NIL in Women’s Basketball

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I think we will see Catln Clark for two more years after this year. WNBA players get a 150-200k per year. I think the highest paid 250-300. Catlin could probably double that in College. If they win the national title she could probably get closer to 1M.
I wouldn't be shocked if some SEC or UConn type school tries to buy her covid year out or something...

Imagine if Clark looked like the Miami Twins. She would probably be making millions.
Kind of a sad world we live in, honestly.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I think we will see Catln Clark for two more years after this year. WNBA players get a 150-200k per year. I think the highest paid 250-300. Catlin could probably double that in College. If they win the national title she could probably get closer to 1M.
I wouldn't be shocked if some SEC or UConn type school tries to buy her covid year out or something...

Imagine if Clark looked like the Miami Twins. She would probably be making millions.

The only reason I have heard for CC to go to the WNBA after next year would be to be on the Olympic Team - I think that is exclusively WNBA players for the USA. If Dawn Staley (South Carolina and USA Basketball Head Coach) promised her a spot on the team that would be tough to turn down.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The only reason I have heard for CC to go to the WNBA after next year would be to be on the Olympic Team - I think that is exclusively WNBA players for the USA. If Dawn Staley (South Carolina and USA Basketball Head Coach) promised her a spot on the team that would be tough to turn down.
Meh. She's young and is going to have plenty of opportunities for international play in the future. She's a lock for the '28 and '32 Olympic Teams with a shot at '36 assuming she avoids major injury.

Reactions: acoustimac

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

Not BB, but an interesting read.

"LSU gymnast Olivia Dunne, who has 11 million TikTok and Instagram followers, was in the headlines earlier this year when a swarm of boys and young men showed up at a meet in Utah. They at one point formed a gauntlet outside the arena. Dunne later asked her fans to show respect for her and her teammates, and the incident prompted LSU to assign security personnel to travel with the team."

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

This. Why go WNBA when you can double (or more) their pay by staying free in college. Incredible marketing of CC over the next week leading up to the FF. She only gets a fraction of that in the WNBA. Hell, I'd stay right where she is at for the next 2 years...

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
This. Why go WNBA when you can double (or more) their pay by staying free in college. Incredible marketing of CC over the next week leading up to the FF. She only gets a fraction of that in the WNBA. Hell, I'd stay right where she is at for the next 2 years...
CC should consult with JorBo on how to get several more years in college.

• Haha
Reactions: wxman1 and dafarmer

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
And she will have thousands more people cheering for her. The WNBA is not like college and she will have to up her game to get the playing time she now gets,

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Will Caitlyn Clark the most famous ACTIVE female athlete in the U.S. within 1-2 years? She's probably not far off now. I think her only competition would be soccer players, or maybe a track star, but they only really have a platform once every 4 years. Coco Gauff would be another possibility, but if she doesn't win a grand slam in the next 2-3 years her luster will start to wear off.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Will Caitlyn Clark the most famous ACTIVE female athlete in the U.S. within 1-2 years? She's probably not far off now. I think her only competition would be soccer players, or maybe a track star, but they only really have a platform once every 4 years. Coco Gauff would be another possibility, but if she doesn't win a grand slam in the next 2-3 years her luster will start to wear off.
Cher, Madonna, Caitlyn...

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
No where close to someone like Alex Morgan.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
If Cavinder twins were not blond and cute, the money hole would dry up. Face it, sec sells.
Sorry, I'm a few generations above this kind of stuff. Obviously they are attractive and they are probably a fun follow but I'm curious if they are "behaved" on their social media or are they playing the whole sex sells gig, look at me I'm blonde wild and ready type stuff?

In other words are they selling their morals for the instant cash?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Sorry, I'm a few generations above this kind of stuff. Obviously they are attractive and they are probably a fun follow but I'm curious if they are "behaved" on their social media or are they playing the whole sex sells gig, look at me I'm blonde wild and ready type stuff?

Grandpa, stop.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

From what little I've seen of them on TikTok, no. It seems to me that most of their stuff is them in a full blown basketball uniform dancing. It really seems pretty damn innocent and it's crazy they've gotten what they've gotten.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
From what little I've seen of them on TikTok, no. It seems to me that most of their stuff is them in a full blown basketball uniform dancing. It really seems pretty damn innocent and it's crazy they've gotten what they've gotten.
Cool. Thank you. That's what I wanted to know. I took a grandpa comment and even a dumb post for my question earlier. I'm glad and generally thankful you gave me the answer I was hoping to hear. What I was afraid of was in this day and age of Women's Sports I was hoping their social media actually promoted their sport and their school.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Cool. Thank you. That's what I wanted to know. I took a grandpa comment and even a dumb post for my question earlier. I'm glad and generally thankful you gave me the answer I was hoping to hear. What I was afraid of was in this day and age of Women's Sports I was hoping their social media actually promoted their sport and their school.

You were preemptively shaming them for making money off their bodies without knowing whether or not they actually did that. Which is why I dumbed you.

And even if they did do it who cares. Many women use their bodies to make good money that doesn't make then immoral.