*** Official #5 Kansas State vs #12 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
It's probably me not remembering correctly, but I swear Watson looks like he has put on some good weight since November.
I think so - which is unusual in-season - but one knock on him coming in was that he was a skinny freshman, and he doesn't look skinny. He's not quite as built as Tre, but close enough! He's got a BigXII body already

Reactions: Cyientist

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
But just after that he completely missed his defensive assignment on Massoud - sagged off him into the lane - left him wide wide open for a 3. I don't think he played again after that

He's also a bit of a liability on offense. Those few possessions he was in he looked kind of lost in our sets.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Holmes, and Lipsey. Holmes applies all sorts of pressure on the defense at all three levels, and Lipsey just stays under control and makes the right plays, time after time.
Just like Tinsley and Horton. Lipsey being just a freshman and his drives reminding me of Tinsley is nothing but a huge compliment to him. All conference/school record breaking type of player. Just needs a consistent outside shot is all I'm seeing him needing to improve which I'm sure it will.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I do find it interesting King only played 12 minutes and Watson played 18. Wonder if they felt Watson just matched up better defensively.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyientist

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I do find it interesting King only played 12 minutes and Watson played 18. Wonder if they felt Watson just matched up better defensively.

King not getting more minutes is a head-scratcher to me. I think he contributes when he's in and his physicality helps us.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Holmes, and Lipsey. Holmes applies all sorts of pressure on the defense at all three levels, and Lipsey just stays under control and makes the right plays, time after time.
The chess match at the end of the game, where we couldn't get a stop and needed to score each possession, and they put Tomlin the big on Lipsey and we ran the two man game with him and Shoon was amazing. It seemed like both coaches were being stubborn by sticking with it - but Lipsey and Shoon ran it to perfection.

And damn Tamin needs to find a shot before next season.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Also, what was the very long delay with 10 seconds left? The refs took forever, then put 0.4 seconds back on the clock. That couldn't have all been clock review, could it??

They explained themselves to the coaches and ESPN but never announced anything to everyone in Hilton.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
King not getting more minutes is a head-scratcher to me. I think he contributes when he's in and his physicality helps us.

He got 12 minutes. There’s only so much to go around. That seems about right to me. Especially since he’s played all of 9 competitive basketball games in the past 18 months.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Just like Tinsley and Horton. Lipsey being just a freshman and his drives reminding me of Tinsley is nothing but a huge compliment to him. All conference/school record breaking type of player. Just needs a consistent outside shot is all I'm seeing him needing to improve which I'm sure it will.
lol, interesting comparison. Tinsley was just another level - I remember watching the exhibition game the first time he played in Hilton (at least I think it was) and he threw a no-look pass that hit the post player square in the face and they never saw it coming.

But Lipsey, especially on his drives, does have the Tinsley ability to get from point A to point B much quicker than you think they can.

I'd put it this way - he's got the smoothness of Tinsley, but not the street. lol

Jamaal wasn't a good shooter his first year either - 24% and a make every other game. He was much better his second year

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
The chess match at the end of the game, where we couldn't get a stop and needed to score each possession, and they put Tomlin the big on Lipsey and we ran the two man game with him and Shoon was amazing. It seemed like both coaches were being stubborn by sticking with it - but Lipsey and Shoon ran it to perfection.

And damn Tamin needs to find a shot before next season.
Yeah, if other teams start sagging off of him like KState did to close out, that can mess with a player that isn’t confident in their shot.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Also, what was the very long delay with 10 seconds left? The refs took forever, then put 0.4 seconds back on the clock. That couldn't have all been clock review, could it??

They explained themselves to the coaches and ESPN but never announced anything to everyone in Hilton.
It looked like the clock started when the free throw went through, rather than when K State inbounded, and then stopped, but it also took a fraction for it to restart once they did, so I think they were sorting that out.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
It looked like the clock started when the free throw went through, rather than when K State inbounded, and then stopped, but it also took a fraction for it to restart once they did, so I think they were sorting that out.

Not that it really mattered in the end, and I can appreciate crew wanting to be accurate with the clock and other matters, but man, those reviews really bog the game down for the crowd and the viewer, especially during such a close game.

I did get a laugh out of Spatola making the joke about contacting your representative to get it changed.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Thanks for the info.

They took a good 5 minutes to review something that added 0.4 seconds back. I get that they need to get the clock right but no way should a simple review like that take that long.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Not that it really mattered in the end, and I can appreciate crew wanting to be accurate with the clock and other matters, but man, those reviews really bog the game down for the crowd and the viewer, especially during such a close game.

I did get a laugh out of Spatola making the joke about contacting your representative to get it changed.
Yeah, and they mentioned that it was, in effect, icing Caleb Grill at the free throw line, as if anything in the universe could ice Caleb Grill.