Yet Another Boneheaded Move by the Iowa AD

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
They over played their hand for sure. I don't think they expected Iowa to say anything and just take the high road, but I think they tried too hard to make Iowa look bad and they got burned in the end.

Iowa is probably still pissed about 2010.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
I don't blame that the U of I cancelled the tickets I just don't believe for a second they "just" found out about it. However, I expect nothing less from Barta.

A refresher in case you think he's not terrible at his job

Barta is absolutely terrible at his job. The only defense I see of him is that he fundraises well but give me a break. I could fundraise well. Getting fans of a team to donate money to that team isn't exactly some incredible accomplishment.

Reactions: mj4cy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Looks a bit messy, given the alleged fraudulent application for the tickets. Of course, anyone can sue anyone for anything...but that doesn't mean they will win.

Sad only because I like to see Iowa lose

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Wish nothing but equal treatment for all U of I students and student athletes by the rest of the big 10.

Reactions: qwerty

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Iowa folks, want to get even, pull a reverse on Illinois. Have 200 fans buy a block at their arena.

Okay, I know it won't happen because you can't get 20 people to buy a block at your own place. It's almost illegal.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Iowa could have handled this better. When they noticed the tickets had been bought at the non-profit rate by the students, they could have said, "you need to pay the difference on the tickets" instead of just invalidating them.

Given how the Orange Crush operates (raising money for the Boys & Girls Club), I feel like how they ordered the tickets was a bit of a stretch, but not really by that much. Still kind of shady, but didn't deserve to have the tickets completely canceled.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Pretty dumb of the Illinois students to impersonate a charity. Although it does sound like they did some charity work and then ordered the tickets? Still probably can't say that you are that charity though.

Reactions: VeloClone

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Iowa could have handled this better. When they noticed the tickets had been bought at the non-profit rate by the students, they could have said, "you need to pay the difference on the tickets" instead of just invalidating them.

Given how the Orange Crush operates (raising money for the Boys & Girls Club), I feel like how they ordered the tickets was a bit of a stretch, but not really by that much. Still kind of shady, but didn't deserve to have the tickets completely canceled.
Also, you would think some sort of documentation or something needs to be shown in order to buy at the non-profit rate right?

Reactions: MJ29 and BCClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's crazy how bad Iowa is at their PR.. Like this situation could've been handled where all the light was on the Krush impersonating a non-profit but Iowa didn't put out a statement first. They should've had that statement put out right when they cancelled the tickets and it would've been perfect.

Reactions: BCClone

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Yeah... Orange Crush looks really bad here.... from their PR: "refused to face the consequences of the mistake THEY MADE in selling tickets to a billing address in Champaign, Illinois."

What is the mistake made by Iowa? Please be specific OK.
"Selling tickets to a billing address in Champaign", verses a fundraiser for the B&G Club (or any org that accepts donations for kids) is a big distinction.
Following the "Selling tickets to a billing address in Champaign" sentence, they mention the spirit of competition and rivalry.
No mention of the B&G Club, nor a fundraiser for anyone in the PR by OK.

Maybe Iowa knew about this for some time, and choose now to remove them, or they looked at the tickets purchased through their special services for their next upcoming home game, and saw a chance to honor/bring attention to/welcome the B&G Club of Champaign and thank them for their visit to IC. So they needed a contact person.

Really, this is a facepalm for OK

Last edited:

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
It's crazy how bad Iowa is at their PR.. Like this situation could've been handled where all the light was on the Krush impersonating a non-profit but Iowa didn't put out a statement first. They should've had that statement put out right when they cancelled the tickets and it would've been perfect.
I think Iowa wanted to take the high road and not burn the Krush. But then the Krush tried to gaslight Iowa on social media and the AD had to release a statement about it. The Krush burned themselves on this one. Barta has messed a lot of things up, but he didn't do anything wrong in this instance.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I disagree.... not bringing attention to it and hoping OC would lick their self inflicted wounds, would have been best.... However, OC choose to open their mouth and not show one iota of a good faith purchase, nor a purchase what was factual.

OC got what they deserved here.

trevn

Jerome Tang Surveillance Team
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
1. The Orange Krush is dumb for impersonating the Boys and Girls Club to get discounted tickets. Raise money and buy them without the discount. Can't be that hard to find tickets at Carver.

2. The Krush is even dumber for going public with this. Of course Iowa will respond.

3. Iowa is historically bad at anything related to PR. To get destroyed by Iowa in a PR battle is one of the biggest upsets of the century.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think Iowa wanted to take the high road and not burn the Krush. But then the Krush tried to gaslight Iowa on social media and the AD had to release a statement about it. The Krush burned themselves on this one. Barta has messed a lot of things up, but he didn't do anything wrond in this instance.
If Iowa didn't want to burn the Krush, why did they wait until a couple days before the game to cancel it?