*** Official IOWA STATE vs #4 TCU Game(Day) Thread ***

Williowa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2016
Wasted timeouts after a botched substitution immediately followed by a misaligned offensive set and a false start?
Well.... Assuming we recover a fumble inside their 20 we could then kick the field goal for those 3 points

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Anyone remember what happened the last time we played a red-headed undefeated QB in November? Cyclones shocked everyone and knocked that red head outta the ship.

We're gonna do it again, though this one won't be as big of an upset. Cyclones 24, TCU 17

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Well.... Assuming we recover a fumble inside their 20 we could then kick the field goal for those 3 points
You do understand that simply kicking a field goal doesn’t get you 3 points right? The kick needs to go through the uprights before being awarded 3 points.
And all of that is assuming the offense does one of the following:
Keeps possession of the football until the FG attempt on 4th down
Gains positive or even no yardage to avoid a punt

Last edited:
Reactions: Acylum

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
You do understand that simply kicking a field goal doesn’t get you 3 points right? The kick needs to go through the uprights before being awarded 3 points.
Don’t forget to limit false start penalties that could result in a longer 30 yard field goal that we can’t hit.

Williowa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2016
Well..... If we recovered a fumble at the 5 yard line we probably wouldn't even try to kick it

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I managed to predict Caleb Grill going off last night so lets keep the magic going. Norton rushes for over 100, D gets a couple big turnovers, Clones stun the Frogs 20-17

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Okay, now explain this to me after watching the TCU field goal replay. I’m games, we have had the refs hold for 5 seconds or more when we subbed but when TCU ran on the field, the ref marked the ball and ran out immediately. Shouldn’t he have sat on the ball on let Baylor sub? Looks like TCU should not have had an opportunity to kick the FG. I dislike Baylor, but that is the refs not doing what they are supposed to do and being inconsistent.

This was addressed in another thread ... there is a special rule just for FG's.

What will be our first offensesive play?

Slow-developing shotgun hand-off run up the middle for little to no gain, of course.

• Informative
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I just wonder if the team is excited to go play in some warm air and try to notch a big win. If they are not extremely motivated, I'd know where to wager my check. Coaches need to earn it this week.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I just wonder if the team is excited to go play in some warm air and try to notch a big win. If they are not extremely motivated, I'd know where to wager my check. Coaches need to earn it this week.

Oddly enough its about 5 degrees warmer in Ames right now than in Fort Worth

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
Checking in from The stands in Fort Worth. 1st time here stadium a lot neater in person than on TV. Good in stadium beer options which we might need. Hope we play and coach like we have nothing to lose because we don’t!

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Okay, now explain this to me after watching the TCU field goal replay. I’m games, we have had the refs hold for 5 seconds or more when we subbed but when TCU ran on the field, the ref marked the ball and ran out immediately. Shouldn’t he have sat on the ball on let Baylor sub? Looks like TCU should not have had an opportunity to kick the FG. I dislike Baylor, but that is the refs not doing what they are supposed to do and being inconsistent.

VIII. Late in the first half Team A is out of timeouts. A pass play on third down ends inbounds at the B-25 short of the line to gain with the game clock showing 0:10. Facing fourth down and three, Team A immediately hurries its field goal team onto the field. RULING: Team B should reasonably expect that Team A will attempt a field goal in this situation and should have its field-goal defense unit ready. The umpire will not stand over the ball, as there should be no issue of the defense being uncertain about the next play.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Inspired by McCarthy and Michigan’s opening up the playbook, ISU rolls !!!