Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
They were picked dead last in the ACC and the ACC is down.
The ACC is incredibly bad this year. Duke not looking as good as they usually are. UNC topples 17 spots down the polls in one week. FSU and Louisville with 1 win combined.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I never got the love for Pastner. I don't think he's a good coach at all.
Being proven that he isn't a good coach, but his first four years at Memphis were really good. I know he was buying players, but still it was pretty good.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Being proven that he isn't a good coach, but his first four years at Memphis were really good. I know he was buying players, but still it was pretty good.
Define "really good". He has never made the second weekend of the NCAA tournament despite inheriting a winning Memphis program.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
Because we find it humorous that so many hawk players can't let go. It is a noticeable pattern that has occurred under Fran especially. He likes to use redshirts, and likes to find ways to keep his players for as long as he can.

The Murrays were a bit different. They had the year of prep school between HS and Iowa, which is where I think their potential was truly tapped into. Not sure whose idea it was for them to go to prep school. Maybe Fran recommended it, but I'm guessing family decision.
Franny didn't recommend ****.....it was all their daddy. Knew they weren't ready for college....
Good call by dad.
Franny doesn't deserve credit for anything on the Murrays.....he didn’t develop garza either.
If you want to witness his player development progress....look at connie n lil P.

• Haha
Reactions: Shawker

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
Fran intentionally slow playing Kris is flat out gross and I'm surprised it doesn't get talked about more. Iowa fans need to stop crediting Fran for Garza and the Murrays, the majority of their development has not taken place in Iowa City.
Kris appears to a mid-first round pick on most draft boards. I don’t get all the grousing about Fran “slow playing”. Although I find it funny.

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
I know you're probably not an NBA fan due to the lack of success Iowa players have in the league, but age is pretty important in basketball.
Again, most mock boards show him as a mid first round pick. Apparently they disagreed with you on his age.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Kris appears to a mid-first round pick on most draft boards. I don’t get all the grousing about Fran “slow playing”. Although I find it funny.
I don't know man it just doesn't pass the smell test. So Kris averaged 18(!) minutes a game last year, and now he's going for 30 and 20 in a game?! I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kenyon and Fran put this plan together. Feature Keegan (who's a little better) one year and then feature Kris a year later to maximize each kids publicity and draft stock. I mean more power to them. If the boys were on board there's really nothing wrong with it. Lord knows Iowa would be completely screwed without Kris this year. Fran would've had to bring in an impact transfer and I'm not sure he's capable.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I don't know man it just doesn't pass the smell test. So Kris averaged 18(!) minutes a game last year, and now he's going for 30 and 20 in a game?! I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kenyon and Fran put this plan together. Feature Keegan (who's a little better) one year and then feature Kris a year later to maximize each kids publicity and draft stock. I mean more power to them. If the boys were on board there's really nothing wrong with it. Lord knows Iowa would be completely screwed without Kris this year. Fran would've had to bring in an impact transfer and I'm not sure he's capable.
Kris was pretty hot and cold last year. THere were games where he really didn't do much in his 18 minute and then there were games he would go off. He also fouled a lot.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
If he played last year, both Kris and Keegan would have NBA jobs today. Only cost him a year...no big deal. 1669836586099.png Plus Frannies kid got to develop more.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
And Keegan is in his year 22 season. Again, age is a big factor in drafting players. NBA drafts on pure potential. There will be outliers, but for the most part, you will age out.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...uld-be-a-big-factor-when-evaluating-prospects
"In fact, players who were drafted at the age of 23 or older actually tended to be busts on average. "
. Why it is rare for players that are older to get drafted is that most of the players declare for the draft when they are younger. So just be elimination there are only going to be a few NBA type players that stick around in college for an extra year or two that are NBA players. It has nothing to do with "aging out". They are just not good enough.
If for example, all the projected NBA draft picks for this coming year and the next 4 years decided that they were just going to stay in college for their complete eligibility they wouldn't "age out" they would still be top draft picks. It is just that now they all go early. Also, I don't recall seeing a 23 or 24 year old player in the draft

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Maybe if Kris played more with his brother, Fran would have made it out of the first weekend.
Exactly. It is asinine of hawk fans, coaches, Murray family members, et. all, to assume that Keegan and Kris can only thrive independent of one another. They quite likely had 2 NBA lottery picks on the same roster last season, and one only played 18 mpg.