*** Official IOWA STATE vs #20 UCONN Game(Day) Thread ***

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I like that play if it’s Ward or Watson out front to receive it. However if he throws that down the juice from that would have made a huge difference

It’s hard to explain but if you’ve been on the court you know. It’s like a wave of energy that also sharpens your focus. Very unique to basketball. It’s why basketball is my favorite sport to watch and play.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Grill threw one down just like that against UM. Gotta go for it. Those are momentum changing plays. They are belief plays. Those kind of plays aren’t in the stats or the analytics.

That's high risk high reward though.

That going negatively was basically a 5 point swing the other way and it felt like the game was done after that.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Oh well. This team wasn't going undefeated.

UConn is good. They looked like a top-five team out there. There comes a point where great offense beats great defense, and UConn has great guards, a matchup nightmare, and that monstrous #32. That's just beyond the program away from Hilton right now. I fear similar outcomes against Kansas, Baylor, and Texas, but the good news is there should be enough wins against the rest of the Big 12.

Going 2-1 in Portland with two wins over P6 opponents (not against Portland out of the WCC) that are likely to improve throughout the year is definitely ahead of pace and my expectations so far.

Good job TJ and squad! Let's get STJ and Iowa!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
That's high risk high reward though.

That going negatively was basically a 5 point swing the other way and it felt like the game was done after that.

Yep. Nothing to lose except a game in November against a definite Quad 1 team on a neutral floor after upsetting #1 in the country. It was pretty obvious early on our legs weren’t going to hold up all night. This is the time to go for it.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Gabe plays amazing defense. Offensively, he is inconsistent. However, prior to tonight, I was holding out hope that he would be "more on than off" because I had yet to see him airball a 3 this season. He at least was catching iron and some of his misses actually looked like they were in. Tonight it was ugly shooting again & that dreaded airball three. BTW, I don't blame Gabe for the loss. Jones had a couple shots that he needed a little more touch on (like in the last game or two) & Holmes missed way too many easy ones as well. Make those AND our FTs, and this game may have been closer at the end.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
One of the key turning points of the game was when we cut it to 6 and had the steal for a 3 on 1 break and made a bad decision with an alley-oop pass. The resulting unfortunate carom off the backboard to give UConn a quick break the other way led to a wide open made 3 pointer. So, instead of cutting the lead to 4, it was back up to 9. There were a few other botched offensive plays after a steal as well - but that one really stuck out to me. Not sure we would have won anyways - but that sequence kinda sums up tonight pretty well. Our guys play with so much energy and determination. Unfortunately, the offensive skill set is limited.
We made that mistake and they made the mistake on the break of traveling just prior to sending the ball to the 3 point shooter. It's too bad they didn't get to count that. Oh, darn, they did.

Reactions: kentkel

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Gabe plays amazing defense. Offensively, he is inconsistent. However, prior to tonight, I was holding out hope that he would be "more on than off" because I had yet to see him airball a 3 this season. He at least was catching iron and some of his misses actually looked like they were in. Tonight it was ugly shooting again & that dreaded airball three. BTW, I don't blame Gabe for the loss. Jones had a couple shots that he needed a little more touch on (like in the last game or two) & Holmes missed way too many easy ones as well. Make those AND our FTs, and this game may have been closer at the end.

To me it looked like ISU hardly had any real clean looks. And if they did UConn still created plenty of activity around it.

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
Still really excited for the season. Most teams don't go undefeated the whole way.
UConn played exceptionally well, big, fast and athletic, impressive Team. Great early season opportunity. We will improve more from this type of game than waxing some small school looking for a payday.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Beating a #1 is AWESOME. But that was a Friday. M-F is the week in my book. S-S, sucked badly.
Semantics, considering it started at 4:30 on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I hope everything else is going OK for you, friend.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Now posters are arguing over what days are considered part of the weekend. Time to go to bed.

Reactions: HouClone

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
I wouldn’t say football was better than expected
Most predicted 4-6 wins before the year, and knew it woukd be a rebuild... Then win first the and all of a sudden we are out harshest critics every game and are angry we lose all these games by a fg or Less. Victims of our own expectations.

• Dumb
Reactions: CoKane

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Two very good defenses on the floor tonight. They made hay on the scramble drill in the first half quite a lot. We couldn't pull that off. In the second half, they were able to get guys open more often OR just shoot 30 foot jumpers and make them cause it didn't matter.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron