IGHSAU State Wrestling

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Happy Arends won 190 but kinda sucks to see it end on a 30 second ride out.
She is close to the same age as one of my kids. I've watched her wrestle since they were little kids. Pretty neat to see her win it, we were cheering her on. If I remember right, she lost to that same girl last year in the championship, in OT.

Even better when she tackled her coach afterward. We played that back a few times.

Reactions: HitItHard58

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Not to mention, and I’ll say this every chance I get, the IGHSAU absolutely laps the boys association when it comes to competence. So they’ll get this figured out

I don't know what will happen but just saw a story about next year with Fales on WHO. The IGHSAU does not have plans to move it to a bigger venue but they talked about a lot more girls getting involved, which is great for the sport If that is the case move it to a bigger venue or spread it out a couple more days to let everyone that wants to attend at least get a seat and not have SRO.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I don't know what will happen but just saw a story about next year with Fales on WHO. The IGHSAU does not have plans to move it to a bigger venue but they talked about a lot more girls getting involved, which is great for the sport If that is the case move it to a bigger venue or spread it out a couple more days to let everyone that wants to attend at least get a seat and not have SRO.

They've done this one time. Now there's actual data and notes on what changes/improvements need to be made -- and a whole year to figure it out. Not quite time to panic.

Reactions: NWICY

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
If numbers pop they could go to 2 classes and have sessions also. Go to 16 people brackets or 24 if it grows more.

Looking at the schools of the place-winners, I could see the first change being from 1-class/32-person to 2-class/16. Keeps the same total number (448) and hopefully entices more turnout in smaller schools, which would cut down on the need for the large co-op programs that draw from 5-6 schools.

Reactions: BCClone

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
They were running on 8 mats, which was good for the tournament size. Xtream seats around 5,000. I would estimate that they would want about 2X that much, or around 10,000 seats. Unidome would seat enough. I just don't know if the seating would be set too far back from the mats for a good view? Actually I kept thinking that Hilton would have been a good venue for it.

I watched a couple of matches today online, and I thought the video streaming and commentary were excellent.
They already need to split into classes in my opinion. Boys have three classes. Girls had just the one. Split all the sessions apart and the seating needs get solved

Reactions: cyputz

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They already need to split into classes in my opinion. Boys have three classes. Girls had just the one. Split all the sessions apart and the seating needs get solved
Boys also had 16 man brackets before this year and a lot more wrestlers out.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Looking at the schools of the place-winners, I could see the first change being from 1-class/32-person to 2-class/16. Keeps the same total number (448) and hopefully entices more turnout in smaller schools, which would cut down on the need for the large co-op programs that draw from 5-6 schools.

As the sport grows that may happen, but right now do the smaller schools have the resources to support a full time girls wrestling program? I know swimming has a lot of shared programs.

Glad to see the event was a huge success though.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
As the sport grows that may happen, but right now do the smaller schools have the resources to support a full time girls wrestling program? I know swimming has a lot of shared programs.

There were just short of 200 programs offering wrestling this year.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Local school which is a big wrestling school did not and didn’t have a sharing partner either. My alma joined with like 4 other schools to make one team. I know some kids were playing basketball and also wrestling. The more the girls improve, the less you will see that I believe.

Help Support Us

Become a patron