Anyone got away trip plans for the Big12 newcomers?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think BYU would be fun in a Mormon kinda way. Would probably add a stop in Moab in there too

I drove through BYU, Utah and Utah St campus/stadiums on my last trip up to Grand Teton National Park.

If anybody remotely enjoys outdoor life it's top road trip in new Big 12. There are obviously great places to hike, camp, climb and backpack all over Utah, but you don't even have to go far from BYU campus to be in some very beautiful areas. There were what looked like 1000s of college kids tubing down beautiful mountain river almost right next to campus.

It's actually not a bad drive up to Yellowstone/Grand Teton. Probably similar distance as the Utah national parks. In early fall I'd prefer Yellowstone/Teton. In later fall I'd prefer Zion/Bryce Canyon/Moab areas.

BYU campus itself isn't any different than any other and the stadium seems appropriately Big 12 big time.

Utah stadium same way, but campus and stadium are more in the middle of town where BYU seemed closer to mountains. Utah St town and campus and stadium were nicer than I'd have guessed too.

Reactions: NWICY and bozclone

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Des Moines doesn't have the direct anymore unfortunately. I flew it a few times for work which was awesome. BYU's stadium is pretty sweet from the outside. Hoping to make that trip

dang really that stinks. I connected there a few times on Delta but I guess that's been 3+ years

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
On TV it looked very small, but I read it's about a 40,000 seat venue which is in the ballpark of our Cyclone Stadium days.

Only their fans look like they're on top of the action. At least it looked like that on screen. Like a hall closet
I don’t recall it feeling small, but it was many years ago. It was an older stadium. One end zone has almost no seating if I remember correctly. The unique thing was the location. Imagine Jack Trice on central campus and the lower level of seats all below ground level. You can see many of the campus buildings if you have upper level seats. I have no idea how the tailgate. No big parking lots that I remember. Also, when I went to a basketball game there a few years ago we walked by the football stadium and it looked like students hung out in the stadium some during the day. A few were playing catch with a football that day and others were just sitting in the bleachers.

UC.JPG

Last edited:

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Not newcomer, but would like to hit Lubbock for a football or basketball game.
My experience there in '21 was not great. If you must go, buy from the ISU allotment, strength in numbers kind of thing. When the Clones were coming back, right after the student section got kicked out/relocated, I became a little uneasy for my family's safety. Like my Spidey-sense kicked in. Similar to being a visitor in Iowa City. The had tons of merch for sale, including one specific to ISU, "I ain't skerd of no turnado!" or something like that. I should have bought one as a funny souvenir.

My wife's masters is from TTU, so she gets all the alumni offers and we took in a bball game the night before. The visiting team was outmatched, the arena just seemed dead. I got nachos, they were the same old nachos you get everywhere, expected better in Lubbock...

Reactions: cyclonpediaJoe

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
I'm planning on Provo. If I can swing two away games, I'll probably go to Waco to check that off the list. Definitely flying to Utah, would drive to Texas (again). We'd miss Bucee's if we flew!

I've hit KU, K-State, oSu, OU, TX, and TTU over the last 7-8 years, intend to visit every B12 stadium at some point. Have also seen the Clones play in Lincoln and Iowa City a few times each. No need to go back to either. I'd go back to any of the B12s, except Lubbock. Norman may have been the best visiting fan exp, Austin and Manhattan close behind. When the OU band played Fights! to welcome the visitors from Ames, someone near us was cutting up onions, I swear! I know I wasn't bawling like a 3 yr old w/ a skinned knee...

Reactions: crs8975

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
In Scottsdale AZ, was wanting to go to the BYU game, quick and cheap flight to Provo from here, but not so sure I want to go anymore with it being in the middle of November and the possibility of it being cold.

We will see.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Right now the plan is for a group of 8 of us to go to Cincinnati. We knocked out OU and UT the past 2 years and went to KSU, Iowa and Neb. We are trying to hit all the schools at some point.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Huh....

Having lived in Utah from 04-07, I experienced some of the oddities first hand. Eye opening for sure.

Didn’t realize that I made several Smokey and the Bandit runs while I was there!

Provo is beautiful (as is Utah in general).

In November you may be able to ski (if that is your thing).

If you go and want to take the scenic route go via I-70 and then head north. One of the most scenic drives through Colorado and eastern / south central Utah.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Not newcomer, but would like to hit Lubbock for a football or basketball game.
That's been on my list for a while but it's a long way to no where to get to Lubbock. Flying seems pricey whenever I've checked 924 miles from Ames to Lubbock if you drive it so basically a day each way. One of these yrs I'll do it anyway.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
The Cincinnati stadium is crammed into the middle of the campus with buildings all around. I was surprised they say the capacity is 40000. The Bengals stadium (65000) is fairly close to the campus.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Cincinnati or BYU. Maybe both but unlikely since I’ll need to coordinate with my Europe customer trips and being home.