306,000 alumni could turn the tide

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
If there as many bowl games in the 80s as now ISU would have gone to three and were close to a couple more winning seasons. Even in the 'good' decades there were some seriously bad seasons in there. The 90s was officially bottoming out.

What's happening imo is some are treating it like ISU just needs to raise more money like the other schools aren't doing the same that have always had a financial advantage.

If ISU was generally lower in their ability to keep up financially prior to all of this, how does that change compared to other schools doing the same thing now?
I'm not sure we're collectively in a better position now, if I understand your question correctly. Except maybe that we've grown attendance substantially in the last 15 years.

I think we collectively understand the consequences better after the last few years of realignment. Some of the historically bottom schools (and their fan bases) are getting wise. Some aren't.

We will never be first (obviously), but we could hope to do better than to be dropping down the bottom side of a widening gap (of haves and have nots).

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Yeah I'm not paying 300 dollars a year so a college kid can get a g wagon
Agreed. I just can’t do it. I tried, I really did. I was given free money to pass on due to volunteering, and in my mind, I went in thinking I was going to give the money to the NIL. I ended up giving the money to pediatric cancer research. I love college sports, but this NIL thing is garbage.

Reactions: michaelrr1

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Agreed. I just can’t do it. I tried, I really did. I was given free money to pass on due to volunteering, and in my mind, I went in thinking I was going to give the money to the NIL. I ended up giving the money to pediatric cancer research. I love college sports, but this NIL thing is garbage.
The NIL isn't garbage just because you, and I, don't want to give them our money. There are clearly people out there that do and they should be able to.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
(I say this tongue-and-cheek, so please dont take this as a personal attack)

Your user name is Tailg8er and post (frequently) on a website called CycloneFanatic, yet you get no personal satisfaction from Iowa State wins?

It sounds like you're buying season tickets; I think the OP was talking to the people that live out of state and possibly can't contribute through ticket sales.

Ha, don't worry, I've learned not to take anything posted here personally. Compared to many here, one might say I rarely post - but I get your point, and yeah I consider myself a big fan. I am a season ticket holder and do love me some tailgating in the fall.

Who said I get no personal satisfaction from ISU wins? I said I'd get no personal satisfaction giving money to student athletes who are already getting a free ride (and then some). I will always be a huge ISU fan regardless of how many Tyrese Hunter's leave or don't come here to begin with.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
That was just one example. Would you like a complete list of things I prefer to spend my money on? I'll happily give you one but the CF servers might not appreciate it.
Up to you. Buddy can you spare a dime?

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I’m going to take my $5 a month and dollar cost and invest it in a low cost index account as I work to pay off my high interest debt.

That’s what 95% of CF prior to WeWill would have said anyway. Now look at us. Funding Saturday nights at the disco.
Great. Give what you can afford

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Ha, don't worry, I've learned not to take anything posted here personally. Compared to many here, one might say I rarely post - but I get your point, and yeah I consider myself a big fan. I am a season ticket holder and do love me some tailgating in the fall.

Who said I get no personal satisfaction from ISU wins? I said I'd get no personal satisfaction giving money to student athletes who are already getting a free ride (and then some). I will always be a huge ISU fan regardless of how many Tyrese Hunter's leave or don't come here to begin with.
We need loyal fans. Will be great for you if everyone else gives.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
We need loyal fans. Will be great for you if everyone else gives.
This is what many are complaining of, peer pressure in this discussion is BS, and if it continues, then I will stop the little I have done for NIL. We're all fans.

Reactions: BCClone

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
I would gladly help isaiih Lee in his family situation, but I can't write a check to Isaiah Lee can I. That's not how the NIL works! This to me and many is a lot of the problem.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
This is what many are complaining of, peer pressure in this discussion is BS, and if it continues, then I will stop the little I have done for NIL. We're all fans.
You be you