*** Official IOWA STATE vs Villanova Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Regarding Grill’s shot, Scott C. Mentioned in a podcast that he would like to work with Caleb on his shot a little bit.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I didn't make it past 9th grade basketball and could shoot free throws at a 90% clip in practice.

I was just on the court at Bramalage a few weeks ago for a kids event, it's shocking how close the basket is in real life compared to on TV for 3 point attempts. Anybody that's ever played any kind of basktball on this board could easily hit the rim from 23 feet unguarded one out of four times.
After you've been defending your ass off and sprinting up and down the court? Just stop. The sofa athlete crap in this thread is getting really stupid.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
I was very impressed on how Lipsey calmly made four free throws in the closing seconds of OT. He did not look nervous at all, which is unusual for the true freshman. Plus, the free throws were no doubters.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
After you've been defending your ass off and sprinting up and down the court? Just stop. The sofa athlete crap in this thread is getting really stupid.
That's not what the OP said. He said none of us have even attempted a shot from 23 feet let alone in a game. Anybody that's ever been down to their local Y has attempted a shot like that, let alone any of us who played basketball at any level.

Then he said if we were in a game and everyone else just stopped and left you alone that none of us could even hit the rim at a 25% clip.

I'll take that bet any day of the week. Not that difficult with nobody guarding you, doesn't matter how much I've been running.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's not what the OP said. He said none of us have even attempted a shot from 23 feet let alone in a game. Anybody that's ever been down to their local Y has attempted a shot like that, let alone any of us who played basketball at any level.

Then he said if we were in a game and everyone else just stopped and left you alone that none of us could even hit the rim at a 25% clip.

I'll take that bet any day of the week. Not that difficult with nobody guarding you, doesn't matter how much I've been running.

So why doesn't everybody just make all of them?

Must be more difficult than you are implying.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
Well Kunc, Holmes, Osun, and Gabe are all absolutely playing their asses off and hitting 33% or better.

As much effort as we put in on D, I’ll take 33% any day

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
basketball
So why doesn't everybody just make all of them?

Must be more difficult than you are implying.
I'm not getting into that argument, that's not what I was responding to. Claiming nobody on this board could even hit the rim on an NBA 3 with nobody guarding them is just absurd.

trevn

Jerome Tang Surveillance Team
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I didn't realize that we have so many elite shooters and coaches in our fanbase.

The game is super easy. I know everyone played against elite athletes in high school or at the Y. I’m sure they played against people with 7 foot wing spans and had only a fraction of a second to get a shot off.

Most of the people talking probably take closer to a year to set up for their shot and take it.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Forget about frittering away a 16 point lead. Almost every Iowa State team in the past loses this game in OT, but TJ has them wired differently. I don’t think you can overstate how critical it is to win this game against a big name program like Nova and then play #1 UNC versus losing and playing Portland. If we’re on the bubble in March this could easily be the difference in getting in. Made my long weekend, it’s downhill from here.
Did you see TJ when it went to OT? He ran out on the court cheering and looking genuinely pumped to be going to OT (I think he actually was happy to go to OT). That has to be infectious for the team.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I realized this last season -- it feels like there's a thing TJ does really well, and that thing is finish out close games. Don't know what it is, but he's got clutch and gives it out to the players. The team last year rarely fell apart and lost late game.
Just my opinion, but I believe that "thing" you're referring to is called toughness, mental and physical.

Reactions: MeowingCows

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Did you see TJ when it went to OT? He ran out on the court cheering and looking genuinely pumped to be going to OT (I think he actually was happy to go to OT). That has to be infectious for the team.
I did see that and notice it right away, and it made me feel better as a fan just watching it.

Thing is, he could have gone the opposite direction; we coughed up a 7-lead point with just a couple of minutes left to let it get to overtime, but he didn't.

I'll admit I was not fully onboard with the hire; not so much because he was hired but more with the lack of a real search. However, it's obvious he's the right man for the job, and I wouldn't have anyone else in that chair besides TJ.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I did see that and notice it right away, and it made me feel better as a fan just watching it.

Thing is, he could have gone the opposite direction; we coughed up a 7-lead point with just a couple of minutes left to let it get to overtime, but he didn't.

I'll admit I was not fully onboard with the hire; not so much because he was hired but more with the lack of a real search. However, it's obvious he's the right man for the job, and I wouldn't have anyone else in that chair besides TJ.
Yeah I was a little skeptical as well but he's absolutely done amazing and I can't imagine a better fit. I love the way he goes about everything and I love how much he truly cares for the university. Never been more happy to be wrong!

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Just curious,.....how many on this board have been on a basketball floor and attempted a 23' shot? Let alone during a game.

I have 6 varsity games to officiate next week. Unguarded, none of you keyboard warriors would hit the rim 25% of the time in a game situation.

Time to pump yourself up,.....do it.
I specialized in the 23' shot. Had to stay that far away to avoid getting stuffed...pretty sure I would hit the rim on nearly every shot. :cool: #TooShortAndSlowButPlayedBBAnyway

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I specialized in the 23' shot. Had to stay that far away to avoid getting stuffed...pretty sure I would hit the rim on nearly every shot. :cool: #TooShortAndSlowButPlayedBBAnyway
I was always a good dribbler and a terrible scorer because my parents over the summers would say come back at dark and I didn't have a hoop outside so I'd dribbled around the neighborhood and basically was a tiny Harlem globetrotter with no actual game skills

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I was always a good dribbler and a terrible scorer because my parents over the summers would say come back at dark and I didn't have a hoop outside so I'd dribbled around the neighborhood and basically was a tiny Harlem globetrotter with no actual game skills
The gravel driveway always made for some interesting bounces so on a smooth hardwood floor dribbling seemed like the easy part. LOL

Hawkhunter

Nov 14, 2022
That was awesome! I'd like to see him get a little more engaged with the refs.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I thought ISU was done just from exhaustion.

I forgot they are conditioned to not gaf about something difficult.