306,000 alumni could turn the tide

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
How about Isaiah Lee and helping him with expenses to raise his little sister? There are many other stories, but if you're looking for reasons not to give you won't focus on these. I agree with you.
There are better mechanisms to support children in need than hoping your relative is in the top .01% of a sport. Not that isaiah lee's story isn't a compelling one.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
There are better mechanisms to support children in need than hoping your relative is in the top .01% of a sport. Not that isaiah lee's story isn't a compelling one.
What a bizarre comment. I gave because he needed help. Everyone knows there are other "mechanisms" to support the needy.

What does the "top .01%" have to do with anything in this situation?

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
Doesn’t really matter does it? There are a million reasons not to and I’m not really sure what the reasons are to donate? Did this help us last year in football? What about basketball this year? Where’s the data on the effects of this kind of charity?
The reasons are:
* Making the "next step" in basketball by being able to bring in, and maintaining, the talent needed for a final 4 team.
* Having any semblance of a plan to get to a .500 win percentage team some day in football (while still participating in a P5 conference)
* To stay in the discussion in wrestling and women's basketball.
* To keep the good coaches (in all sports) that we happen to lure in.
* To give our kids the same, or better, college experience we had while going there.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
A large majority of our Alumni have not donated to the school or athletic department or the collective. Tbh I kinda get it because if you aren’t invested in sports beyond a causal level there is pretty much no value proposition in donating. So I wouldn’t even expect to get ever 5% donating regularly. ISU seems to have a either casual fan base (doesn’t seem likely with how bad we are historically) or an exceptionally cheap one.

Edit: I should say I donate only at the lowest level to buy tickets, so I am not excluded from being exceptionally cheap.

Or we like to spend our money on things that directly benefit us

Reactions: pourcyne

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Let WeWill sell beer at the games. WeWill get drunk on 10 dollar Busch Lites.
That's actually a good idea. For football games just have a beer tent open for tailgating; that would be a money maker.

Reactions: dafarmer

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The reasons are:
* Making the "next step" in basketball by being able to bring in, and maintaining, the talent needed for a final 4 team.
* Having any semblance of a plan to get to a .500 win percentage team some day in football (while still participating in a P5 conference)
* To stay in the discussion in wrestling and women's basketball.
* To keep the good coaches (in all sports) that we happen to lure in.
* To give our kids the same, or better, college experience we had while going there.

What does this have to do with NIL? ISU wasn't good last year but was about 5 plays away from 7-5 and 'someday' has been the last several years with pretty decent football teams.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's actually a good idea. For football games just have a beer tent open for tailgating; that would be a money maker.

Bags tourneys.

Folks can enter and the proceeds go to NIL.

You want to join up and organize the next 'stripe' home game? I think we've got it all pretty much figured out.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Personal satisfaction......

What other benefit could there be to entice someone to $25 to $100 a year when they are not giving?

I don't know that's why I asked since you said "There are huge benefits to giving that benefit the person who gives" in reply to my message that some of us prefer to spend our money on things that directly benefit us.

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
Or we like to spend our money on things that directly benefit us
It seems in the world of college athletics that is the same as being cheap. I don't know how other fanbases justify spending money on getting so little in return. Like Old Miss' collective somehow gets 10 million donated, yet they are in the poorest state in the nation by gdp per capita by a large margin.