***#12 Iowa State vs. Baylor (Saturday, 5:00)***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I can't believe any coach wants his PG to dribble the ball all over the floor for 75% of their possession time. It can be a killer. When she finally does give the ball up then whoever gets it is forced to go into a panic/quick scoring mode and that generally doesn't end in a good clean shot.
Totally agree but Bill lets it happen every game

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Good night for Diew to have a career game with everyone else other than Joens getting shutdown.
Seemed like Diew was the only one keeping us in the game and we kind of went away from her late. How many shots did she get In the last five minutes?

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
Point guard is very good and knows the game but needs to pass more and dribble a lot less in my opinion, but maybe thats what Bill wants
Point guard needs to have a 2nd gear so she can beat you off the dribble, that’s part of the problem, Ryan doesn’t have that burst. Her 3 point shot is slow developing so she can’t hurt you that way either. She doesn’t have a step back. She’s a facilitator that needs the other 4 players to create action. They don’t, we stand around and watch her dribble. JMO

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We have just lost back to back games to unranked teams. It's possible, imo we honestly don't deserve to be.

We are not dropping from #12 to NR in a week. Probably drop to #20 or so. An 8 spot drop would be pretty hefty. Lot's of parity in the #15 to #25 spots and by "parity" I mean mediocrity.

If we auger in twice next week than we are on the Top 25 bubble, probably outside of it. Obviously not a good start to a tough 4 game stretch.

I do agree that our title shot is now sort of a long shot relying on others to have losing streaks. Not impossible, OU and Texas are not top 10 level teams, but seems unlikely. Think we still could win one again some day but it will be in a much diminished league and won't be the same as getting one over Kim, Texas and the Sooners.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
We are not dropping from #12 to NR in a week. Probably drop to #20 or so. An 8 spot drop would be pretty hefty. Lot's of parity in the #15 to #25 spots and by "parity" I mean mediocrity.

If we auger in twice next week than we are on the Top 25 bubble, probably outside of it. Obviously not a good start to a tough 4 game stretch.

I do agree that our title shot is now sort of a long shot relying on others to have losing streaks. Not impossible, OU and Texas are not top 10 level teams, but seems unlikely. Think we still could win one again some day but it will be in a much diminished league and won't be the same as getting one over Kim, Texas and the Sooners.

Fair point. I forgot we got back up to 12. I still thought we were around 18.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Point guard needs to have a 2nd gear so she can beat you off the dribble, that’s part of the problem, Ryan doesn’t have that burst. Her 3 point shot is slow developing so she can’t hurt you that way either. She doesn’t have a step back. She’s a facilitator that needs the other 4 players to create action. They don’t, we stand around and watch her dribble. JMO
Sometimes players are actually open when all that non productive dribble is happening

• Agree
Reactions: OKClones

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This thread is pretty negative for a game in which making just a few shots would have resulted in a win.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Unable to watch live so I pulled up the game on my ESPN+ subscription. It started several minutes into the first quarter and the cherry on top, it came up with "your event has ended" before the game was actually over. :mad:

I guess they were telling me we had no chance to win so don't bother watching the end? :jimlad:

• Haha
Reactions: acoustimac

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
If we had a bench I’m sure things would look different. Losing two posts and having M&M disappear into some weird funk has weakened this team severely. Jordao is the biggest hit there.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If we had a bench I’m sure things would look different. Losing two posts and having M&M disappear into some weird funk has weakened this team severely. Jordao is the biggest hit there.

Maybe getting to far out a head but not sure guard looks much different next year. We return two seniors, a sophomore as starters and add two freshman. That will be three starters and two potential bench guards. Our high ranking for the class comes from the bigs and not the guards so my expectations are TBD. Not an Iowan so haven't seen or heard much of the two Iowa gals.

Maybe there is a mid-major guard that would want a 5th year as backup. Didn't seem like much when Iowa's only add from last year was Molly Davis from Central Michigan but it gave them a solid bench player that could handle the ball and play some defense.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I googled to see who she was and first thing to come up was an unfortunate story surrounding something she said.

I read about this a while back and didn't give it much gravity. As to the incident, I am not going to hold much against her. I think I see where she went wrong...maybe she needs a better class of friends and classmates.

The secret lives of many here would hold some of the same high school stupidity, though that doesn't make it right. She apologized and doubt this is indicative of anything in her nature. Except, she will learn from her mistakes-which is a good quality.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I read about this a while back and didn't give it much gravity. As to the incident, I am not going to hold much against her. I think I see where she went wrong...maybe she needs a better class of friends and classmates.

The secret lives of many here would hold some of the same high school stupidity, though that doesn't make it right. She apologized and doubt this is indicative of anything in her nature. Except, she will learn from her mistakes-which is a good quality.
I, for one, am glad they didn’t have video phones back in high school or college!