We will be seeing a lot of Tom Manning

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I genuinely hope that works out well for him. We all know he wasn't perfect here, but I also believe he got scapegoated pretty hard at times. Simply put, I don't disagree with the change at all - it was needed, but I also don't have as many negative feelings towards his work as many others do.

There are equal moments in my mind where Tom called great plays and on the flipside where he stubbornly called the same awful plays over and over (i.e. redzone possessions v Texas Tech) to no effect. I don't think that makes him a bad coach, it just makes him a coach with room to grow.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
That will be interesting to watch.

Scott Satterfield is on the verge of bringing one of football’s top young coaches back to his home state.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

New OC for Cincinnati Bearcats. Hopefully our defense can stop the 2 yard crossing route on 3rd and 12!

200w.gif

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I guess this will make it easier to judge whether we had an OC issue or a HC issue.

Yeah…. most likely he’ll go there and we won’t even recognize the offense. It will be wide open, misdirection, throws downfield, screens, etc, etc, etc.

And then we’ll know where the problem really is….. while ISU’s offense looks exactly like last year.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
I guess this will make it easier to judge whether we had an OC issue or a HC issue.
We should know if it’s a HC issue in the first game or two. If the offense is the same basic formations and plays, then we’ll know it was Campbell running the offense and Manning was just the scapegoat and we’ve all been duped. I have a feeling we’ll see an entirely new offense though.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
There were a lot of calls in games that I was not real happy with, but Manning was somewhat handicapped by having an OL that couldn't protect and couldn't get any push. That GA to OL coach hire was the biggest mistake of Campbell's career. Hopefully the Cyclones can recover from it quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
There were a lot of calls in games that I was not real happy with, but Manning was somewhat handicapped by having an OL that couldn't protect and couldn't get any push. That GA to OL coach hire was the biggest mistake of Campbell's career. Hopefully the Cyclones can recover from it quickly.
I can't disagree with this. And he was definitely hindered by a crap O-line. I do think the other reason that Manning failed is I felt he had no creativity. He had a box he coached in and never really looked outside of that.

Hammerschlagen

Feb 23, 2022
We should know if it’s a HC issue in the first game or two. If the offense is the same basic formations and plays, then we’ll know it was Campbell running the offense and Manning was just the scapegoat and we’ve all been duped. I have a feeling we’ll see an entirely new offense though.
I REALLY doubt this.

We may see a fair amount of new wrinkles and hopefully a different approach in various situations (short yardage, first down, etc.) but this is the offense that Campbell wants to run. Manning wasn't running the show, he's running offense within the parameters set by the head cheese

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I REALLY doubt this.

We may see a fair amount of new wrinkles and hopefully a different approach in various situations (short yardage, first down, etc.) but this is the offense that Campbell wants to run. Manning wasn't running the show, he's running offense within the parameters set by the head cheese
I tend to agree. Again, in general a lot of the issues with the offense was the inability to pick up short yardage first downs, which is more on the OL than the scheme. Not convinced that Manning was being totally controlled by Campbell though. Campbell definitely wants a run first, shorten the game offense because that is what is best for the defense, which has some guys but not a lot of depth.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Watch them run 10 QB sneaks under center his first year there. And convert each and every one of them.
So we can all just go, w, t, f
Or he adopts the Washington offense and throws 40 yard bombs every third play. With the QB out of the pocket!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron