TJ’s Weaknesses Exposed Tonight

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Are you sure he is not saving the really good stuff for the tournaments?

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
ONce there was this guy posting on here who's avatar was the kid from the movie Mask. Hawkeye troll....but the avatar always kinda made me laugh. Mean, I know.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Okay, that’s one game. What about the others?

I don’t see why you guys take these things so personally. TJ is an excellent coach but he’s not perfect. I’m just trying to have a discussion here, and you respond like I insulted your mother.
I think overall, TJ has been just okay with final play sets but those are so hit or miss. At the end of the day, your guys have to make plays off of what you draw up. If anything, I wish we wouldn't run a set and just ran a ball screen to play off of, hopefully letting Lipsey go down hill.

I can't remember if it was the TTU or OSU game, but we were running an action for Grill to hit the game winning shot and Lipsey's defender over helped on the away double screen and Lipsey could've driven in for a semi-contested layup for the tie/win. He didn't and we got a bad look instead.

In last night's game we have no idea what the play was going to be because of the charge (flop) taken. It's easy to highlight the negatives but we've ran good actions in other close games (Texas & KSU) for instance towards the end of the game.

Reactions: stateofmind

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I don’t see why you guys take these things so personally. TJ is an excellent coach but he’s not perfect. I’m just trying to have a discussion here, and you respond like I insulted your mother.

In the others ISU was also generally covered up.

You have to have the guy to go to that get the look or bucket or open things up and that's not ISU's make up right now. All the opponent has to do is pressure the perimeter and any plan is dissolved pretty quickly. It doesn't help that ISU trips over themselves in the moment and that's like coaching a kicker; only so much you can do.

It's not personal or insulting, it's just a little too similar to 'why doesn't ISU just run a WR screen like Oklahoma does!?' during football season.

Reactions: stateofmind

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think overall, TJ has been just okay with final play sets but those are so hit or miss. At the end of the day, your guys have to make plays off of what you draw up. If anything, I wish we wouldn't run a set and just ran a ball screen to play off of, hopefully letting Lipsey go down hill.

I can't remember if it was the TTU or OSU game, but we were running an action for Grill to hit the game winning shot and Lipsey's defender over helped on the away double screen and Lipsey could've driven in for a semi-contested layup for the tie/win. He didn't and we got a bad look instead.

In last night's game we have no idea what the play was going to be because of the charge (flop) taken. It's easy to highlight the negatives but we've ran good actions in other close games (Texas & KSU) for instance towards the end of the game.

Lipsey kind of putting his head down and looking to get to the bucket lately makes me wonder if he can emerge into the role.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Lipsey kind of putting his head down and looking to get to the bucket lately makes me wonder if he can emerge into the role.
It absolutely sucks that last night ended in a loss, but I think that was our best road game we've played so far. We also were forced to use a variety of lineups due to the circumstances and many different players made plays and stepped up when they needed to.

And to your point, Lipsey grew up a lot last night.

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN

End of game is tough. Especially in a above average defensive league. Teams are athletic enough to match up, switch all screens and spoil last second plays. It really exposes our inability to break down defenders 1v1 from multiple guard positions. Hell, GK's 3 to win earlier in the season was a tough, tough shot. Not really what you draw up, right?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
So, what are everyone’s thoughts on TJs late game management?

Seems to me most of our late game plays are turnovers or last-second garbage shots (which besides @TCU, have not gone in). I don’t remember the last game where he successfully drew up a play that achieved its goal.
If he would have told Grill to make the layup at the end it would have been ideal. Not sure what TJ was thinking there.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It absolutely sucks that last night ended in a loss, but I think that was our best road game we've played so far. We also were forced to use a variety of lineups due to the circumstances and many different players made plays and stepped up when they needed to.

And to your point, Lipsey grew up a lot last night.

They were down 15 at one point in the first half and not letting it unravel was a big deal considering how things have gone previously.

Saturday they can't just assume they'll fix things like last week though. They'll need to play very well.

This next month might be really fun or somewhat gut wrenching from a fan's perspective. Probably somewhere in between like every week prior, haha.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They were down 15 at one point in the first half and not letting it unravel was a big deal considering how things have gone previously.

Saturday they can't just assume they'll fix things like last week though. They'll need to play very well.

This next month might be really fun or somewhat gut wrenching from a fan's perspective. Probably somewhere in between like every week prior, haha.
Yeah I don't think this team is one that's going to lose focus. We need to remember what happened at OSU. Them losing Avery Anderson is a huge loss for them and we need to take advantage of that.

CycloneJoe6

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2012
Iowa
Yeah I don't think this team is one that's going to lose focus. We need to remember what happened at OSU. Them losing Avery Anderson is a huge loss for them and we need to take advantage of that.
This and fingers crossed Miles is out for TCU next Wednesday

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I don't think a coach drawing up a game winning play happens as much as you seem to think it does.

NILversusCFL

Dec 1, 2022
I don't mind when Jaz hacks a guy 20 feet from the bucket. It is the 30-80 foot range that the hacks bother me.

And Joe T , stop falling down to make it look like you were pushed. Flopper !!!!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
End of game is tough. Especially in a above average defensive league. Teams are athletic enough to match up, switch all screens and spoil last second plays. It really exposes our inability to break down defenders 1v1 from multiple guard positions. Hell, GK's 3 to win earlier in the season was a tough, tough shot. Not really what you draw up, right?

And it’s basically a free for all because the refs aren’t going to blow the same way they have the rest of the game.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I'm all in on TJ but we do need to start asking some questions on why we are constantly on the wrong end of these one-posession road games.

We have 1 legitimate road win where I thought we controlled them the entire game. The TCU went exactly like the other 4 league losses only we got lucky and got bailed out by Gabe at the end.

So thats 5 out of 6 league road games where we essentially are blowing it at the end.

We have 3 more chances so we'll see if this trend continues.