49ers - Brock Purdy - Still and Always #1

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The injuries are not limited to QB. I have never seen a team have so many injuries in general across the board, especially on the offensive side of the ball. They routinely work through 3-5 running backs each year. Kittle has been on and off IR his whole career. Deebo is like 1/4 for playing an entire season. I used to think bad luck, but I am becoming more convinced it has something to do with the scheme they like to run or Shanahan's offensive philosophy etc.

While I do think the OL does need some work in the offseason, and while Shannahan’s schemes have really helped Purdy transition into the bright rookie star that he now is, his schemes were what got both his QBs killed today. This is the thing I have never liked about Shannahan - he always has to prove he’s the smartest guy in the room, and ends up proving otherwise in the process. I go back to the Super Bowl when he was the OC for the Falcons (literally right before he took the 49ers job) - he had the league’s best running game that season and all he had to do was run the damn ball all second half and the Falcons would have been Super Bowl champs. Instead, as he always does, he got cute - and it cost the Falcons everything.

There are times when Shannahan looks like a genius - but yesterday he failed his entire team.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
The injuries are not limited to QB. I have never seen a team have so many injuries in general across the board, especially on the offensive side of the ball. They routinely work through 3-5 running backs each year. Kittle has been on and off IR his whole career. Deebo is like 1/4 for playing an entire season. I used to think bad luck, but I am becoming more convinced it has something to do with the scheme they like to run or Shanahan's offensive philosophy etc.
The top 5 teams in total players on IR this year were Titans (33), Broncos (28), Cardinals (26), Rams (24), Bears (23).

The 49ers had 15.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
While I do think the OL does need some work in the offseason, and while Shannahan’s schemes have really helped Purdy transition into the bright rookie star that he now is, his schemes were what got both his QBs killed today. This is the thing I have never liked about Shannahan - he always has to prove he’s the smartest guy in the room, and ends up proving otherwise in the process. I go back to the Super Bowl when he was the OC for the Falcons (literally right before he took the 49ers job) - he had the league’s best running game that season and all he had to do was run the damn ball all second half and the Falcons would have been Super Bowl champs. Instead, as he always does, he got cute - and it cost the Falcons everything.

There are times when Shannahan looks like a genius - but yesterday he failed his entire team.

I've had the same reaction watching the 49ers over the last 2 months. He obviously does some brilliant things, but there are also times where he appears to out think himself.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The top 5 teams in total players on IR this year were Titans (33), Broncos (28), Cardinals (26), Rams (24), Bears (23).

The 49ers had 15.
It is especially the offensive side of the ball. I play fantasy football, and the 49ers injuries especially at offensive skill positions is widely discussed in that community. Not sure if you're trying to big time me or what, but I wasn't looking for a pissing match.

Reactions: landerson

PSYclone22

SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
It is especially the offensive side of the ball. I play fantasy football, and the 49ers injuries especially at offensive skill positions is widely discussed in that community. Not sure if you're trying to big time me or what, but I wasn't looking for a pissing match.
I'm not looking for a pissing match, I'm noting that their injuries aren't more significant than the average team.

I'm sorry for continuing the discussion?

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I swear, these armchair QBs who are like "gotta play through the pain" have never suffered a severe injury in their lives.

About a month ago I slipped on ice and fell to both knees, and my right leg popped. It was so bad I had to be taken to the emergency room. At first I thought I blew out my knee, but fortunately it was just a really, really bad quad injury and probably some minor spraining to my MCL and patellar and quad tendons. Nearly a month later the quad still feels like it wants to give out at times, particularly when trying to stand or sit or trying to walk the stairs in my house. While frustrating, the orthopedic doctor I saw said it might be until April before my leg is fully healed. The worst part is it was weeks before I got a good night's sleep, and I still struggle with leg pain at night.

The point is with this injury I'm just struggling trying to function in everyday activities - there is no way I'd be able to play my way through this if I had to. The other point is Purdy would have played through his injury if he could - and he actually had to. But there was a reason why they were handing off the ball every down even when they were down three possessions - because Purdy could not throw the ball.

Ughh, that sounds painful, sorry about your fall. I am trying to avoid twitter today because of seeing so many irritated arm chair QBs. That app is loaded with grade a holes who just had nothing good to say. "Oh what a p**** just play through the pain." "I've got money riding on this." "A real competitor would play through the pain." etc etc. "Josh Allen threw the ball 60-70 yards down the field after his injury."

So many toxic people who just think it doesn't matter spewing such blatant inconsiderate hate and such selfish thinking. You don't think that Brock feels bad and wants to be in the game and play so badly? I'm sure he felt helpless when icing his elbow. I'm sure he felt helpless when he went in the game down and couldn't even barely throw a pass. At the end of the day it is just a game. Some were saying he gave up too easily and just couldn't handle the pressure. Yeah, ironically he couldn't handle the pressure because someone let the DE through and crushed his throwing elbow. It's just frustrating to see constant degrading talk. No way would I want or could handle being famous where everyone constantly has something to say no matter how successful you've been. Brock did his job successfully and it's like no matter what type of a person he is or how well he did, someone always hates success.

I hope he can properly heal quickly and its not a year long process of tommy john like some have possibly said. One would think he earned the starting job, but the NFL is a business so I'm sure they'll have a competition come fall. Just sucks that the game was over before it barely started.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Agree 100%.

It’s also completely ludicrous to think a pro athlete - all of whom are off the chart competitive - would say “my elbow kind of hurts. Think I’ll sit out this chance to take my team to the super bowl”. Such a dumb take.

These guys regularly play through pain most of us can’t fathom. At this level and in this game - where a trip to the super bowl is what they’ve played their whole lives for - I trust anyone that says “I can’t go, coach”.
Not to mention the pain that follows the sport when done. Not that I really want to talk about Favre, bar the person he is, but bring up oftentimes he could barely walk off the field. He played injured after a vikings game and played hurt all of the time. Same with Rodgers. He played 1/3 of a season with a hurt leg, bruised ribs and a hurt thumb. Sometimes those can have lasting effects with nerve damage and tendon ligament issues for life. The health issues post play are real and fans don't hear about that quite as often.

Reactions: twincyties

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
The Cardinals and Rams did this year. There were a record number of QBs that played this year.

Does the 49ers scheme lead to QB injuries?
I would ask this question as the injuries all happened during the first (scripted) drives. Does KS try to do things too early that normally get set up for later like last night running a play action without setting up the run first in this game?

PSYclone22

SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
I would ask this question as the injuries all happened during the first (scripted) drives. Does KS try to do things too early that normally get set up for later like last night running a play action without setting up the run first in this game?
How many rush attempts are required for the run to be established? They had already run 3 times on the drive before Purdy got injured.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I've had the same reaction watching the 49ers over the last 2 months. He obviously does some brilliant things, but there are also times where he appears to out think himself.

“Run that play where we put a backup tight end to block one of the top pass rushers in the NFL, on the side away from the progression so Brock won’t see him coming. It’s so crazy it’s gotta work!”

Too bad the Niners didn’t win, so we’d get a Super Bowl where we’d see Shanahan’s scheme of having a backup punt returner block Chris Jones on a slow-developing deep pass play, because Jones would be so shocked he’d probably just stop his pass rush in confusion.

• Winner
Reactions: Dowwmeow

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Waiting for Purdy’s MRI results

nervous-anxious.gif

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
This guy called it and made a video about it before the game was over

That was a good informative video.

Not that it really matters at this point, but it also appeared that Purdy’s arm was just starting to move forward, which means it should have been an incomplete pass. And if that is true somehow the refs missed that even after reviewing it.

Reactions: aauummm

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That was a good informative video.

Not that it really matters at this point, but it also appeared that Purdy’s arm was just starting to move forward, which means it should have been an incomplete pass. And if that is true somehow the refs missed that even after reviewing it.
The refs were trash in both games yesterday.

• Winner
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Help Support Us

Become a patron