MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
If you want to be a high level playoff caliber team, you have to be 100% confident what you put out there opening day (barring injuries) is a high level playoff caliber team

At this moment, I think we can all say

- We are not 100% confident in catching
- We are not 100% confident in first (if you think we should commit to Mervis 150 games at first, you’re contributing to the problem)
- We are not 100% confident in third
- We are not 100% confident in center

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse

Dansby is who I want least but seems to be the media favorite. Curious if his wife playing for the Chicago soccer team has anything to do with that.

More coming out via Bleacher Nation that we’re looking at Kiermeir or Bellinger in center. I would give my left nut for a chance to fix Bellinger

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Dansby is who I want least but seems to be the media favorite. Curious if his wife playing for the Chicago soccer team has anything to do with that.

More coming out via Bleacher Nation that we’re looking at Kiermeir or Bellinger in center. I would give my left nut for a chance to fix Bellinger

Hope you are not too fond of your left nut then. I guess I would be OK with a 1 year prove it deal for him. I have a hard time reading Bleacher Nation during the offseason and trade deadline as Brett gets a little carried away with the little bits of rumors he comes across. I get that it's for click bait but seems like he has the Cubs tied to anyone available. Heck he's probably go over the top if someone said Greg Maddux of Sammy Sosa was thinking of coming out of retirement and play for the Cubs he'd probably make a headline out of it.

I'm sure the Cubs are tied to talks with any free agent SS right now as they should be but until we see more smoke on some details like years and money offered I'm not holding my breath that they have the inside track on any of them right now.

Reactions: ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Cubs need a CF to holdover the spot for 2023 until they’re confident in Davis’ health and PCA can handle the big leagues.

Cubs need a 1B until they’re confident Mervis is the man.

Dodgers just non-tendered CF/1B Cody Bellinger.

Get a one year prove it deal done. Worst case scenario, he’s an automatic out and he’s off contract next year.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Cubs need a CF to holdover the spot for 2023 until they’re confident in Davis’ health and PCA can handle the big leagues.

Get a one year prove it deal done. Worst case scenario, he’s an automatic out and he’s off contract next year.
Abreu is a much better fit. Righty platoon for Mervis.

CyState85

May 8, 2019

What is the market for Bellinger? $10, 12, 15, 18 million?? I honestly don’t know

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
In some potentially positive news, Kaplan announced he’s leaving NBC Chicago, which means he’s leaving the only Cubs podcast that I can find that puts out regular content.

In general, can’t stand the guy. Wants to make moves based on emotion and when things don’t work, is a hindsight guy and blasts the organization for various moves.

That being said, he’s also the only guy that can shut down Gordon Wittenmeyer, who’s an even bigger ass clown. If Witt takes over, it won’t be possible to listen.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
What is the market for Bellinger? $10, 12, 15, 18 million?? I honestly don’t know
Dodgers weren’t willing to give him $18 million and it’s very likely they tried finding a team to trade for him for a bucket of balls instead of letting him go, so this tells us no team in the MLB was likely willing to even give him that much.

I would guess you’re looking at the $5-10 milly range. I doubt you see a team already in contention go above $10 million and risk poor spending. He makes much more sense for a team HOPING to compete.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Abreu handles 1B.

Bellinger handles CF.

If Mervis struggles in his adjustment, you have someone who can still play 1B
You'd be losing another prospect off the 40 man roster. Morel can play center till Davis or PCA are ready. If they aren't we can look to make a move at the trade deadline.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Abreu is a much better fit. Righty platoon for Mervis.
I'm not sure Mervis can't hit lefties. I'd have them both in the lineup as often as possible and see what happens. I saw some mammoth HRs this year off lefties from Mervis. I'm trying to find split batting stats for R/L to compare but can't seem to find it.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm not sure Mervis can't hit lefties. I'd have them both in the lineup as often as possible and see what happens. I saw some mammoth HRs this year off lefties from Mervis. I'm trying to find split batting stats for R/L to compare but can't seem to find it.
Keith Law also had a damning report that Mervis mashed waiting for hanging breaking balls and he won’t see that at the MLB level like he will in the minors. Also says Mervis struggles doing anything with fastballs in.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think he can too, but he may struggle a bit in the beginning. Abreu is 35 i think so DH would be ideal for both to get max ABs.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021

I’ll promote a trade of Michael A Taylor to cubs (from royals) for a neutral return.

Thoughts?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
You'd be losing another prospect off the 40 man roster. Morel can play center till Davis or PCA are ready. If they aren't we can look to make a move at the trade deadline.
I get a roster crunch, but if the FO is going to hold off on Bellinger and Abreu because they don’t want to risk putting

Mark Leiter Jr.
Michael Rucker
Adrian Sampson
Manuel Rodriguez
Rylan Bannon
Miles Mastrobuoni
Zach McKinstry
Rafael Ortega

Through waivers, then someone in the front office deserves to be fired.

Reactions: CycloneErik

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
In some potentially positive news, Kaplan announced he’s leaving NBC Chicago, which means he’s leaving the only Cubs podcast that I can find that puts out regular content.

In general, can’t stand the guy. Wants to make moves based on emotion and when things don’t work, is a hindsight guy and blasts the organization for various moves.

That being said, he’s also the only guy that can shut down Gordon Wittenmeyer, who’s an even bigger ass clown. If Witt takes over, it won’t be possible to listen.
I can't stand that Podcast anymore. Wittenmeyer is too much of an ass to listen to. He and Kaplan scream at each other and it's annoying as hell.

I listen to Locked On Cubs (M-F) and a new one just started, Cubs On Deck which is about the farm system. It is only occasionally during the off season and more often during the season.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I can't stand that Podcast anymore. Wittenmeyer is too much of an ass to listen to. He and Kaplan scream at each other and it's annoying as hell.

I listen to Locked On Cubs (M-F) and a new one, Cubs On Deck.
I’ll need to try Locked On Cubs again. I love Locked On podcasts, but listened to a couple episodes 2-3 years ago and struggled enjoying the host

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron