2022 Football post mortem/looking forward

Williowa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2016
I freaking hate this comparison. He had not been scouted and was inserted on a whim at Okie State against a team with a bad defense. Yes his performance was crazy good and fun but how can anyone think that's just the norm after opposing teams get film?

On the 2018 season, he had Butler to loft it up to even if under thrown. Big difference.
Wait you're saying that pump fake wouldn't just work forever?

Reactions: madguy30

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I freaking hate this comparison. He had not been scouted and was inserted on a whim at Okie State against a team with a bad defense. Yes his performance was crazy good and fun but how can anyone think that's just the norm after opposing teams get film?

On the 2018 season, he had Butler to loft it up to even if under thrown. Big difference.

It was true for more than that game though. The remainder of that season Purdy was out there just playing his game. Then over the course of that next offseason he stopped playing with his instincts and started playing by the coaches rules and started making terrible turnovers for the rest of his career.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
We need at a minimum a new OL coach.

I would love to get a recording of the JP and CMC conversation that is coming. JP stated when Prohm was fired that he had a season end review with him, as he does every coach, and asked what changes needed to be made. When Prohm stated using transfers big to turn over the roster, because the recruiting had failed, JP changed the coaching roster.

I don't think CMC's job is in jeopardy, unless he gives JP a BS answer of being so close. You have to average more than 20 points a game to win in any P5 conference. And CMC came into this program planning to win championships. Having a good defense alone is not going to win many games, let alone championships.

And if CMC is limiting the plays the OC can develop, then with a new OL coach, we will see and if next year is another dumpster fire, then a staff change is in order.

Look at TCU. It is possible to replace a head coach and have a great season. If we don't get to a bowl game next year, then we are looking for a new coaching staff.
He'll have minimum of two more years no matter what happens next year

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I can tell you what changed for Harbaugh, he discovered how to control the pace of games with running. Lots of running plays. That all starts at the OL level.

We also have been fortunate to have this in the past as well with David and Breece. The line wasn’t that good but we had enough other weapons to keep defenses honest.

What Campbell wants to do on offense works very nicely with good to great tightends and good running backs. You throw in a nasty Oline look out. We didn’t have any of those things this year and the offense struggled.

Last edited:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I’m still trying to figure out why Dekkers gets a pass for this terrible offense…the QB is like the head coach - you get the glory but you get a lot of the blame.

After being hyped up all off-season, the guy laid an egg this year. Turnover machine, can’t read the field, can’t make progressions, can’t run, can’t audible. But he’s got a big arm…

Maybe it’s 100% on the coaches but I highly, highly doubt it.

IMO Dekkers has underperformed. Decisions. Throws. Etc. Dekkers has potential. But QB Coach Joel Gordon certainly has not coached him up. Purdy seemed to regress as well. OL Coach most likely gets replaced IMO. IMO some or our play calling is dictated by the poor play of OL and QB. Total inconsistency leads to. eventual failure.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Hard to explain but this is where I am at:

This whole thing is a scam. ISU raking in $$$, JP, CMC, and assistants all over paid for this production.

Hard working fans are throwing $$$, time, and energy at this. For what? Heartache?

Similar to horse racing or the financial markets. The big guy needs the little guy to take advantage of.

That’s on you for falling for the pre-season hype machines, including this website.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I’m still trying to figure out why Dekkers gets a pass for this terrible offense…the QB is like the head coach - you get the glory but you get a lot of the blame.

After being hyped up all off-season, the guy laid an egg this year. Turnover machine, can’t read the field, can’t make progressions, can’t run, can’t audible. But he’s got a big arm…

Maybe it’s 100% on the coaches but I highly, highly doubt it.

He is Jacob Park in many ways

• Winner
Reactions: joefrog

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
That’s on you for falling for the pre-season hype machines, including this website.
Not really. I half watch and half listen thanks to my wife who has been pounding on me for years that this stuff isn’t that important.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
IMO Dekkers has underperformed. Decisions. Throws. Etc. Dekkers has potential. But QB Coach Joel Gordon certainly has not coached him up. Purdy seemed to regress as well. OL Coach most likely gets replaced IMO. IMO some or our play calling is dictated by the poor play of OL and QB. Total inconsistency leads to

People talk a lot of **** about all the shallow crosses we run but that’s the only play we can run with a bad o line and receivers that can’t create any kind of separation. Even X doesn’t create a lot of separation which then leads to have to making crazy throws and making crazy catches for anything down field.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA

It’s not the performance it’s more how freely he played. But see whatever you want to in it.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

Never underestimate the level of stupidity of people

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I remember Purdy throwing for almost 4,000 yards in the first year of his "regression" with a pretty not exceptional group of receivers.

Dekkers had over 3000 this year. 2nd in passing yards and 3rd in TDs in the conference. He was only passed by Duggan for total passing yards in this last game.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
You know, I hate this with a passion - it kills tempo, as you say it takes all initiative away from the players on the field, and it just looks dumb when six players all stop and stand up and stare at the sideline for 15 seconds.

I get the idea in theory (the coaches see how the defense lines up, then gets adjustments in from the sideline), but it never works for Iowa State in practice. Instead it always seems the Cyclones hit a decent play, get the defense back on their heels and unprepared, then the coaches take all momentum away by having the team stop the game to look over and get a new play call sent in, which always seems to be shifts by the tight ends, putting the slot in motion, and handing off up the middle for a half-yard gain.

If the theory worked, seems like you’d see a lot more instances of Iowa State taking advantage of a bad matchup or a defensive misalignment to break off big plays after the coaches adjust from the sidelines. Has that ever happened?
It’s coaching masturbation (Sorry if too graphic). The coaches do it because it feels good to them regardless of the results.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Purdy “regressed” because of the amount of time he played. What I mean is that there was so much film to learn about him because he had so many snaps.

I get why Purdy was asked to not run so much too. He was SMALL and we really didn’t have a backup. He took plenty of shots anyway. The one at OU i still can’t believe he got up.

I call it the Brad Banks Phenomenon. If Brad Banks would have had another year do you think he would have been a Heisman finalist? Absolutely not. He would have been dissected over the off season by opposing coaches and during the next season. He wouldn’t have been nearly as successful because his talent wasn’t that great and wouldn’t have been able to evolve.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
We need at a minimum a new OL coach.

I would love to get a recording of the JP and CMC conversation that is coming. JP stated when Prohm was fired that he had a season end review with him, as he does every coach, and asked what changes needed to be made. When Prohm stated using transfers big to turn over the roster, because the recruiting had failed, JP changed the coaching roster.

I don't think CMC's job is in jeopardy, unless he gives JP a BS answer of being so close. You have to average more than 20 points a game to win in any P5 conference. And CMC came into this program planning to win championships. Having a good defense alone is not going to win many games, let alone championships.

And if CMC is limiting the plays the OC can develop, then with a new OL coach, we will see and if next year is another dumpster fire, then a staff change is in order.

Look at TCU. It is possible to replace a head coach and have a great season. If we don't get to a bowl game next year, then we are looking for a new coaching staff.
Myers (along with another coach or two) will no longer be on this staff after this upcoming week. Have a smidge of patience

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron