*** Official #13 IOWA STATE vs Texas Tech Game(Day) Thread ***

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
You may have claimed to have been ready to move on from him, but your urge to defend him from any form criticism told me otherwise.

I have specifically written, even in defense of him, that he was not above criticism.

And no, I'm not going to link it for you. When I'm in front of my laptop (as opposed to being on my phone), I'll DM you with a link.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Checked the score and we were up 21 and Fell asleep. I have a large degree of shock right now. What in the **** happened?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
That was bad. Just a complete meltdown on defense and offense. I don’t know if the big lead led them to mentally relax or what. But we know one thing, press ISUs guards and they can’t take it.
And on offense they just weren’t running anything good late.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Refs were fine, we didn't attack the paint, and we do this thing where we just hack people at times for no reason. Can't do that on the road, almost all of them were fouls. The game was being called a certain way, and we did nothing to adjust.
Totally agree. They were forcing the issue. Driving into the paint or getting inside and drawing fouls. ISU was settling for a lot of perimeter shots.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Offensive flow and ball movement were so good in the first half. We have to have an offensive counter in the 2nd half when its inevitable the defensive intensity and aggressiveness is going to pick up. The tentativeness of out ball handlers and need to force up bad shots was extremely disappointing.
I think it’s because they just aren’t great ball handlers

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Lipsey had a really, really tough night. I thought more than the turnovers what was killing us by the end was that he was doing whatever Tech's defense wanted him to do. This resulted in us having not really done anything with about 10 seconds left on the shot clock, when the ball would inevitably rotate to Holmes and get stuck with him. He was not in the mood to pass too much tonight.

Really frustrating game and I think we can all see the limitations on the team now. Our PG play is pretty much not very good and only two guys can handle the ball. Gabe and Grill do not want to handle the ball if they can avoid it. Osun can't play defense well if we switch everything.

But every team has limitations and problems--they feel more urgent and obvious when it is your own team. It will be up to the coaches in the 2nd half of the season to figure out solutions to these problems and get us ready for March.
Yeah he looked like a Freshman out there.

JDugan

Dec 1, 2022
Inexcusable loss. The officiating 100% is the only reason the game got close. The refs were clearly loving it and could tell by how animated they were on their calls. But after about the 5 minute mark that was all on us. There were several possessions that all we needed to do was hold the ball for 30 second and take a shot clock violation and would've had a better chance of winning
10 turnovers in 5 min had nothing to do with it? Panicked and choked the game away.

JDugan

Dec 1, 2022
Lipsey had a really, really tough night. I thought more than the turnovers what was killing us by the end was that he was doing whatever Tech's defense wanted him to do. This resulted in us having not really done anything with about 10 seconds left on the shot clock, when the ball would inevitably rotate to Holmes and get stuck with him. He was not in the mood to pass too much tonight.

Really frustrating game and I think we can all see the limitations on the team now. Our PG play is pretty much not very good and only two guys can handle the ball. Gabe and Grill do not want to handle the ball if they can avoid it. Osun can't play defense well if we switch everything.

But every team has limitations and problems--they feel more urgent and obvious when it is your own team. It will be up to the coaches in the 2nd half of the season to figure out solutions to these problems and get us ready for March.
He panicked for a 5-7 min stretch. Not good needs to learn from this watch the tape. Nobody will guard him from this point on until he proves he can make a 15ft shot.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
We blew a 20 point lead with 13 minutes left and Grill actually playing and going off???? You've got to be ****** kidding me!!!

I knew it!!!!!! Happens every year down there. Knew we'd lose to some scrub team. Kiss Des Moines and any Big 12 hopes goodbye. None of these other teams will lose down there or in Stillwater.

What a ****show. TJ should be ashamed.

• Dumb
Reactions: peatyscotch

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I couldn't stomach posting any reaction last night. Very disappointing. Just think how the players and coaches must feel.

I hope Grill didn't suffer a setback. Reaching for that pass over his head late in the game looked a lot like how he originally injured his back.

How they respond to this loss will demonstrate just how tough this team is. The coaching staff has some work to do. Season can go either way. Hopeful they will bounce back with a great performance Saturday.

JDugan

Dec 1, 2022
Conspiracy theories aside the real problem coming out of this game is that anyone who doesn't press ISU is stupid, that's more than just a fluke now. No one is going to guard Lipsey, they were able to completely shut down our points in the paint with Lipsey's defender just looking to help. The last part is beyond my bball knowledge, but being unable to stop that switch and ISO for 15 mins is all kinds of terrifying with the much better teams and coaches coming up.
Amazing how fast fans can turn on their team. Need to learn from this game and regroup. Lipsey looked like a freshman who panicked. We’ll see if Otz can coach or not. Lipsey should never be guarded until he proves he can hit a 15ft shot. Need to learn how to handle pressure it’s the formula against the backcourt.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I know it is par for the thread to claim the sky is falling, but you got to think TJ will have them working HARD on press break this week so we DON'T see another stretch like last night. Sure teams will try to replicate that, but I don't think we could duplicate that stretch again. I posted above, we averaged one foul, one turnover and one point per minute for the last 12 minutes of regulation. Yes, conference title probably won't happen, but we will still end 10-8 or 11-7 and be a top 5 seed in NCAA.

Reactions: NWICY and CyNews

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Was just doing the math. I agree that 8 wins in this league likely means we are in but that also means our record overall would be 17-15 with a possibility of 17-16 with a first game loss in KC. Not saying we wouldn’t get in but I really don’t want to find out.

I get 8 out of a prediction maybe a month ago that had ISU at 8-10 in conference and in. That might have changed with what other teams have done.

I think 4 wins right now will be really hard to drag themselves through unless they can erase last night from the collective mind. That was a broken spirit type of game last night.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron