Iowa Wesleyan closing its doors

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021

They have been on thin ice for a few years now but still too bad for the students and community.
On a positive note, people can stop paying their alumni dues.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Interesting that they tweeted out 3 days ago that fall registration is open.

Reactions: I@ST1

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

They have been on thin ice for a few years now but still too bad for the students and community.
On a positive note, people can stop paying their alumni dues.

Bloody hell, way to find the silver lining there.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
That sucks. My dad coached there in the 60s and a couple of my buddy's dad's played football and basketball there in the 60s. Sad for SE Iowa.

• Friendly
Reactions: mj4cy and StClone

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Bloody hell, way to find the silver lining there.
I remember years ago former NFL QB, Dave Kreig, being asked about his alma mater being closed and he said it least he didn't have to pay alumni dues. I thought that was funny and have been waiting years to use. It's the little thing in life that give me pleasure.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Every time my kids played JH/HS football in Mount Pleasant it blew mind the air raid was born there (I know likely not the same field but still).

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Many people don't realize that over the past three decades, when the state has dramatically cut funding to the 3 Regent universities, the state has managed to subsidize Iowa's PRIVATE colleges to the tune of $50 million per year in the form of the Iowa Tuition Grant.

Iowa has far too many private colleges for the size of its population, and our tax dollars have been propping up Iowa Wesleyan and all the rest of them while the legislature's funding cuts to the Regent universities have forced them to dramatically raise their tuition.

Last edited:

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Isn't it the Birthplace of the Air Raid offense
Yes.
Many people don't realize that over the past three decades, when the state has dramatically cut funding to the 3 Regent universities, the state has managed to subsidize Iowa's PRIVATE colleges to the tune of $50 million per year in the form of the Iowa Tuition Grant.

Iowa has far too many private colleges for the size of its population, and our tax dollars have been propping up Iowa Wesleyan and all the rest of them while their funding cuts to the Regent universities have forced them to dramatically raise their tuition.
Jumped the gun on this a couple years ago,then it came back. Nothing funny about this,I believe it will return. And Governor Reynolds really dropped the ball on this.

• Dislike
Reactions: GoldCy

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Other things going on there. Will survive no matter what happens.

aauummm

March is National Celery Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Speaking of closures, saw Spaghetti Works abruptly closed the other day.
Wish that I had known this before it closed so that I could have had one last dinner there! Same thing happened to me when Antlers closed.