel like that is fair value for ISU, maybe I'm way off) my allocation of $250K in funds would look like this..

50% to a starting combo guard - $125K
30% a PF/Center who can shoot - $75K (Ben Vander Plas example, Probably have to spend more for a Grant Basile)
20% to a reserve guard - $50K (ideally a 8-12MPG player who can shoot)

From what Blum has stated on the Sunday Night pod, $125K can get you into the top tier of guards in the portal. Not the ELITE but a really high level player (NEEEEEEDS to be a shooter)

Lipsey
Stud SG
Omaha
Tre King
Vander Plas example

(Ranked in MPG)
Williams
Milan
Transfer guard
Watson
BRE
Ward
Hamilton
Fish

Starting lineup has 4/5 who can stretch. 3/5 in your starting lineup are 6'7"-6'8". At least 4of your top 6 are high level defenders and rebounders. A myself essay helped me get what I think about myself as a learning student. Allows BRE and Ward to play their perfect role of all out energy and effort for 4 stretches between timeouts.
Well, having a reserve guard who can shoot is also a good idea, as that results to valuable depth and scoring off the bench.
$125K can get you into the top tier of guards in the portal - sounds interesting. Of course, I see it as a bit of a gamble when recruiting players from the portal, as you never know how they will perform at a new school.
Overall, I would ask smth about your allocation of scholarship funds - do you have any thoughts on how you would approach recruiting and developing these players once they're on your team?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Well, having a reserve guard who can shoot is also a good idea, as that results to valuable depth and scoring off the bench.
$125K can get you into the top tier of guards in the portal - sounds interesting. Of course, I see it as a bit of a gamble when recruiting players from the portal, as you never know how they will perform at a new school.
Overall, I would ask smth about your allocation of scholarship funds - do you have any thoughts on how you would approach recruiting and developing these players once they're on your team?
I think you also have to keep in mind how Tamin, Omaha, Milan, Tre, Demarion and others feel about players coming in and getting paid that kind of money if they're not. NIL has the potential to be a cancer on the team if you don't handle it right, and if someone isn't getting paid and sees someone come in and does, who could blame them if they test their value on the open market either immediately, or in the future?

Last edited:

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I think you also have to keep in mind how Tamin, Omaha, Milan, Tre, Demarius and others feel about players coming in and getting paid that kind of money if they're not. NIL has the potential to be a cancer on the team if you don't handle it right, and if someone isn't getting paid and sees someone come in and does, who could blame them if they test their value on the open market either immediately, or in the future?
While that is true, there isn't a rule against current players adding to the NIL once they are in a program. It is more likely that a company will pay for appearances for ISU starters as opposed to the potential recruits.
Extreme example Catilyn Clark at EIU is an example of a player who will by-pass the WNBA due to endorsement opportunities. Perform and you'll get an opportunity.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
While that is true, there isn't a rule against current players adding to the NIL once they are in a program. It is more likely that a company will pay for appearances for ISU starters as opposed to the potential recruits.
Extreme example Catilyn Clark at EIU is an example of a player who will by-pass the WNBA due to endorsement opportunities. Perform and you'll get an opportunity.
Of course. My point is that if we have some really good players that aren't getting anything, or aren't getting as much as a recruit coming in might demand, you definitely don't want the new recruit getting more than the guys who have shown loyalty to the program (unless they are so dramatically higher in talent that it is a no brainer). Not sure how much control the program has over that though.

Reactions: CapnCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Of course. My point is that if we have some really good players that aren't getting anything, or aren't getting as much as a recruit coming in might demand, you definitely don't want the new recruit getting more than the guys who have shown loyalty to the program (unless they are so dramatically higher in talent that it is a no brainer). Not sure how much control the program has over that though.

That's when the coaching staff breaks out the Hickory Park gift cards and takes the whole team out and everybody's happy.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
1680545579891.png

As we sit here today, projected 1 spot above the 2022/23 finish before we fill the last 3 scholarships. Including at least 1 starter, probably two.

Based on the opening remarks of the Sunday night pod. This appears to be the goal for Otz.

Lipsey
Transfer G
Transfer G
Omaha
Tre King

Milan
Williams
BRE
Watson
Ward
Hamilton
Fish
Open/sit out/project transfer

As stated 100 times, Tre can guard at least 75% of CBB 5's but can only be guarded by somewhere around 1/2 of CBB 5's. BRE and Ward can split 20-30 minutes a piece depending on the night and matchup.

Guards, guards, we want guards!!!

Lipsey/Williams
Transfer CG/transfer G or Wing/Williams/Hamilton
Transfer G or Wing/transfer CG/Williams/Omaha/Watson
Omaha/Milan/Watson/Tre King/Fish
Tre/BRE/Ward

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

Good for him. Excited to see him play. But those multiple dunks shown above won't be near that easy in the big 12. During the MCD scrimmage, I saw him outrebounded by a lot of guys who got over and above him while he was trying to block out. Would think his best position could be the '3' still ,depending on his handle and shot. Will be interesting where he plays most in our offense. Love the defensive motor accolades.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
That's complete BS.

there is ZERO chance - ABSOLUTELY ZERO - that any coach ever, at any level, tells a 6'8" player who shoots 43% from 3 that they need to move on. That didn't happen

He either is looking to get paid or got sick of Tang’s schtick.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Good for him. Excited to see him play. But those multiple dunks shown above won't be near that easy in the big 12. During the MCD scrimmage, I saw him outrebounded by a lot of guys who got over and above him while he was trying to block out. Would think his best position could be the '3' still ,depending on his handle and shot. Will be interesting where he plays most in our offense. Love the defensive motor accolades.

Oh **** the scrimmage before a scrimmage? BUST ALERT

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron