Could Iowa State go bowling at 5-7?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Yes, he does, but I don't think it worthless for three reasons:

First, APR being a factor, means that Iowa State Football is doing somethig right. At the end of the day, the kids working towards a degree is more important than winning football games. The reward is for having a high APR!

Second, in this awful, awful season where it feels like the sky is falling, ISU can still reach a Bowl Game, which is truly better than being 4-8, 3-9 or 2-10.

Third, having the extra practice time is like getting a free Spring Practice, and lord knows this team / program needs it! Use it! Practice young guys! Try new things!

So, in conclusion, 5-7 with a Senior Night win over Texas Tech and a bid to the First Responder Bowl vs. UNLV and a week in Dallas beats a loss to TT, 4-8, and a longer, colder winter.

Just my onion.

I'm not sure that rewarding failure is necessarily a good thing. What if going to a bowl game saves Manning his job for instance?

Maybe if we go play UNLV and get our a**es kicked.... that might be beneficial. Like Dresser said last night.... maybe getting completely humiliated in front of a bunch of people is what it takes to get better??

Reactions: Acylum

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I'm not sure that rewarding failure is necessarily a good thing. What if going to a bowl game saves Manning his job for instance?

Maybe if we go play UNLV and get our a**es kicked.... that might be beneficial. Like Dresser said last night.... maybe getting completely humiliated in front of a bunch of people is what it takes to get better??
It is a reward for having a high APR. That is not rewarding failure.

Reactions: khardbored

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Worthless?!?!?!? Our O Line will certainly get better with 12 more practices or whatever. Bowl game opponent stands no chance!

Our OL has only regressed this year with more practices. More practices does not help this unit.... only makes them worse.

• Agree
Reactions: SDClone and Acylum

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
"I really want to go to a bowl game Lucifer!!"

"Well Baltar perhaps the cold weather will enable the run up the middle from shotgun to finally work more than 5 percent of the time."

lucifer-battlestar-galactica-fb655dd3-dc22-4cee-856f-a883b447571-resize-750.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
I tend not to buy it. It just sounds like a cheesy excuse to me. I doubt there's a ton of benefit to it. I suspect any seniors with NFL prospects would smartly sit it out.

UCLA skipped a bowl game years ago because they would lose money on the deal. I think the financial aspect of any game that would invite a 5-7 team is worth looking at. If it would lose money, don't go at all. If the #s are fine, then go ahead, I suppose.
I remember when the payout from the Houston Bowl was messed up.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Oklahoma State is ranked 24th in the AP poll today. If they are the 24th best team in nation, I got no problem with Iowa State going to a bowl game at 5-7.

If you want to whine about going to a bowl at 5-7 being sad and embarrassing, file your complaint with the bowl system and not the Iowa State athletic department.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Oklahoma State is ranked 24th in the AP poll today. If they are the 24th best team in nation, I got no problem with Iowa State going to a bowl game at 5-7.

If you want to whine about going to a bowl at 5-7 being sad and embarrassing, file your complaint with the bowl system and not the Iowa State athletic department.

I'm a believer that 6 should be the minimum but college football created the problem and seems generally down right now so whatever. Proof being that this OSU team is ranked.

I won't complain about a team getting one more game together though.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

OSU being ranked is a total joke.

They have almost the worst defense in the entire country.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA

How bad does it have to be? 49-0? 77-3? People will just go back to the Norte Dame narrative that we were just outclassed physically, we are just young, just give them more time or they will just ignore it altogether like the Rajin Cajun debacle that started the best season in school history with our Fiesta Bowl win over a team that finished one game over .500

This defense makes these games look so close and yet with this offense actually manages to disprove the old saying, "Defense wins championships."

Reactions: Acylum

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

I wont ***** about going to a pointless bowl, but you should at least be .500 or better

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
This team doesn’t deserve a bowl game at 5-7. That would be an embarrassment. It doesn’t matter if there are a few more practices as it has been shown practices doesn’t seem to improve anything.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
I'll watch a bowl game if it's an exhibition of how the team performs with long-overdue coaching changes. Otherwise it'd be less frustrating to watch paint dry.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron