49ers - Brock Purdy - Still and Always #1

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Sucks that Breece Hall was injured because we might've seen both Purdy and Hall in the running for ORotY.
Breece tore his ACL so Brock could win. Just dedication and loyalty to his college teammate and brother

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I get the argument against Purdy and the shorter body of work, but unpopular opinion, having a 1000 yard season for a rookie receiver is the easiest accomplishment by comparison to every other position. A rookie receiver can play games without even knowing all the schemes and route trees. Fast guy? Go routes, post routes. Possession guy? Hook and curl routes.

A rookie QB needs to know the whole damn thing and then process it correctly each play. The difficulty level is exponentially higher. So I have no problem with Purdy getting it over a rookie receiver.
It's a feat so easy, it's only been done 25 times since 1960. When you bump it to the 1100 yard threshold, which Wilson achieved, it has only been done 11 times. 80+ receptions by a rookie has been done 11 times and 80+ receptions and 1100+ yard by a rookie only 8. If you want to discount it because you think it's easier (or start using the 17 game argument leading to stat inflation) you're doing Wilson a huge disservice. You can point to his low number of TDs as a negative as all those other 8 seasons the rookie receiver had at least 6, but remember that he has had some combination of Zach Wilson/Mike White/Joe Flacco throwing him the ball. Slightly better QB and he probably ends up with a top 5 all time rookie WR season.

Well all want to be Brock supporters, but Wilson still had an amazing season for a rookie.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Holy smokes.

First off, sorry about spamming the thread, but I NEED for this to happen.

No matter what happens from here on out for the 49ers.

Brock Purdy

George Kittle

Cy-Hawk game, Ames, IA

Show highlights of Brock and Kittle from this past season and playoffs between the first and second quarter.

Bring both of them on the field to thunderous applause.
Now we have a true celebrity picker in 15-20 years.

Reactions: SaraV

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
It's a feat so easy, it's only been done 25 times since 1960. When you bump it to the 1100 yard threshold, which Wilson achieved, it has only been done 11 times. 80+ receptions by a rookie has been done 11 times and 80+ receptions and 1100+ yard by a rookie only 8. If you want to discount it because you think it's easier (or start using the 17 game argument leading to stat inflation) you're doing Wilson a huge disservice. You can point to his low number of TDs as a negative as all those other 8 seasons the rookie receiver had at least 6, but remember that he has had some combination of Zach Wilson/Mike White/Joe Flacco throwing him the ball. Slightly better QB and he probably ends up with a top 5 all time rookie WR season.

Well all want to be Brock supporters, but Wilson still had an amazing season for a rookie.

Wilson had an amazing season, I don't mean to downplay it, but as I mentioned in my post, In Comparison. A receiver can get partially up to speed with the play book, get on the field and not normally hurt the team alot if they make mistakes (wrong route, etc). A running back is slightly more difficult by including blocking assignments to the mix and that could hurt the team with mistakes. A QB must know everything they are going to run and when they make mistakes, everyone knows.

My point was comparing the difficulty level by position. 25 receivers since 1980 is pretty good company. But Purdy is in the rarely ever happens category, which is why it's receiving so much pub. That's why I feel like his smaller body of work still trumps Wilson's season.

ilaybrix

Apr 28, 2022
Hopefully Brock has changed his game enough since DK McDonald observed all Brock's tendencies at ISU. I am also believing that Shanahan, Griese, and Kubiak have helped Brock progress significantly.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

How are Wilson’s stats in the playoffs looking?

Reactions: 20eyes