That 4th down call should be the nail for Manning

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Absolutely respect is something that’s earned and he has absolutely earned that. Did you guys just become fans in the last few years? Is he having a bad year, yes is he not telling us the answers or making some changes that we all think he should, yes but Campbell has made this program where a a very competitive 4-6 team that are a play here or there, some bad calls and some bone headed mistakes from being like 8-2 and bad season and worthy to fire him. He stays loyal to his players. We won the fiesta bowl 2 years ago and we we’re in the b12 championship game race three years in a row. I get the frustration but damn give the guy a break. He lost half his team to the NFL from last season. If he goes 4-8 three years in a row then maybe we start questioning him
4 and 8 three years in a row ... and then MAYBE START questioning? Now not sure about others on this board but you'd have to be living on a diet of quaaludes.

Reactions: SpringCreekCY

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I’ll tell you the play call that was even worse. About 40 seconds left on their 40 or so with no timeouts and we have X running a 2 yard crossing pattern. It went incomplete but if he had caught it he was not likely to get out of bounds and it would have cost at least 15 seconds, all for a 2 yard crosser.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
Getting rid of manning, definitely but Campbell absolutely not
You do realize that this very attitude is why Campbell does not have to ever get rid of Manning.

How many more short yardage shotgun runs up the middle through how many games for how many years and with how many different OCs (if it even comes to that) do we need to see before we realize that the innovative/adaptive coach we saw on both sides of the ball in 2017-2018 just isn’t the same anymore? It’s a moot point because I have a feeling we are going to find out.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
You do realize that this very attitude is why Campbell does not have to ever get rid of Manning.

How many more short yardage shotgun runs up the middle through how many games for how many years and with how many different OCs (if it even comes to that) do we need to see before we realize that the innovative/adaptive coach we saw on both sides of the ball in 2017-2018 just isn’t the same anymore? It’s a moot point because I have a feeling we are going to find out.
Yep.
The scarry possibility is he may be perfectly happy in a few seasons taking the millions he has saved up and riding off East and coaching at a small college. But he did it his way.

• Winner
Reactions: joefrog

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I thought Deckers was a little more athletic for some reason. Just seems really slow. He lost some weight but sure didn't help him scramble out of the pocket or designed runs. He is having a tough time finding a receiver and forces it then to avoid a sack. This is a combination of EVERYTHING in my view. Offensive line, poor play calling and a rookie quarterback among others. Can't imagine how worse it would be without X.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
4 and 8 three years in a row ... and then MAYBE START questioning? Now not sure about others on this board but you'd have to be living on a diet of quaaludes.
How many more freaking runs up the middle from shotgun, short passing routes and utterly lame brained play calls do people need to see?

Why do people think we have had injury issues with our RB stable? I think it’s a miracle of all miracles that Hutch isn’t hurt given all the times he’s been hung out to dry on those 10-20 short crossing routes just past the LOS we run every single game. We certainly flirted with Hutch being injured against KU.

The most damning thing of all to me is that we have seen very brief glimpses of trying something else. The game plan for the Texas game, 4th quarter against WV, the opening Second Half drive yesterday, and snapping the ball under center in our own end zone which led to a positive gain and no safety. We always regress to the mean which is the same five freaking plays.

21 points would have won both Kansas games and against the Cowboys yesterday. Instead of being 7-3 we are looking at 5-7 with a bowl game as our best outcome for the season. Do you know why this happened? Because they keep going back to the same game plan that does not work!! These games were not lost because the other teams were terrible talent mismatches for us.

If this continues we are going to be overjoyed if we can win more than three games a season. Do you really think anyone is going to want to play here when they clearly see this? Are talented running backs, receivers and any QB going to want to play this default game plan behind this o-line? Finally, how long until the talent erodes on the defense?

I think we are going to find out.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: SDClone and joefrog

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
I have a hard time putting much blame towards Dekkers. If you look at his numbers he is currently on pace to have more passing attempts than Purdy did in any season. His completion percentage is better than Purdy was besides Purdy's senior year. His issues are interceptions and taking sacks. The non existent running game has plagued him. When Purdy was here we had NFL caliber RBs to force the other teams defense to respect the ground game. Essentially the coaches are asking Dekkers to be Tom Brady and go win the game. Only thing is he only has one guy he can count on to catch the ball if he puts it at their hands. On top of that the oline forces him to 15 yards to get a first down. We should be surprised if Dekkers sticks around for this next year.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Absolutely respect is something that’s earned and he has absolutely earned that. Did you guys just become fans in the last few years? Is he having a bad year, yes is he not telling us the answers or making some changes that we all think he should, yes but Campbell has made this program where a a very competitive 4-6 team that are a play here or there, some bad calls and some bone headed mistakes from being like 8-2 and bad season and worthy to fire him. He stays loyal to his players. We won the fiesta bowl 2 years ago and we we’re in the b12 championship game race three years in a row. I get the frustration but damn give the guy a break. He lost half his team to the NFL from last season. If he goes 4-8 three years in a row then maybe we start questioning him

I love this narrative when it's not true.

'They lost all of that NFL caliber talent from a 7-6 team that sputtered throughout the year!'.

How many players from last season's team are even on practice squads?

Reactions: SpringCreekCY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yes they have, go watch their games the last 3 weeks compared to ours. They are better on offense right now.

I had that game on and while they still aren't a very good team, they at least adjusted to what they have and utilize it in a way that's simple and effective.

It would be like if ISU stuck with rolling Dekkers out so he can just find the open guy. Or going under center for a 4th and short because Hunter is a big strong dude. Or letting Norton stay the course when he's finding some things running the ball. Or had some pace between plays that kept the defense on their heels instead of pulling up and taking an entire play clock to make a decision.