The three Cyclone basketball players who made you the fan you are today

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Who are the three Cyclone basketball players who most contributed to your love of Hilton and Cyclone basketball? It doesn't have to be the greatest player you ever saw play or a huge statistical performer. Who did you watch play that made you identify as a Cyclone fan from the start, or turned you into the fan you are today?

For me coming of age as a sports fan, it was Barry Stevens, Jeff Grayer, and Justus Thigpen. I spent so many hours in the driveway pretending to be one of them. I saw Jeff Grayer in an airport once a few years ago and was too star struck to go talk to him. Justus was a junior the year I arrived at ISU, and put up some legendary performances that year including the famous floor shaker against OSU and a buzzer beater against KU. Barry was pure talent, so damn smooth. All were Flint guys Johnny got to come to Ames.

Who were yours?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's my earliest real memories and likely the first impression sticking but Thigpen, Hoiberg and Michalik (SP?).

Justice was Johnny Ball defined.

Reactions: 0u812

Hammerschlagen

Feb 23, 2022
Tinley and Fizer are the only two for me.

At the same time was Cael Sanderson, Sage Rosenfels, and Seneca Wallace. Throw in Dan MacCarney.
Those guys pretty much solidified my cyclone fandom.
I was 7-12 years old during that time period
Edit: I’d also like to add Pete Taylor as a very influential cyclone

Last edited:

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
13 has been my favorite number since I was a kid because of Rahshon Clark. I was a huge Craig Brackins fan as a middle schooler. Tyrus McGee is my favorite "non star" ISU player ever so I'll say those three.

I'd put Niang, Morris, etc. up there but I was already a huge fan by that point

Help Support Us

Become a patron