Can we talk about Osun Osunniyi?

melt

Apr 5, 2006
Chicago, IL
Osunniyi was the piece we were missing last year. The offense just flows so much better when he's out there. When Jones subs in we struggle so much more on offense. Love this guy.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He's been so good lately. We are a different team with a rim protector and his ability to iso off the high post is huge for us. Last year we had guys in that spot who wouldn't even face up. It gives us a different dimension when that person is a threat to score.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Am I a college athlete no. I think many on here however have seen enough college basketball games to comprehend some level of feasibility. As a junior at St Bonaventure he averaged 34 minutes a game. This is an avg, meaning he likely had several games exceeding this total.

He's not a freshman, completely adapting to college play, but a fifth year senior. No one is questioning our defensive style and level of competition is tougher than what he faced there. With that said it's not unreasonable to ask why he's only able to TOUCH 25 mpg while averaging 18 minutes for the season.

Everyone knew there would be an adjustment period. I get that. We are halfway through the conference season and yet it's a tall order for him to get much more than 24 minutes a game. I don't see how or why that's such an unreasonable question. By this point he should be able to play 25-30 a game on most nights, not 18-23.
1, it's brutal battling bigs that weigh more and then guard the 3 point line.

2, the dude rolled his ankle/knee a couple games back and made us all cringe. He's now wearing a brace. So is it possible that he is limited in practice and games because of injury?

Let it go...

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Just wanted to bump this thread because Shoon was unbelievable in the 2nd half last night. Lot of great defensive plays and clutch from the free throw line. The team is much better when Shoon is in the game

I think for a big chunk of the home stretch, the offense was completely running through Shoon. I thought on one of the cut shots after he was fouled really late in the game, he looked a little gassed. He was really gutting out the end of the game and working his tail off, to great effect.

Reactions: stuclone

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Am I a college athlete no. I think many on here however have seen enough college basketball games to comprehend some level of feasibility. As a junior at St Bonaventure he averaged 34 minutes a game. This is an avg, meaning he likely had several games exceeding this total.

He's not a freshman, completely adapting to college play, but a fifth year senior. No one is questioning our defensive style and level of competition is tougher than what he faced there. With that said it's not unreasonable to ask why he's only able to TOUCH 25 mpg while averaging 18 minutes for the season.

Everyone knew there would be an adjustment period. I get that. We are halfway through the conference season and yet it's a tall order for him to get much more than 24 minutes a game. I don't see how or why that's such an unreasonable question. By this point he should be able to play 25-30 a game on most nights, not 18-23.

You're comparing apples and bananas.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020

I guarantee you he wasn’t playing at this intensity level at St Bonaventure. And I also guarantee that some yahoo sitting in the stands is in no way qualified to pass any judgement on how many minutes anybody should be playing.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I just love Osun more and more. He is such a smart player. And he craves the intensity of the moment.

My favorite play last night was where he was guarding the in-bounds pass, then moved quickly into the lane to block what the shooter thought was going to be an easy shot.

I also saw hints of a play that is going to be fantastic in post-season play. When a guard on the left feeds the ball into Osun on the left side of the lane, Holmes spots up on the right side of the lane. It is similar to a pick and roll, but it doesn't require an open lane. I think most defenses are going to expect him to make a move himself or just pass the ball back out to the guards on the left. It seemed like we set it up a few times, but couldn't quite make it work. This is one of those places where the Osun/Holmes multi-year relationship is going to be so valuable.

Reactions: werdnamanhill

Matthew-10

Nov 13, 2006
Anyone who has played basketball knows that big guys need more energy to move and are rarely coordinated. The ones that show promise are playing. Shoon may not be the greatest athlete, but he is a competitor. They pull him to protect him from fouls as well. They need to manage his time or he’d foul out of more games. Not his fault, just the strength of the league. He looks like he’s having the time of his life and that is great to see!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
1, it's brutal battling bigs that weigh more and then guard the 3 point line.

2, the dude rolled his ankle/knee a couple games back and made us all cringe. He's now wearing a brace. So is it possible that he is limited in practice and games because of injury?

Let it go...

Nope these players should just be video game characters from like 1992 that don't get tired and just do whatever we fully expect them too.

Nobody should play, and everyone's a liability if they make a mistake or the opponent made up of other dudes makes a play.

It's getting too easy to read between the lines of what ZRF wants to happen and it just isn't unfortunately for them.

• Winner
Reactions: CloneLawman

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My only criticism of Shoon is hoping he gets away from the pump fake on his post moves. I'd like to see him just go up strong right away.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
The block he had on Nowell late in the game under the rim was a thing of beauty

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Osunniyi was the piece we were missing last year. The offense just flows so much better when he's out there. When Jones subs in we struggle so much more on offense. Love this guy.

100%. And as excited as I am for next year, this is the biggest question mark - who are we going to try to find in the transfer portal to fill an Osunniyi type role? I'm not nearly as down on BRE as most on here, but even with another good offseason of progress for him, we'll still want a second option along side him. Will it be Ward? Or a transfer?

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
with Grill being limited, we needed someone to step up scoring-wise. I'm glad to see that Osun has stepped up a bit.

He was dealing with an ankle injury earlier this season, but there were times when he was a no-show. Glad to see more consistency out of him.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
The conditioning part and inability to play big minutes, even when not in foul trouble, is perplexing. While our defensive pressure can be intense, we somewhat mitigate that by playing a more controlled, slower tempo, half court game. Offensively Shoon isn't having to make cuts, and while he will set screens for the pick and roll, those aren't exactly high intensity plays.

If Eddie Lampkin at 265 can log 30 minutes on a high tempo team, I don't see why a big with Shoons body type can't hit the 30 minute barrier. He either has the weakest set of lungs I've seen or this is a perplexing mystery. We need him to be able to play 30 minutes when he's not in foul trouble. We are a completely different team when he is one the floor.

I don't know if I've ever seen a starter completely unable/unwilling to log 30 minutes in a game.
Just when I think you have made the most idiotic post possible, you take it to a new level.

Not sure if you are a hok fan or just narcissistic, self absorbed ass-hole but in either case, your stick is old. Give yourself a break and stop professing your ignorance.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
100%. And as excited as I am for next year, this is the biggest question mark - who are we going to try to find in the transfer portal to fill an Osunniyi type role? I'm not nearly as down on BRE as most on here, but even with another good offseason of progress for him, we'll still want a second option along side him. Will it be Ward? Or a transfer?
A whole new level of the portal will be open to us now.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night?

• Haha
Reactions: BACyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron